• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Breckenridge Recommendations

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Beaver Run is our go to. Great place and easy walk to Main Street and they have a free shuttle. We used Alpine for rentals the last couple of years. I used Christy’s back in the early 2000s with no issues. I know Alpine has discounts if you do it all on line.

Fred Zapp or Jane Tarlow are the two instructors my wife and I use. Both are excellent people and have been instructing for 25+ years.
If you are a vet, call Beaver Run to book and ask about vet rates. Typically 50% of advertised rates. The ski in/ ski out in bldg 4 is nice, but wasn’t worth it for us. If you can get bldg 3 it’s the closest to the ski lockers and the hub. You walk out of the locker room and across the patio and your in snow. Bldg 1 and 2 are fine, but we prefer 3. 1,2,3 all use the same ski locker room.

You can book a shuttle ( https://www.epicmountainexpress.com/) (https://www.summitexpress.com/) to drive you up from the airport to Beaver run. Beaver helped some of our family members book it and got them some discounts. If you are staying in Breck, you don’t need a car once you get there. Very little free parking in town, even the resort charges per day. Some others will chime in about travel to the other ski areas. Summit county has free buses to use as well.

Before I live in Colorado I stayed there a few times and its was great. I agree that you dont really need or even want a car while in Breck unless you have day trips in mind to other places. The skiing and the town will keep you busy for days. Breck is probably the most well known Colorado resort in the world after Vail but still retains its charm and coolness. It can be crazy crowded some holidays but overall its a good place to go. If you avoid the base and lodge areas at key times of the day you can still have some space and solitude in the alpine.

Regarding skis I would use sub 100mm wide skis most days there. The alpine gets pretty windy so wind buff is the order of the day most days. Breck has some great groomers below the alpine (peak 10 specially) where some good edgehold is welcome.

TS
M

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Before I live in Colorado I stayed there a few times and its was great. I agree that you dont really need or even want a car while in Breck unless you have day trips in mind to other places. The skiing and the town will keep you busy for days. Breck is probably the most well known Colorado resort in the world after Vail but still retains its charm and coolness. It can be crazy crowded some holidays but overall its a good place to go. If you avoid the base and lodge areas at key times of the day you can still have some space and solitude in the alpine.

Regarding skis I would use sub 100mm wide skis most days there. The alpine gets pretty windy so wind buff is the order of the day most days. Breck has some great groomers below the alpine (peak 10 specially) where some good edgehold is welcome.

Yep that, plus just the fact then when with my wife I’ll be on groomers, means I’m bringing my Laser AR 83. I’m thinking a day or two I’ll rent something like a 96 maybe ripstick or the rustler 9. Something in that range to go alongside the AR.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Slope-Style carries a number of ski brands with a good demo fleet, check them out. Also keep in mind that last year the top of the mountain wasn't open until the end of January. This year isn't starting out to well.... You may be skiing a lot of groomers, those Stockli's will come in handy!

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
When skiing Breck, a basin, copper, etc, they all have a high altitude base area and approach 13000 ft at the top. Even Dillon is at 9200 ft. I always stay the first night in Denver to acclimate to the altitude.

TS
M

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Slope-Style carries a number of ski brands with a good demo fleet, check them out. Also keep in mind that last year the top of the mountain wasn't open until the end of January. This year isn't starting out to well.... You may be skiing a lot of groomers, those Stöckli's will come in handy!

Stöckli's will come in handy but I am stoked about the snow that just came in. So thinking We might bring new skis home for the wife. Any of the breck shops apply demo rentals towards skis? then again she wears junior race boots due to her foot size so the rental cost is probably equal to the junior skis or close to it. Guess it may not be an option.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Slope-Style does. My guess is most of the shops will do. The only place in town I have bought skis from is Slope-Style, most of my skis are a bit to niche for shops in Breck.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid