• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Breckenridge ski instructor recommendations

BobBeau

Putting on skis
Skier
Ski trip planned to Breck first week in March. Looking for a Beginner/Intermediate lesson. If there's someone you can recommend by name, I will try to request them when I make the reservation. Also, is the private lesson worth the cost over the group lesson? I've been told the group lesson is limited to 3 or 4 people.

Thank you

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sure there are other names that could be recommended but I had a lesson with Matt Turnquest just a few weeks ago. I thought he was a great instructor. For a private lesson you can have family or friends with you to help defer the cost and basically have a private group session. I took a group class though and lucked out and only had two of us in our class however a friend of mine had eight in his class that same day.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sure there are other names that could be recommended but I had a lesson with Matt Turnquest just a few weeks ago. I thought he was a great instructor. For a private lesson you can have family or friends with you to help defer the cost and basically have a private group session. I took a group class though and lucked out and only had two of us in our class however a friend of mine had eight in his class that same day.
Sylvan Kline
JJ Huan
Ray Hildebrand
Jenn Losch
Patrick Guilbert

All of the above are great instructors - they are usually teaching level 7 - 9

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mike Hafer--PSIA Demo Team. He is based out of Vail but if he is available, he can come to Breck or Beaver Creek. You will be hard pressed to get someone better.

SkiSchoolPros

Impact Ecosystem- ie.Money with Meaning
Skier
Sylvan Kline
JJ Huan
Ray Hildebrand
Jenn Losch
Patrick Guilbert

All of the above are great instructors - they are usually teaching level 7 - 9
Only know him from golf, but JJ is a good guy and very interesting.

Mike Hafer--PSIA Demo Team. He is based out of Vail but if he is available, he can come to Breck or Beaver Creek. You will be hard pressed to get someone better.

Mike still lives in Summit and is an excellent choice.

I've successfully referred clients to Dave Holdcroft (who was recommended by former sup Dan Grunes who is a full cert that was F-T at Breck for years and now P-T...another really nice person.)

Not sure if Rick ~Hwerway is still there, but he'd also be on my recommended list.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
So my wife and I just got back from Breck and we had a chance to get private lessons with both Jane and Pete Hamlin thanks to @Nancy Hummel recommendation.

My wife is new to skiing (20 days 1.5 years but it was pre covid) and working up to true west coast blues ( she can do it but not comfortable, especially after the Covid break last year). Jane and Pete were both wonderful at breaking down where she was at and I saw massive noticeable improvement in her skiing each day and usually in just a few hours. UNfortunately are final day got messed up due to Covid but I could not recommend either one of them more not only for their instruction but just everything else - they truly made it a wonderful experience for my wife (and I although I wasn’t the focus).

Last edited:

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
So my wife and I just got back from Breck and we had a chance to get private lessons with both Jane and Pete Hamlin thanks to @Nancy Hummel recommendation.

My wife is new to skiing (20 days 1.5 years but it was pre covid) and working up to true west coast blues ( she can do it but not comfortable, especially after the Covid break last year). Jane and Pete were both wonderful at breaking down where she was at and I saw massive noticeable improvement in her skiing each day and usually in just a few hours. UNfortunately are final day got messed up due to Covid but I could not recommend either one of them more not only for their instruction but just everything else - they truly made it a wonderful experience for my wife (and I although I wasn’t the focus).

Awesome! I love when things work out!

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone recently tried to request an instructor for a lesson? I don’t see any option for it when booking online and if you call the ski school number there is currently a message that says the call center is unavailable and to please visit the website. I’ve called several days in a row now.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone recently tried to request an instructor for a lesson? I don’t see any option for it when booking online and if you call the ski school number there is currently a message that says the call center is unavailable and to please visit the website. I’ve called several days in a row now.
try sending an email to [email protected]. I arranged my ”group advanced lessons” through direct contact with the instructors (whose contact info I had). They arranged with their supervisor to be “on duty” for the group advanced lessons the days I was there

Sponsor

Staff online