• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boris Johnson’s new bike

James

Out There
Instructor
I’v only done a little oxy welding on common steel. It’s a totally zen experience when that sound goes down, it gets quiet and you’re working the glowing molten puddle.

Weren’t all steel bikes brazed years ago? I guess they had lugs though to make precision cutting and fitting of the tubes not necessary. I’m not sure the actual brazing was all that different. Less precision needed I guess.

Aluminum airframes were oxy-acetylene welded till the early 70’s I think.

Last edited:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
On some days I can make a TIG torch work.
The thing about welding is that it is like shooting pool.
If you don't do it every day you lose your stroke.

IMG_3294.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My buddy was a full-time MIG/TIG welder..dude's welds were immaculate. Practice makes perfect I guess. Mine looked mustard squirted out of a stopped up container....

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tried my hand at frame building years ago using oxy acetylene and lug brazing. Let's just say it weren't that good... :roflmao: it's a fine skill and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise!!:ogbiggrin:
The Bible- some of the geometry discussed is dated but if you want to build a lugged frame, this is the best.
DFC34A4E-6958-4167-BF2C-224C832DC7AF.jpeg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

When I visited the Moots factory in 2019 their welders were practicing when they weren't actively building frames. They'd try new techniques and experiments in spare tubing cuts and it was fascinating to watch.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On some days I can make a TIG torch work.

View attachment 136014
My buddy was a full-time MIG/TIG welder..dude's welds were immaculate. Practice makes perfect I guess. Mine looked mustard squirted out of a stopped up container....
In my previous life we employed some machinists and metal fabricators to repair excavation equipment
The stuff they would build was nothing less than a work of art.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Harry Havnoonian a frame builder was (is?) in Media, just outside of Philly.

Still is. I read an article somewhere saying he was going to make Eroica-type bikes with period-correct French or Italian-type finesse metalwork.

I had no idea there was a bicycle manufacturer in Philly - very cool!

Will we see you at the Bike Expo? It's run by the Bilenky crew. You can meet all the other local-ish builders like Drew Guldalian of Engin in Chestnut Hill.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Did anyone see Joe Biden’s gift to Boris Johnson for the G7 summit? A custom bike from Bilenky Cycle Works in Philly built a cool bike in record time (like, a few days)!:

G7 summit: Joe Biden gifts Boris Johnson custom-made bike https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57453840

View attachment 135747

Looks like a TIG welded steel frame? Anyone know what those components are? The chainring/crankset is really cool.

Hopefully this creation will bring a lot of good publicity for that small (4-person) bike manufacturer!

Looks ok. Would have looked much better with the silver seatpost and stem imho. Thomson makes them in silver. The black cassette as well. Looks a bit odd. Ditto with the black brake calipers.

The frame looks really really nice though.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A lot of track riders had Havnoonian frames. Good to know he’s still doing his thing.
Honestly, I don't know if he is, thats why I said was/is?

Sponsor

Staff online