• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brahma 82 or Kendo 88 for East Coast

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
IMHO, the Brahma 88 in 183cm, becomes more of a GS style ski, loses some of nimble nature of the 177cm. The 177 is very good in bumps, the 183 requires more attention and precision. I'm 6'1", 250#, been skiing for over 50 years, still ski pretty fast and aggressively. I haven't found too much of a speed limit on the 177cm Brahma, keep it on edge and I've regularly ski it up around 40+mph. RE: The Nordica Enforcer... I've tried them all and I just don't jive with those skis, they are not for me. I know that the Enforcers are excellent for many folks. So you might ski them and think that they're great. So don't let my individual experience necessarily deter you from trying them. The Kendo is also very good, I just don't like it as much as I do the Brahma 88. Don't sleep on the Rossi Experience 86 Ti, it's the best Rossi that I've skied for quite some time. If possible, demo as many of these as you can.
Appreciate the insight- especially about the Brahma sizing. A 177 ski that’s still stable for big guys like us sounds like a blast to ski.

Reactions: BMC
TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
I own Brahma 82s (180cm, selling them now, actually), and they are excellent front side carvers.
For someone your weight (I'm not too far behind), neither ski will float in the powder, nor keep you from falling through ice crust off piste. If it's icy and skied-out off-piste, then either ski will work.

For myself, I've upgraded to (longer) Monteros for the frontside, and have 98s and 105s for powder and/or slush.

HTH,
a

P.S.: If you can only have 1 ski, go with 88's. Otherwise, get the 82s and the wider options, as use them as appropriate for the conditions.
I do have Nordica Unleashed 98s, which is why I was leaning toward the Brahma 82s

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s hard for me to believe that, if you demoed a Brahma or Kendo, you would be this uncertain. For ostensibly similar skis, quite a few people have a strong preference for one or the other. I personally dislike most Blizzards because they feel, to me, like cheaper versions of the old Kastle stuff. The Volkls don’t feel like “budget” versions of a premium ski to me by contrast because they are a bit more “fun.”

Some others accurately (IMO) cite the Volkl layup as being sort of annoying. My least favorite part of the Volkl Mantra 102 is that it is less damp than I would prefer (but it seems basically impossible to make a ski too damp for me).

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Ha - I wish. I can get a set of new earmark 82s for $425.

Never discount the price of happiness.

My other suggestion would be a have a custom ski built based on your preferences. (My preferred option)

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
Never discount the price of happiness.

My other suggestion would be a have a custom ski built based on your preferences. (My preferred option)
I obviously meant Brahma 82- custom skis not in my foreseeable future, but Stockli ARs, very possibly.

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
It’s hard for me to believe that, if you demoed a Brahma or Kendo, you would be this uncertain. For ostensibly similar skis, quite a few people have a strong preference for one or the other. I personally dislike most Blizzards because they feel, to me, like cheaper versions of the old Kastle stuff. The Volkls don’t feel like “budget” versions of a premium ski to me by contrast because they are a bit more “fun.”

Some others accurately (IMO) cite the Volkl layup as being sort of annoying. My least favorite part of the Volkl Mantra 102 is that it is less damp than I would prefer (but it seems basically impossible to make a ski too damp for me).
Problem is that I haven’t had an opportunity to demo either, so I’m just gonna wing it.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just because a ski like these costs less does not mean it is a downgrade.

For example, to me both the Kendo 88 and the older versions of the Brahma 88 are much more comparable skis to the Monteros and Lasers I've tried or owned, not cheaper downgrades. There are pluses and minuses to each of these skis, on an equal or near equal footing.
And the preferences are partly subjective, including those surrounding such huge cost differences.

Nonetheless, they tell me that the new Montero AR is improved from the previous Laser AR models - more versatile maybe?
Less confined or glued to its own particular carve perhaps?

Also, the newer Kendo 88 is much improved, really a standout, but still with pluses and minuses.

(And to me, the newer Brahma, in particular the 88, is less dialed in than the previous version of a few years ago - don't know about the 82s.)

A buddy of mine in the business, whose ski choices I learn from, loved the Kendo 88s and owns last year's, downsized (170) version
for bumps and trees, and steeps.
He has just gotten this year a pair of current Montero ARs in 180.
That has put that ski, at that length, back on my radar.

(I could easily have owned the Kendo 88 ski, which is really good; but I own instead a downsized pair of the earlier version of the Brahma 88/173s.)

(For what it's worth, a carving front side biased ski this narrow (like the AR) in 175 or so is often likely to be too quick from edge to edge, in an "in between" sort of way that is to me a bit awkward, unlike the same ski in 168 or less - or in 180 or more.)

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
Well, I wound up going w the Brahma 82s in 180. Tested them out at Stratton today and holy sh!t do these things rip. We had some firm conditons, ice and a several inches of fresh snow later in the day. These things are EASY to turn as any speed, support my big ass body carving at higher speeds (30mph), and did fine in 3”-4” of pow - my Unleashed 98s obviously get the nod there, but I could still rip through the soft stuff w the Brahmas. Had so much fun on these things today. Appreciate all the feedback. Apparently, at my size I need to take reviews about skis like this being difficult to ski in a relaxed fashion w a grain of salt. Shiiiiit. I bet I’d love a set of HRCs, but enjoyed the versatility of the Brahmas today.

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
Having now had a taste of a ski that rips, and loving it, wondering how I’d like a Bonafide 97 or some other powerful ski w no speed limit for those days in the East that warrant a wider ski. I found the Brahmas much more stable than my Unleashed, so now wondering if I should be looking at more powerful skis for my wider option, like the Bonafide, Mantra M6, Enforcer 94 or 100 perhaps??

Reactions: BMC

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Having now had a taste of a ski that rips, and loving it, wondering how I’d like a Bonafide 97 or some other powerful ski w no speed limit for those days in the East that warrant a wider ski.

What kind of day “warrants a wider ski” for you? It seems increasingly, to me, the wider all mountain skis like the Bonafide differ from there narrower brethren mostly in turning radius (wider skis are longer radius) and how easy the tail is off piste (wider skis are usually less flat).

You ain’t floating on the east coast often and if you could, you won’t on a ~100 underfoot metal laminate ski.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, I wound up going w the Brahma 82s in 180. Tested them out at Stratton today and holy sh!t do these things rip. We had some firm conditons, ice and a several inches of fresh snow later in the day. These things are EASY to turn as any speed, support my big ass body carving at higher speeds (30mph), and did fine in 3”-4” of pow - my Unleashed 98s obviously get the nod there, but I could still rip through the soft stuff w the Brahmas. Had so much fun on these things today. Appreciate all the feedback. Apparently, at my size I need to take reviews about skis like this being difficult to ski in a relaxed fashion w a grain of salt. Shiiiiit. I bet I’d love a set of HRCs, but enjoyed the versatility of the Brahmas today.
Yeah, I absolutely love my Brahma 82’s.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Having now had a taste of a ski that rips, and loving it, wondering how I’d like a Bonafide 97 or some other powerful ski w no speed limit for those days in the East that warrant a wider ski. I found the Brahmas much more stable than my Unleashed, so now wondering if I should be looking at more powerful skis for my wider option, like the Bonafide, Mantra M6, Enforcer 94 or 100 perhaps??
The 183cm Bonafide 97 would add a bit longer turn radius and similar feel to the Brahma 82 but with MUCH more mass. The performance in crud or variable snow would be improved greatly.

Available on insane deals deals too at $400 CAN/under $300 US.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Appreciate the insight- especially about the Brahma sizing. A 177 ski that’s still stable for big guys like us sounds like a blast to ski.
I own it. I ski Australia 20-25 days a year and that’s the ski I use there at least 90% of the time. Oz skiiing is typically early morning ice moving through to late afternoon sugar bumps and slush. There’s occasional fresh snow days too but it’s mostly that ice to slush cycle. The Brahma 88 covers all that very well.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If by with no speed limit you mean maintain precise control at irresponsible speeds: M6 in 184 or 191 yes. Bonafide 97 no. Enforcer :huh:?
If by with no speed limit you mean go more or less where they are pointed at high speeds without feeling unstable, then pick whatever turns your crank.
That's coming from a lightweight, btw.

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
If by with no speed limit you mean maintain precise control at irresponsible speeds: M6 in 184 or 191 yes. Bonafide 97 no. Enforcer :huh:?
If by with no speed limit you mean go more or less where they are pointed at high speeds without feeling unstable, then pick whatever turns your crank.
That's coming from a lightweight, btw.
High speeds while still feeling stable. No to Bonafide huh?

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
The 183cm Bonafide 97 would add a bit longer turn radius and similar feel to the Brahma 82 but with MUCH more mass. The performance in crud or variable snow would be improved greatly.

Available on insane deals deals too at $400 CAN/under $300 US.

Wow - didn’t they change them a bit in either 2022 or 2023?

TS
M

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
What kind of day “warrants a wider ski” for you? It seems increasingly, to me, the wider all mountain skis like the Bonafide differ from there narrower brethren mostly in turning radius (wider skis are longer radius) and how easy the tail is off piste (wider skis are usually less flat).

You ain’t floating on the east coast often and if you could, you won’t on a ~100 underfoot metal laminate ski.
Ah, I see. That’s the trade off. Soft snow spring days and the occasional 4”-8” powder days, sometimes more. The Unleashed 98s are a pleasure in soft stuff and moderate POW.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I believe the 2015 Bonafides were good to go (going on hear-say), but for me the and later ones, when traveling along at mile a minute speeds gave you a choice between not turning or trying to make a too-small turn for that speed. They did change them and changed them again at least once more, imho every time in the wrong direction (for me). They made them "more accessible to all skiers and easier to initiate and release turns dynamically" (paraphrasing). A good marketing decission, as most skiers don't ski fast and would never know how bad they are at high speeds.

Sponsor