• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month hits home

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few years ago I posted about how Breast Cancer has touched our lives in a close and personal way.
Members of this community, which I'd like to stress as a community, shared their close personal stories about how breast cancer has impacted the lives of men and women who thrive here on Pugski.com.

This year it hits a little closer to home because I was diagnosed with breast cancer two weeks ago after a long overdue mammogram. We have been tredging through the next steps with biopsies, surgeon appointments and (because of this community) reaching out to members who have walked this path. @Wendy and @margaritamarcia have been invaluable resources.

The day after I was diagnosed, my mom was diagnosed with her second bout of breast cancer. I had a planned trip to Michigan to spend time with family which proved to be amazing therapy for me during this snapshot in time.

I'm not asking for your sympathy but I'm asking you to take charge of your own health. Pay attention to your body, men and women, be well!!

I will leave you with the graphic yet poignant message from Melissa Ethridge. I Run for Life.

Last edited:

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just sent you a private message @Tricia but will share with everyone that I know what a body blow a cancer diagnosis is. 19 years ago today, I got confirmation that I had a rare cancer, and remember the shock of it (it didn't help that I was advised, wrongly as you may be able to tell ogsmile, that I would only have a few years to live). There is much that modern medicine can do, and as a result, there is every reason to hope that a diagnosis can be defeated, even if there may be some not so great moments in your treatment ... which happens to most of us who get a diagnosis. You can and will win this.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks.
Because someone pm'd me about the stage I'm in as a followup; I have early stage one. 2 masses will be removed. Both are contained, one is benign and the other is pre-cancerous. The one that is precancerous was not detectable without a mammogram. I feel very lucky to have caught it at this stage and very optimisitc about the outcome.

I really like my surgeon. She walked into the room and said, "I know you're both probably a little anxious, but I'm about to put your mind at ease..."
Because of my mom's previous and current breast cancer diagnosis, she is setting me up with a geneticist, however she recommended that I move forward on the lumpectomy ASAP to get it out before it becomes problematic

The crazy thing is, the surgery is essentially outpatient. Follow up with an oncologist will determine course of post op treatement, which will most likely not include chemo or radiation, but we'll know more after they get the little buggers out of me.

Surgery in 2 weeks.
They put a couple RFID Savis in place for markers. I was kinda hoping I could get them programed to act as a ski pass :D

My mom's case is a bit different. While she is having a mastectomy, she is also likely to make a full recomvery.

Breast cancer is no longer a death sentence as it once was. I appreciate the support system I have around me.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My 78 year old mother has had cancer 4 times and is 4 years past her last bout. (She'll be burying me at this rate) Medical science is amazing, good luck with treatment and getting on snow as soon as possible.
My mom is 72, had a mastectomy (Left) 12 years ago, and has surgery schedued for the right on the 20th.
She just contacted me about the genetics appointment. She had 10 pages of family history to fill out.

Edit to add: Breast cancer isn't going to kill my mom but the fact that she can't be here with me while I'm going through it may just kill her. Ya know??

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Time to take the velvet off the hammer and destroy that cancer. Stay tough, get well.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for sharing. This must be a tough time.
You have a powerful community behind you.

Onward! We are here to support you.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You know I'm more concerned about you hitting the slopes wearing a
buff then this because I know you'll hit this one out of the ball park and get thru it stronger than ever :) ...the Buff, who knows ;)

Best wishes to you and your mom :)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@Tricia the news is sad but not beyond hope. Follow your doctors advice and stay positive. We in the community all care for you and wish you the best of outcomes in this fight. I will also say a prayer for you as others will most likely do as well.
PS. Will also add a prayer for your mom.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Cancer sucks.

It's awesome that you caught it so early. That is especially crucial! And thank you for posting this -- awareness helps encourage others to address medical issues that may become much worse with time.

Good luck with your treatment. Sending positive vibes.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That would make for an interesting, ummm, wiggle? to get the scanner to register it!!!
:roflmao:
Is it too much to say, there'd be a lot of this going on in the lift gate?
Banane20.gif

I'm finding that its good to laugh about things while not trivializng what's happening.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cancer sucks.

It's awesome that you caught it so early. That is especially crucial! And thank you for posting this -- awareness helps encourage others to address medical issues that may become much worse with time.

Good luck with your treatment. Sending positive vibes.
I acutally had two friends tell me that they are overdue for their mammograms because of covid but are calling their doctors to schedule today.

Its important to emphasize the lump that is precancerous is so small it was not detected during self examination. Mammograms are important.
If this post encourages anyone (men and women) to schedule those important check ups, I've done my job.
Also, I've found great support and invaluable resources in other Pugskiers who have been on this same path.

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Glad you caught it early and here's to everything going smoothly during and post surgery. 2020 sure has a lot up its sleeve, doesn’t it? Needs to be done.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Be strong and positive. You will beat this. This is just a bump in the breast...err in mean road :ogbiggrin:

Edited to add: Best wishes to your mom.