• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brahma 82 or Kendo 88 for East Coast

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
Hi! I’m a 6’1” 245 advanced skier looking for a versatile ski for East Coast moguls, firm (icy) groomers and some trees. I’m torn between the Blizzard Brahma 82 (2022-23) and the Volkl Kendo 88 (2023) This ski will compliment my Nordica Unleashed 98s. I’m leaning toward the Brahma 82 for its narrower waist and edge to edge quickness in the nasty bumps we get here in the East, but I do want some flexibility for some off piste skiing as well, which is why I’ve ruled out dedicated carver type skis like the Firebird HRC or Atomic Redster. Would greatly appreciate some insight from those with experience on the Brahma and Kendo skis. Thanks!

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi! I’m a 6’1” 245 advanced skier looking for a versatile ski for East Coast moguls, firm (icy) groomers and some trees. I’m torn between the Blizzard Brahma 82 (2022-23) and the Volkl Kendo 88 (2023) This ski will compliment my Nordica Unleashed 98s. I’m leaning toward the Brahma 82 for its narrower waist and edge to edge quickness in the nasty bumps we get here in the East, but I do want some flexibility for some off piste skiing as well, which is why I’ve ruled out dedicated carver type skis like the Firebird HRC or Atomic Redster. Would greatly appreciate some insight from those with experience on the Brahma and Kendo skis. Thanks!
I love my Brahma 82’s. Very good carver but quite capable all mountain ski. The Kendo is also a very good ski. I guess it just depends on what waist size you are leaning towards.

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
Quiver.
The 82s won't make deep snow trees all that much easier or funner. The 88s are not what want on hard snow. It comes down to what's more important to you, arcing and moguls or deep soft snow. (BTW what makes deep snow trees funner is full rocker 108s).
Thanks! For what might be considered “deep” in the East, I’ve got my 186 Nordica Unleashed 98s - another reason I’m leaning toward the narrower Brahma 82. I also like the 180 option in that ski - thinking I can ski that a tad shorter than normal given it’s beefy construction.

Ottoclave

Booting up
Skier
So, I'm similarly sized as the OP, but a little lighter. While the narrower ski is nice when you have consistent hardpack, I find that as soon as there is any variability in the surface, the 88s can handle those different surfaces better, and you're always on the right ski, at least until the snow goes over the top of your boots.

I tried some Blizzard Firebirds at 76 underfoot in combination with 98 underfoot Volkl Mantras, and ditched the Blizzards for Enforcer 88s and am much happier now skiing typical Sugarloaf conditions. I think that the combo of 88 + 98 is a little close, but that's a story for another time.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm also a bigger guy. I have both the Brahma 82 (180cm) and Brahma 88 (177cm) that I use frequently in that quiver spot. If I had to pick one, it would be the 88. It doesn't give up much quickness vs. the 82, and adds a little bit more stability and versatility when snow conditions get roughed up. I much prefer it over the Kendo, as it is more damp and predictable and the Blizzards don't have the hollow/pingy sound on hard snow vs. the Volkl. Another ski that warrants consideration would be the Rossi Experience 86 Ti - it will handle the conditions very well.

Last edited:
TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
I'm also a bigger guy. I have both the Brahma 82 (180cm) and Brahma 88 (177cm) that I use frequently in that quiver spot. If I had to pick one, it would be the 88. It doesn't give up much quickness vs. the 82, and adds a little bit more stability and versatility when snow conditions get roughed up. I much prefer it over the Kendo, as it is more damp and predictable and the Blizzards don't have the hollow/pingy sound on hard snow vs. the Volkl. Another ski that warrants consideration would be the Rossi Experience 86 Ti - it will handle the conditions very well.
Thanks! So u don’t find the Brahma 88 to be too demanding of a ski when not skiing full throttle and in bumps? The idea of a 177 now intrigue’s me, with the shorter length offsetting it’s burliness. At my size, I do need a more stable ski once the speed picks up. The Experience 86ti is also under consideration.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks! So u don’t find the Brahma 88 to be too demanding of a ski when not skiing full throttle and in bumps? The idea of a 177 now intrigue’s me, with the shorter length offsetting it’s burliness. At my size, I do need a more stable ski once the speed picks up. The Experience 86ti is also under consideration.
I don't find the Brahma 88 to be overly demanding. I find it very confidence inspiring, intuitive, stable and reliable. It really sings when you're aggressively driving the tips, but doesn't punish you when you ski more centered and neutral. I'm often puzzled by it's reputation as being overly burly and demanding, as I don't find it to be either.

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
I don't find the Brahma 88 to be overly demanding. I find it very confidence inspiring, intuitive, stable and reliable. It really sings when you're aggressively driving the tips, but doesn't punish you when you ski more centered and neutral. I'm often puzzled by it's reputation as being overly burly and demanding, as I don't find it to be either.
Maybe that rep come from the opinions of sub-175lb skiers. Lol. Was wondering if you’ve tried the Enforcer 88, while we’re taking that width range. But if I went Brahma 88, maybe 183? 177 May ski too short for me.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
IMHO, the Brahma 88 in 183cm, becomes more of a GS style ski, loses some of nimble nature of the 177cm. The 177 is very good in bumps, the 183 requires more attention and precision. I'm 6'1", 250#, been skiing for over 50 years, still ski pretty fast and aggressively. I haven't found too much of a speed limit on the 177cm Brahma, keep it on edge and I've regularly ski it up around 40+mph. RE: The Nordica Enforcer... I've tried them all and I just don't jive with those skis, they are not for me. I know that the Enforcers are excellent for many folks. So you might ski them and think that they're great. So don't let my individual experience necessarily deter you from trying them. The Kendo is also very good, I just don't like it as much as I do the Brahma 88. Don't sleep on the Rossi Experience 86 Ti, it's the best Rossi that I've skied for quite some time. If possible, demo as many of these as you can.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was in the same Blizz/Volkl zone. Then I demoed a few Stocklis (AR/SR88/SR95). I bought the AR in 182cm/83 underfoot. It is my east coast 1 ski quiver good for everything from ice to 1 foot of new snow, bumps, trees, chopped up new snow. 6'2". 210lbs.

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
Thanks! The Stockli AR would probably be ideal, but could get both a Brahma 83 and 88, w $$ left over for bindings for the price of the AR with the deals available now. Obviously hard to justify the AR. Although I am tempted to sell my Unleashes and perhaps pick up the AR w plan to pick up a 105+mm ski in the future. Hmmmm.

afadeev

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
I own Brahma 82s (180cm, selling them now, actually), and they are excellent front side carvers.
For someone your weight (I'm not too far behind), neither ski will float in the powder, nor keep you from falling through ice crust off piste. If it's icy and skied-out off-piste, then either ski will work.

For myself, I've upgraded to (longer) Monteros for the frontside, and have 98s and 105s for powder and/or slush.

HTH,
a

P.S.: If you can only have 1 ski, go with 88's. Otherwise, get the 82s and the wider options, as use them as appropriate for the conditions.

Last edited:

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
So, I'm similarly sized as the OP, but a little lighter. While the narrower ski is nice when you have consistent hardpack, I find that as soon as there is any variability in the surface, the 88s can handle those different surfaces better, and you're always on the right ski, at least until the snow goes over the top of your boots.

I tried some Blizzard Firebirds at 76 underfoot in combination with 98 underfoot Volkl Mantras, and ditched the Blizzards for Enforcer 88s and am much happier now skiing typical Sugarloaf conditions. I think that the combo of 88 + 98 is a little close, but that's a story for another time.
For Sugarloaf my best quiver is the Nordica Spitfire 72 and Brahma 82. Those skis cover 80 percent of the conditions at the loaf, I have Nordica Enforcer 88’s and love them also. 2 inches of snow and the 72’s do just fine, same as the Brahmas.

James

Out There
Instructor
Go 82. Or narrower.
By the time you get to 88, the ski edge is beyond your foot. So when you tip, it fights you. Nothing like gliding on narrower skis and tipping your foot and the ski just starts turning. Whoosh.
You’ve got something wide for soft and deep.

severou

Booting up
Skier
You have the Unleashed which supposed to be an awesome soft snow, tree ski. Why not go narrower? Like one of the easier Atomic Redsters or Rossi MT or whatever discounted wannabe(but not race) ski you can find.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Trust me?