• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boots for long narrow foot women

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
My daughter is 26 y.o. She is nearly 6' tall and has womens size 11+ feet. They are also relatively narrow and low volumne. It seems like this is very difficult boot to find off the shelf and she usually complains about boots she owns or rents. Would you expect a bootfitter to have "womens" boots in stock in that profile or would they shift her over to a very low volumne mens boot, or what? I think she ... maybe we ... are about to embark on another boot finding cycle.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My feet are 83mm wide and I wear a size 7 shoe. I'm in a 92 last race boot. How wide are her feet? I have chased the golden fit for 15 years and could never make anything work until I got into these boots. I do have an aftermarket liner as well because race liners are anything but comfy and don't take up enough volume.

But really, a competent boot fitter is who you need to see.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks. I don't know her exact width but a 99 last seems too wide according to her. I am not even sure about that because advertized last is normally at a much smaller size than 11.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
My daughter is 26 y.o. She is nearly 6' tall and has womens size 11+ feet. They are also relatively narrow and low volumne. It seems like this is very difficult boot to find off the shelf and she usually complains about boots she owns or rents. Would you expect a bootfitter to have "womens" boots in stock in that profile or would they shift her over to a very low volumne mens boot, or what? I think she ... maybe we ... are about to embark on another boot finding cycle.
The ski boot has no idea of a person's gender - it only knows the foot & body going into it and the physical forces acting upon it.

When shopping for boots, treat yourself (herself) as an individual who is nearly 6' tall, has feet that are 27cm long (semi-educated guess), relatively low narrow and low volume, etc. Ignore gender. Match the boot to the person.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
The ski boot has no idea of a person's gender - it only knows the foot & body going into it and the physical forces acting upon it.

When shopping for boots, treat yourself (herself) as an individual who is nearly 6' tall, has feet that are 27cm long (semi-educated guess), relatively low narrow and low volume, etc. Ignore gender. Match the boot to the person.

The above statement from onenerdykid is correct, however may be jumping the gun a bit, assuming that she is truly a women's 11+

First of all understand that the boot suppliers can only be profitable when they build the fewest number of permanent steel molds, and are able to build multiple models out of as few molds as possible. What this means is that it is very rare for women's boots to truly be women's boots. Can they mold them out of pretty colors? Yes! Can they afford to make lasts that are specific to how women's feet are shaped? Not so much. For example many companies build all of the smallest size boots like 22, 23, and 24 in a women's specific last whether it is a mans model or a women's model. The 25 is usually a combo last that is a blend between mens and women's specific. And the 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30 are all mens specific lasts. Aside from color, some of the women's specific boots will have cuffs that are specific to the women's models that may be shorter, more flared at the calf, or have some sort of quick adjust spoiler shape that better accommodates a women's lower calf muscle.

Secondly deciding over the internet that your daughter is an 11+ in size is a nice number to know, but until she is properly measured on a brannock you are guessing. Americans do not ever wear their measured shoe size!!! How could we ever expect them to be comfy in their measured ski boot size? Her size, if she really is a women's 11 is actually a mens 10. Mondo point length does not differentiate between mens and women's. A 26 is a 26 regardless of the sex of the individual standing on the sizer. Which could mean that she is between the 26 and the 27 shell. And when the foot is long and narrow, it will call for the lowest of volume boot in the forefoot as well as over the instep and around the ankle to get a good fit. That means more than likely going with the smaller shell size to get the lowest roof, narrowest heel, and narrowest forefoot. if they are a little short at the big toe, you can always bump it out enough to give toe freedom. That said you should know that those dimensions are unicorn feet to the ski boot business. There is not a model or brand siting in a box that will be a slam dunk for your daughter. More than likely depending on her athleticism and skill you may be able to get her into a race boot from Lange, Atomic, or Dalbello. They all make a 92mm forefoot, softer flexing model that can flex down to approx 110/120, with a normal height cuff in sizes 26 and 27.

You could also go with the larger shell size and back fill the extra volume with a foam injected liner. However if you start with a shell that is too big and attempt to take up too much volume with injected foam, you run the risk of another bad boot experience. The shell shape and its proximity of match to the foot is the horsepower that delivers long term performance and fit comfort to the skier.

Another issue at this time is the amount of product or lack of product in the retail pipeline at this time of the season. I am not saying it cant be done, it's just that there will not be unlimited quantities of the type of boot that will work for your daughter.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks much. both @otto and @onenerdykid, I really appreciate you taking the time to write that. Not my feet so I cannot say much, but I know that she seems happier in a 27 than 26 will still likely compalain it's either too short, too wide, or both. Yeah I get that goes together. I gave up and sold her 26 boots last month. All her shoes at home are 11 or 11.5 and she gets help with gym or running shoe purchases, but ski boots have been a crap shoot and we dont exactly have good bootfitters where we live.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Do you travel to ski? Either the West or Northeast?

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
West mostly. Colorado in January and March this year. Barring worldwide disaster, will be at Steamboat in 2 weeks. She just came back into skiing 2 years ago, bought some terrible boots because that is all that was available on short notice in Virginia in January 2020. She's finishing grad school and unless shes moves somehere better probably won't ski more than 10 days a year for quite a while.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
GF ended in a STI130, and quite a bit far from where we thought initially

she went through a loooooooooooooooot of boots to be happy.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
To wrap this up a little, skier one tried a few options and found some just good enough rental boots. She also got fitted at Christies (at the slope) who were gracious and thorough and fit her into a 27.5 S/MAX series which felt so good I thought she might cry but they only had a 120 and she decided for a lesser flex. They called around and we visited several shops with a list of the candidates but no one else had a low volume 27.5. Everyone said just order it online and bring it in for a thorough fitting. Her feet right on the 27 line and symmetric with no oddities other than narrowness. Considering the progress she made and the amount of time we spent on moguls maybe the 120 would not have been so bad, so she is reconsidering it. Regardless, this has to be her decision, not mine :).

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
To wrap this up a little, skier one tried a few options and found some just good enough rental boots. She also got fitted at Christies (at the slope) who were gracious and thorough and fit her into a 27.5 S/MAX series which felt so good I thought she might cry but they only had a 120 and she decided for a lesser flex. They called around and we visited several shops with a list of the candidates but no one else had a low volume 27.5. Everyone said just order it online and bring it in for a thorough fitting. Her feet right on the 27 line and symmetric with no oddities other than narrowness. Considering the progress she made and the amount of time we spent on moguls maybe the 120 would not have been so bad, so she is reconsidering it. Regardless, this has to be her decision, not mine :).

I think 120 flex should be totally fine for her given the info you have provided so far.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A few years ago I did some research on shoe sizes and relation to ski boots, here is the short version.
American 10 is about
a Non American 8 (hopeful I haven't mixed these first two up)
which is a 42
which is 26.5 (btw this is cm) and also mondo.

The last to are fairly consistent, the first two not so much. I won't even through womens sizing into mix as it primarily only applies to North America sort of.

That said, go by the last two and final fit will be that compromise between comfort and performance.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think 120 flex should be totally fine for her given the info you have provided so far.

It is easy to soften a 120 to a 110. Also, the Max in my opinion is soft 120. It is also a better boot, but many other brands outshine. I think that boot is a 100 last, not a 98. Check that.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife has AAA foot and the only solution was a custom foam liner in a race boot softened by carefully cutting the clog. Expensive but worth it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife has AAA foot and the only solution was a custom foam liner in a race boot softened by carefully cutting the clog. Expensive but worth it.
And if you amortized the addtional cost over the 3-8 years she will have the boot, its not that much. This si where I get frustrated with people tripping over pennies to save dollars. OMG it is going to be $XXX!! for a boot. What is your skiing enjoyment and comfort worth?

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear a women’s 10 and am in a 25.5, Lange RS 130.

Not sure of her weight but a 120 seems like a decent flex for her given her height.

Where are you skiing in Colorado? She needs individual attention from a good fitter.

Let us know where you are going and we can give you suggestions.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
@otto, @Philpug, when talking race boots is size 24(and 25) a shortcuff? And is it the same for all flexes?
I think Lange shares the cuff for those 2 sizes, Dalbello has a 24 specific cuff, no idea about Atomic STI(@onenerdykid can you help with this).

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
For reference: Male, foot length 27+ cm, width 95 mm. I wear a men's size 11 street shoe as measured with a Brannock device.
I've been in a 26.5 boot for several years, different brands.
As others have mentioned, flex can be softened. So, a 120 flex may be a good starting place.
The boot may turn out to be a "race boot" but don't let that put you (her) off it just mean's a narrow boot.
A quick test would be to do a shell fit with her existing boot. Take the liner out and put the foot in the shell with the big toe just touching the front of the shell. Then measure the space behind the heel to the shell. If it's more than 3/4" the boot is too big. A shop should always do a shell fit but only the good ones do. I'm guessing the reason she liked the 27.5 S/MAX is there were no pinches when trying them in the shop. This can be an indicator of too large a boot. Shell material can always be ground or punched to eliminate "hot spots". I have a prominent fifth met head, it always touches the shell when doing a shell fit. I have had a punch to eliminate this in all my boots. Pads can be used to fill in voids and so can after market liners. Liners such as Intuition's have the added benefit of being very warm, something race liners are not known for.
Also look for a shop that has a 3D imaging machine so she can have a better idea of how her foot will fit in various boots. These machines help the fitter know where to pad or punch. However the shop should still do a shell fit.
Even with all the above fitting info she will still have to make a return trip to the fitter for tweaks to the fit. This is why it might be a good idea to go to a fitter on your first western trip. She can have the boot fit and adjusted then re-adjusted after skiing for a day or two.

Regards,

RC

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@otto, @Philpug, when talking race boots is size 24(and 25) a shortcuff? And is it the same for all flexes?
I think Lange shares the cuff for those 2 sizes, Dalbello has a 24 specific cuff, no idea about Atomic STI(@onenerdykid can you help with this).
Atomic’s Redster boots use unisex cuffs on all sizes, except models with “LC” in the name (low cuff).

One cuff is shared on two shell sizes (MP 26 and 27 use the same cuff) but on the larger boot the cuff is positioned higher. This means there are always consistent jumps in cuff height from size to size.

The same cuff is used on TI & STI but on STI the cuff mounting points are 9mm lower, so the effective cuff height on STI is lower than TI.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, this thread went longer than I did. Thank's everyone !! In the end, she got an Atomic Hawx Ultra something in a 27.5 and learned to put it on properly and is now very happy with it. I only skied with her 2 days but she did well. I would like her to take it to a boot fitter but who knows - she spent the exact same money on a Taylor Swift ticket, and a lot more on travel, and you can guess which she likes better.