• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am saving rig

how much would be reasonable to spend on boots? I am saving right now to buy at end of season (sales), and have a goal of $300 is that enough?
Possibly. The problem really comes down to finding boots that fit. Boots in that price range will be softer (flex number) and more geared towards intermediate skiers. That may be fine ... but it does depend on your weight and your physical strength. My son was able to ski soft boots until about 16 when he bulked out and began developping his adult muscle mass. Some boys develop that younger. You should definitely be able to find boots under $500. $300 might be a bit too low for new boots.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Find a seasonal rental at a place that will spend time on the proper setup.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Find a seasonal rental at a place that will spend time on the proper setup.
This is the best advice and the best approach at your age. I live in Southern California and we didn't have that option. A seasonal rental will provide a better fitting boot than a daily rental so don't think of it the same way. Also, it gives you a longer time to keep saving and when your feet stop growing, you can buy a great pair of boots that will last for years.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Would it be reasonable to buy them a bit big so I can get more seasons out of them?

I buy my kids' boots big so we get two seasons out of them. You'll hear a lot of different opinions here, which is helpful but might be confusing. Given the fact that you could grow 4 inches in a year, my humble advice is to buy big or find a seasonal rental. I understand the allure of buying your own equipment but in your price range unless you get lucky at a shop you'll have to get them off ebay, where it's a pain to return things that don't fit and items are frequently in worse conditions than advertised.

My kids have done fine with the two year gear cycle and are pretty good skiers. We ski quite a bit recreationally but they never got into racing. Some people will insist you get proper fitting gear and go to a boot fitter, but honestly you can enjoy the activity for much cheaper. Imagine you were a novice biker and your buddies were going mt biking at a state park. Sure you could go out and spend $1,000+ on a new bike, but that old trek in your garage will probably get you around the trails and you'll have a great time anyways.

Now, I'm not saying if you're 5'5" to go out and get some 183 cm skis because your Dad is a tall guy, I'm saying you will be fine if you buy boots a size too big.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the best advice and the best approach at your age. I live in Southern California and we didn't have that option. A seasonal rental will provide a better fitting boot than a daily rental so don't think of it the same way. Also, it gives you a longer time to keep saving and when your feet stop growing, you can buy a great pair of boots that will last for years.
At our local shop, the seasonal lease packages are brand new gear every year. The returned items are sold used at the ski swap in the fall.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some people will insist you get proper fitting gear and go to a boot fitter, but honestly you can enjoy the activity for much cheaper.

I am sorry, but since when is doing soemthing correctly always more expensive? A good fitter will be empathetic to his needs and put him in a leftover or returned boot within his budget.

This...
Even though it's a hike, I'd go to Pro Fit Ski and see Brian. I think he's a friend of @Chef23 as well.

The fitting is included in the price of the boots if you purchase there, and the boots are priced the same as big box stores, they may have sale boots as well. Foot beds would be extra.

At least talk to Brian before settling. He is awesome.

Talk to Brian.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
how much would be reasonable to spend on boots? I am saving right now to buy at end of season (sales), and have a goal of $300 is that enough?

You should definitely be able to find boots under $500. $300 might be a bit too low for new boots.

Everyone is giving you good options, esp seasonal rentals. You can also specifically ask if the shop has any previous years models. I've only owned 2 pairs of boots & both were new old stock that shops had leftover. I paid $150 & $175. This isn't everyone's experience, but if you get kinda lucky and find an older boot that fits, you don't have to spend a lot.

Mark-172

Alta or Brighton... hmm...
Skier
I'd also recommend Pro-Fit Ski in Leesburg. The seasonal rental seems the best deal in your case. In the meantime try learning about foot anatomy and how to measure the arch of your foot. I never had a good fit out-of-the-box until I got my boots correctly heat-molded and punched out. Good luck !

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I am saving rig

Keep in mind that most places have sales in Labor day, too. At your age, there is little reason to buy right at season end and maybe have your feet grow during summer.

If you do season rentals, try to go to a place where they also do boot fitting. They will put you in a better sized boot.

TS
unassumingpanda

unassumingpanda

looking for my poles
Skier
Keep in mind that most places have sales in Labor day, too. At your age, there is little reason to buy right at season end and maybe have your feet grow during summer.

If you do season rentals, try to go to a place where they also do boot fitting. They will put you in a better sized boot.
labor day is a good idea as I am already taking a trip to D.C. in August

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Do you have an idea of how much? Thanks.

Around 50 bucks for off-the-shelf, 200 for custom.

You are asking all the right questions for a newbie, and so young. Kudos!

The one thing you need to keep in mind is that boot-fitting is incredibly technical. And so is this sport in general. Please stay away from "big-box" stores. I started skiing 4 years ago and I started off in a big-box place. I wasted 650 bucks on a boot fitted by a completely inexperienced kid. I had to buy again soon. Total waste. Rentals there would be terrible.

When you get to a real ski shop, even if for season rentals, you will see the difference. These people ski all the time, they take courses for boot-fitting, and know so much about your foot, what it needs, etc. Things like shin alignment, canting, etc. It's a whole world.

So, my humble suggestion is that once you have an overall plan, you ask here for suggestions for good places. We all do when we get to a new area, etc.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you have an idea of how much? Thanks.

Around 50 bucks for off-the-shelf, 200 for custom.

You are asking all the right questions for a newbie, and so young. Kudos!

The one thing you need to keep in mind is that boot-fitting is incredibly technical. And so is this sport in general. Please stay away from "big-box" stores. I started skiing 4 years ago and I started off in a big-box place. I wasted 650 bucks on a boot fitted by a completely inexperienced kid. I had to buy again soon. Total waste. Rentals there would be terrible.

When you get to a real ski shop, even if for season rentals, you will see the difference. These people ski all the time, they take courses for boot-fitting, and know so much about your foot, what it needs, etc. Things like shin alignment, canting, etc. It's a whole world.

So, my humble suggestion is that once you have an overall plan, you ask here for suggestions for good places. We all do when we get to a new area, etc.

One of the reasons I suggested at least talking to Brian is I felt like he respected my budget and skiing and didn't try to upsell me into things I didn't need. He put me into a decent $30ish foorbed and didn't try and talk me into customs.

All of the advice you've gotten is valid. Pro-Fit does seasonal rentals and families, it's not a place just for pros. If you talk about your skiing goals, your budget and the fact that at 14 you've saved your money and are paying for things yourself and that it's not on your parents credit card, I believe they could figure out something that could work really well for you. Good Luck.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am sorry, but since when is doing soemthing correctly always more expensive? A good fitter will be empathetic to his needs and put him in a leftover or returned boot within his budget.

Well I'm just a dumb parent and not trying to pick a bone with anyone. Given he has $300 to spend I though it would be helpful to point out other options since buying new without sizing up might not be realistic, which is why I also suggested a seasonal lease.

I suppose he could get lucky and find some beginner boots for $250, or less if he can use junior boots, in which case he could decide to buy a new pair each year or size up. If it were a choice between more money on gear or more money on the slopes I feel more time skiing would be money better spent.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Custom footbeds can run anywhere from around $80- $150 depending on what you need. Since your foot is still growing, it is best to buy some off the shelf footbeds like super feet. They run around $60 but you still need to see a bootfitter who will tell you which model you need. Truthfully, this is better because they offer better foot support. However, it is not really necessary. Most of us learned to ski on the stock footbeds which come with the boot. Once your feet have stopped growing and you are getting fully dialed in to your own boots, you should consider this. If you have pain or other foot issues, super feet footbeds will solve a lot of basic problems. I practiced what I preach with my own son, who I love dearly. He is an excellent skier and can ski pretty much any terrain now (21yrs old). My husband is the one who makes me close my eyes in terror when he takes my son where I dare not go!

Go see Brian - who everyone is recommending. Tell him your plan. Get a seasonal rental and build a good relationship for the future.

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I get a kick out of the foot growing stuff. My feet have been the same size since I was 12. Only my belly keeps growing.:roflmao:

I agree with the season rental thing, whether the feet grow or not. As skills continue to develop, he may need better boots to progress.

TS
unassumingpanda

unassumingpanda

looking for my poles
Skier
I get a kick out of the foot growing stuff. My feet have been the same size since I was 12. Only my belly keeps growing.:roflmao:

I agree with the season rental thing, whether the feet grow or not. As skills continue to develop, he may need better boots to progress.
ditto on the foot growing, I have worn the same size shoe for 3 years now.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am sorry, but since when is doing soemthing correctly always more expensive? A good fitter will be empathetic to his needs and put him in a leftover or returned boot within his budget..

The problem is there are so many non-empathetic boot fitters, due to the internet.
There are so many people who go into a boot fitter and are price-shopping so use up the fitter's time to pick a boot, and then they pull up their phone and price compare it for the lowest price and either just leave to go buy online; or outright will say match this price.
Meanwhile, perhaps more seasoned skiers willing to spend money are getting ignored.
So the bootfitter has trouble screening their customers from the browsers and the buyers.

I have seen at a few shops, that some people that bring up money and if they have a budget that is way too low; the fitter begins to fit you in with internet cheapskates group, and begins to cuts his losses and time and effort. Those that come in and say "take my money please" are going to be more worth his time.

It;s actually a same customer filtering problem at cardealerships now, so many people utilize the local dealerships just for testdrive; but never buy local and just go on the internet. So dealers got to come up with methods of testing who's serious about buying from them, versus utilizing them only for a testdrive. (e.g. you made an appt to look at a specific car, versus off the street; you don't jump into haggling immediately).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The problem is there are so many non-empathetic boot fitters, due to the internet.
There are so many people who go into a boot fitter and are price-shopping so use up the fitter's time to pick a boot, and then they pull up their phone and price compare it for the lowest price and either just leave to go buy online; or outright will say match this price.
Meanwhile, perhaps more seasoned skiers willing to spend money are getting ignored.
So the bootfitter has trouble screening their customers from the browsers and the buyers.

I have seen at a few shops, that some people that bring up money and if they have a budget that is way too low; the fitter begins to fit you in with internet cheapskates group, and begins to cuts his losses and time and effort. Those that come in and say "take my money please" are going to be more worth his time.

It;s actually a same customer filtering problem at cardealerships now, so many people utilize the local dealerships just for testdrive; but never buy local and just go on the internet. So dealers got to come up with methods of testing who's serious about buying from them, versus utilizing them only for a testdrive. (e.g. you made an appt to look at a specific car, versus off the street; you don't jump into haggling immediately).

You are absolutely correct and i have experienced every example you have brought up. We call it theft of services. The one difference here is this young man is being sent to a fitter that would be willing to work with him and help his stay in his budget.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
You are absolutely correct and i have experienced every example you have brought up. We call it theft of services. The one difference here is this young man is being sent to a fitter that would be willing to work with him and help his stay in his budget.

Wow. So, people really do that? Sigh. Of course, all they ate getting is a shell fit, and missing all of the alignment benefits. It's still theft. How sad.

:nono:

Sponsor

Staff online