• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Breckenridge skier dies after falling from chair lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
That is sad. I bet that ultimately the finger will point at Breckenridge because the seats weren't swept clean.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is, indeed, tragic but to echo a thread a month or so back, the article notes that the bar was up. I have cleared snow from a seat even with the bar down, and with the wiggling around to clear snow, bar down is clearly safer. But, as was noted in the thread about the two teenagers who died at Copper, this guy wasn't likely aiming to do something life ending. I suppose we can all learn a lesson from it, but it's a ghastly way to learn it.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
To add insult to injury. He was also a former ski patroller and an operations risk manager.

The snow on the seat is no joke. Your butt warms the snow up and they become layer of super slippery water and snow mix. No matter how experienced you are, you can’t fight physics. It could be innocent shifting your weight a little, or lift stopping, and you’re having close calls.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All it takes is a brief second of inattention.

NOT a bar vs. no bar post, but Thursday at Copper (with gusty winds) we were riding the American Flyer/blue bubble chair. Bar was down, bubble was up. We raised the bar slightly early and a gust caught the bubble rocking the heck out of the chair. Scary as there is nothing to grab on to, and at that chair it's a fair drop to the ground even close to the unload point. Yes, I was unnerved.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
NOT a bar vs. no bar post, but Thursday at Copper (with gusty winds) we were riding the American Flyer/blue bubble chair. Bar was down, bubble was up. We raised the bar slightly early and a gust caught the bubble rocking the heck out of the chair. Scary as there is nothing to grab on to, and at that chair it's a fair drop to the ground even close to the unload point. Yes, I was unnerved.
I’m in favor of bars down, but many people don’t like it. I leave it up because I don’t want to cause inconvenience to others.

James

Out There
Instructor
We’ve had people fall off in that scenario.
Your only choice if in the middle is to stick your hand up and push the bar up, sort of holding you. But it’s a bad angle.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I’m in favor of bars down, but many people don’t like it. I leave it up because I don’t want to cause inconvenience to others.
I beg to disagree with your assumption. What "inconvenience" people had against bar down?

Most people don't "dislike" bars down. They're just too lazy to pull it down.

So if you want it down, do it! I've NEVER EVER had anyone objecting to my wanting the bar down.

(I only want the bar down if I'm wearing a backpack, which puts me slightly forward on the chair. I want the extra safety the bar provides in that scenario)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The Summit County Sheriff investigation determined the safety bar was up..." Low occurrence / high consequence. I am a fan of the bar.
Agreed . And yet, one out of five times I request to lower the bar someone on the lift seems terribly annoyed or offended. Go figure! My condolences for this tragic loss

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
The snow on the seat is no joke. Your butt warms the snow up and they become layer of super slippery water and snow mix. No matter how experienced you are, you can’t fight physics. It could be innocent shifting your weight a little, or lift stopping, and you’re having close calls.
Yep. I am super scared when it happens to me and tell myself not to slip although it feels like I'm about to. Feels like at any moment you can banana slip right underneath the bars even.

It's worse if the seat is short and a lot of your legs hang over the edge and if the seat doesn't slope backward towards the backrest.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, PSA for others: lower the bar on that chair. I can usually take or leave the bar, but I always always always use that one. The seat is shallow and angled forward. And you're right, don't raise it until the last second. (Actually, I don't understand why people always raise bars two towers from the terminal, on any chair ... the most dangerous part is often right at unload.) Glad everything worked out.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
Doesn't Le Buble auto raise? I took that lift several times and the bar + bubble raise is automated (but it happens super late, just gotta wait, wait, wait, wait....).

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier
I ski (on groomer days) and snowboard (on powder days) so it's been snowboard season and at *most* resorts, I don't like the bar down if it has foot rests. Due to a previous knee injury, using the foot rest tweaks my knee and having it down prevents me from supporting my snowboard to keep the weight off my knee. That being said, 90% of people want the bar down and I don't ever question or protest it. It's not life changing.

At Beaver Mountain in Utah, the foot rest hangs much lower and its great...for me. My 5 foot skier wife can't even reach the foot rests. ;)

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
I beg to disagree with your assumption. What "inconvenience" people had against bar down?

Most people don't "dislike" bars down. They're just too lazy to pull it down.

So if you want it down, do it! I've NEVER EVER had anyone objecting to my wanting the bar down.

(I only want the bar down if I'm wearing a backpack, which puts me slightly forward on the chair. I want the extra safety the bar provides in that scenario)

That's pure foolishness, and I am being kind.

It feels like I’m causing other people trouble or doing things others don’t like. Tall people might get hit in the head by the vertical part that lands on the seat; people might get pinched by it too, and footrests might catch someone’s ski. On top of that my local lifts are short, and only ski patrols here use the bar. Maybe going forward I should just do what I want, hopefully more people join in and change the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.