• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boots too much flex.

TS
A

Aklin458

Booting up
Skier
But haven't you already paid for the season rental package? If you've paid for it, why not continue to use the skis? Will they give you a refund on everything since they don't have appropriate boots? If anything I'd ask if they could pro-rate the package since they don't have boots that work for you, and continue to use the skis so you have something to ski on while you can take time to demo and figure out what you want in a ski before making a purchase.
I did Snowbasin’s learn to earn program, it gives you season rentals, 3 group lessons, and a season pass for $700. I’m not worried about loosing money on the rental since it was part of the package and extremely cheap. I can demo most skis here, so I was going to do a few day demos and see what I like. Just wanted to know what I should put on my short list to test.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will suggest a two step approach. Once you have new boots, use the ski you have been on to see the different performance characteristics of the boot. Once you get a feel for the input transfer, you can better evaluate the properties of different skis. If you have a relationship with the instructor in your lessons, they would be a great resource to recommend a type of ski, frontside carver, all mountain wide, narrow etc.. With that knowledge, the folks here can help you with their experience of various models. Good luck.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Yes, you need to get a better boot. Most 80 flex boots are not necessarily beginner boots but price point boots. To get to that price point, they use the lowest quality materials, especially in the liner that they can get away with.

But you are in SLC where you have a plethora of good fitters like Brent Amsbury at his shop and Ernie (Bootwerks in PC).
If You really like skiing

Please Ignore the rest of the noise on this thread

Head over to Brent

Make an appointment

Hand him your wallet

And enjoy your skiing career

Signed

Your sisters Favorite Boot Fitter

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Since I will be buying boots, I will also need skis since I won’t be doing seasonal rentals. Any recommendations? Looking for an all mountain ski for Utah that is forgiving, and I can continue to advance on.

Get the boots sorted out then demo some different skis.. Phrase is , you date your skis, you marry your boots. Even the limited options at the place you are renting can direct you where you can demo some different types of skis. Skiing what you're used while breaking in the boots is probably best to help you dial in those boots properly. Traying to sort out both new boots and new skis at the same time isn't recommended.. especially for someone who is learning...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I did Snowbasin’s learn to earn program, it gives you season rentals, 3 group lessons, and a season pass for $700. I’m not worried about loosing money on the rental since it was part of the package and extremely cheap. I can demo most skis here, so I was going to do a few day demos and see what I like. Just wanted to know what I should put on my short list to test.
Did you by chance upgrade to 3 private lessons? If so, ask your instructor because he can definitely give you recommendations on skis to consider.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Very interesting thread to follow.

My one trip to a master bootfitter that's been recommended on these forums was quite disappointing. He seemed much more interested in chatting with buddies than helping me out.

So it's nice for newer skiers to be able to find information independently, like any activity sometimes if you're new you don't get the same treatment as regulars/experienced folk.

I've been using S Pro 100s and honestly have no clue if they're the right stiffness for me.

If you want a boot evaluation, Brant at Sturtevants (Sun, Mon) would be great.

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've been getting similar advice on a thread I started.

I'm in Fischer. RC One 90's, and intermediate on the left side at 6' 220lbs.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

Ask your instructor.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I wouldn't stress too much about your boot's stiffness at this point. I was teaching advanced intermediates for the last three days. We were in chopped up snow, bumps and running GS gates. My boots were unbuckled the entire time. It is likley not the boots.

Focus on skill acquisition through dedicated and purposesful practice with an instructor. Let them dictate what you need.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Forgive the slight hijack, but let me ask a question of the experts. What magic words should a person use with a bootfitter to let them know they're serious about getting a fit, and not just looking for a quick purchase? I've visited a few bootfitters (with locally good reputations) and none of them took a good look at my feet other than putting them in a Brannock device; they brought out maybe 2 pairs of boots in my size, and basically just watched me as I put them on and clomped around. I'm certainly not the best skier on the mountain, but I most certainly am the best skier in my neighborhood. So what do I say when I go shopping to let the fitter know I'm ready to spend some time getting things right?

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
@motogreg, I hear you. Most of the high-reputation fitters I've worked with seem to want to get you out the door in a comfort fit ASAP, even when you've booked an appointment and told them exactly what you want. Maybe they don't start to take you seriously until you've been sitting in their chair 8-10 times? I'm on my 6th visit on my latest pair, and they'd still rather put me back in a bigger boot than do proper customizations.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Cliff notes...

I'm looking for a new ski boot.

What do you have currently? What do you want this boot to do better, and what are you working on/toward in your skiing?

I have a ___________ that I've had for ______ seasons. I'm getting coaching, and am working on ___________.

How many days a week/season are you skiing?

Who's your coach? (If i know them, I'll call them and ask for their take.) What skis are you on? Binding?

Do you have a footbed? Did you bring it with you? (Examine, check condition and fit validity... reuse, or make a new one)

Mobility check, measure, etc... find boot that meets anatomy, ability, mobility, and narrative, explain what and why as well as anticipated work needed...

A very experienced fitter will have a very good idea of a couple of boots that might fit the bill. It may seem that they arent paying attention, but if theyre asking key questions and you're answering, they're already doing the calculus.

If they arent asking questions, walk away.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
they brought out maybe 2 pairs of boots in my size,
This...
A very experienced fitter will have a very good idea of a couple of boots that might fit the bill.
A good fitter, who knows his/her inventory rarely has to bring out more thant two-three pairs.

motogreg

Skier
This...

A good fitter, who knows his/her inventory rarely has to bring out more thant two-three pairs.
Well, they were the only 2 pair they had in my size and over a 100 flex, an apparently rare 25.5. And one, the Roxa, felt like my forefoot was in a vise. Oh, to be in the mountains with a variety of retail options in driving distance.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, they were the only 2 pair they had in my size and over a 100 flex, an apparently rare 25.5. And one, the Roxa, felt like my forefoot was in a vise. Oh, to be in the mountains with a variety of retail options in driving distance.
You may need to go to a shop that deals with more discerning customers :huh: . Is there a race oriented shop near where you usually ski?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
25.5 shouldn't be rare for a men's boot, 24.5, maybe but not 25.5. the same for women's boots and a 22.5. I am sure this shop had a wide aray of 30.5 for men (and 27.5 for women).

motogreg

Skier
25.5 shouldn't be rare for a men's boot, 24.5, maybe but not 25.5. the same for women's boots and a 22.5. I am sure this shop had a wide aray of 30.5 for men (and 27.5 for women).
I was being facetious, I would think a 25.5 would be pretty common.

REally didn't mean to derail the thread, sorry, it's just that I've been threatening to blow $700 on new boots for 2 seasons now but so far haven't found anyone to take my money. I've actually considered taking the Masterfit classes just to be able to take matters into my own hands.....I do my own mounts and tuning now due to shop errors, why not fully invest? Maybe next season....

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was being facetious, I would think a 25.5 would be pretty common.

REally didn't mean to derail the thread, sorry, it's just that I've been threatening to blow $700 on new boots for 2 seasons now but so far haven't found anyone to take my money. I've actually considered taking the Masterfit classes just to be able to take matters into my own hands.....I do my own mounts and tuning now due to shop errors, why not fully invest? Maybe next season....

This is rather late in the season to seriously look for boots. We usually get our shopping done by late Oct.

Sponsor

Staff online