• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I would but they're already over $5k...

I heard you were a Caddy guy - how about a paddlewheeler boat?

OTOH, if one of you doesn't get this I will be seriously disappointed in the lot of ya.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OTOH, if one of you doesn't get this I will be seriously disappointed in the lot of ya.

I had the previous version with the grillless front and also a 4 cyl sedan too.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Up to $3.65M already with 2 weeks to go... I wonder if there's any chance it eclipses the highest sale on BaT, that the LaFerrari set a few weeks ago? ($5.36M)
The Bugatti Chiron is now at $4M with 5 days to go.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Will they drive the Bugatti into a lake?
According to the comments on Youtube the driver was trying to scam the insurance company but due to the video he got caught and spent some time in jail for fraud.....As a former insurance claim adjuster, I could have told the driver a fool proof way of scamming the insurance co. and he wouldn't even have to get wet. :ogbiggrin:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Up to $3.65M already with 2 weeks to go... I wonder if there's any chance it eclipses the highest sale on BaT, that the LaFerrari set a few weeks ago? ($5.36M)
Up to $4.269MM. A bit more than 4 hours to go in the auction.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Up to $4.269MM. A bit more than 4 hours to go in the auction.
Getting pretty close to the record! That is the second highest bid car on BaT, whether it goes higher or not. The next hghest bid is $2.8M for a 1927 Mercedes.

And the McLaren Speedtail currently up is at $2.35M and will have one of the highest bids ever too. That one's interesting in how it was imported, and needed an NHTSA exemption... per the site:

"To any potential buyer of this car, please take note that the vehicle is in the United States under an approved “show or display” exemption. Transfer of ownership must be approved by NHTSA before the title changes hands. The buyer must also apply for a new “show or display” approval from NHTSA and provide current photos of the car. Potential buyers should be aware that the vehicle is limited to 2,500 miles per year and must be made available for inspection by NHTSA until it is not less than 25 years old."

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"To any potential buyer of this car, please take note that the vehicle is in the United States under an approved “show or display” exemption. Transfer of ownership must be approved by NHTSA before the title changes hands. The buyer must also apply for a new “show or display” approval from NHTSA and provide current photos of the car. Potential buyers should be aware that the vehicle is limited to 2,500 miles per year and must be made available for inspection by NHTSA until it is not less than 25 years old."
I don't think too many cars like this do NOT fall under this easily.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow... who buys that car, at that time, and puts under 500 miles on it? Crazy.
I bought a Ford Torino for $700.00 when I was just out of college that had less than 1000 miles on it. The old guy literally drove it to get groceries and church less than two miles from his house. Maybe he drove it occasionally to visit kids and grandkids in same small town.

The key difference with him was that he was not a great driver so he had more than one dent in the car, but I got it for cheap and drove it for a bit. Didn't hurt that his son was good friends with my dad.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a Ford Torino for $700.00 when I was just out of college that had less than 1000 miles on it.

What year? As a teenage driver, I grew up with a used 72 Gran Torino in the family. I believe 72 was THE worst year for American V8s. The new EPA smog regulations were in place, but engineers had not yet figured out how to meet them in any way other than completely strangling the power.

That 302 V8 was really doggy, which was probably a good thing for a new, male, teenage driver! :ogbiggrin:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think too many cars like this do NOT fall under this easily.
What do you mean by "like this"? 1000+ HP imports?

Sure, I guess. But I've never seen that kind of notice on other auctions. The Bugatti referenced earlier, for instance, seems to have come from a Connecticut dealer with a regular window sticker and everything. I'd assume there's no NHTSA restriction on mileage there?

EDIT: Now that I think about it more, did you just mean that cars like this aren't likely to be driven more than 2,500 miles a year anyway?

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What year? As a teenage driver, I grew up with a used 72 Gran Torino in the family. I believe 72 was THE worst year for American V8s. The new EPA smog regulations were in place, but engineers had not yet figured out how to meet them in any way other than completely strangling the power.

That 302 V8 was really doggy, which was probably a good thing for a new, male, teenage driver! :ogbiggrin:
Honestly I can't remember for sure but 72 sounds right. I bought it in 1985 and it was 12-13 years old. I remember buying it for $700 from Ed Powell (Son of the original owner). The V8 used oil like crazy. I joked that I got 8 mpg with the gas and oil. I didn't keep it long because I wanted something more fuel efficient.
As I said, the exterior had a few dents but the interior was spotless. The back seat had never had anyone in it. The trunk was massive.

James

Out There
Instructor
If a car is not approved for sale in the US, and under 25yrs old, it can be seized and crushed. This happened to grey market Land Rovers for awhile in the early 2000’s. If it sits on your property, and you somehow managed to get it in the country, then it’s likely not to be noticed. But insuring it is another matter. Once it’s found out it’s not approved for sale in the US, I think you’re on your own.

Sponsor