• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Breckenridge skier dies after falling from chair lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
An adult has to be really moving around, making a deliberate decision to squirm around a lot, to fall off.
Or the chair has to stop suddenly. That's been mentioned here at least once in the last six months - a poster said he saw adults fall off a chair in front of him when the lift stopped.

I'd imagine a wind gust could also do it, but what do I know? You seem way more knowledgeable since you can assess when to use a bar and when not to.

These days, you can't step on a ladder without noticing 10 warnings on it.
Yeah, it's brutal for those of us who want to live free and think rationally. So annoying.

Last edited:

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
Or the chair has to stop suddenly. That's been mentioned here at least once in the last six months - a poster said he saw adults fall off a chair in front of him when the lift stopped.

I'd imagine a wind gust could also do it, but what do I know? You seem way more knowledgeable since you can assess when to use a bar and when not to.

I like to prepare for events with a reasonable chance of occurrence (such as deciding whether to wiggle around in the chair or not) — rather than preparing for extremely rare freak events. For example have you seen the recent video where a tire broke loose from a truck and sent another car airborne on the freeway? I’m not going to worry about tires breaking loose from other cars

A lot of people are not very good at risk assessment, for example they will be terrified at the top of a blue run like they will die if they fall, while at the same time think nothing of riding a bike down the street, when the chances are many times greater they will be injured or killed by a car suddenly pulling out of a driveway.

I’d like to see actual statistics, numbers regarding people falling out of ski lift chairs caused by some external factor. If it’s common maybe I’ll think differently but everything I read it seems very rare, in the category of freak accident sort of thing.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
preparing

interesting-charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory.gif

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Alright, I think yet another "bar thread" has run its course. Thank you for the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online