• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly I can't remember for sure but 72 sounds right. The V8 used oil like crazy. I joked that I got 8 mpg with the gas and oil.

Those older 302 Windsors were famous for oil consumption. Used to joke that a valve job was needed every other oil change.

Back to the jist of the thread and the Bugatti Chiron, here is a video of one hitting 253 mph on a (closed) public road in Ketchum:

EDIT: And apparently over 300 on VW Group's test track:

Straight line speed isn't really my thing, but a friend who attends this every year says it's amazing in person.

July 21-23 this summer......

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another auction is going on that has a bid in the top 10 highest of all time on BaT :

The oldest bid in the Top 20 all-time on BaT is from June 2021, with $1,575,000 for a Veyron, and it's number 20. The top 19 have all been within the last year, most within the last few months.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
There's some pretty impressive options on that 918. But $84k for the Weissach package? That's more than I've ever spent on a whole car, by a long shot.
And the silver paint option was $63k? Guess there's a big difference between a base p-car and a fully optioned one.

James

Out There
Instructor
There's some pretty impressive options on that 918. But $84k for the Weissach package? That's more than I've ever spent on a whole car, by a long shot.
And the silver paint option was $63k? Guess there's a big difference between a base p-car and a fully optioned one.
You’ve got to get to over a $million sticker price somehow.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Speaking of Porsches, and I'm not sure if i'm doing this right b/c this one already sold, but I was looking up 911 prices on BaT yesterday (yeah, i'm a masochist) and this one came up, and I can't get over how gorgeous it was -- all the details are just stunning. I know the wing-less Touring versions of these are the connoisseur's choice, but I feel like the wing just works on this one. In any event, it's well outta my snack bracket and off the market, but it is definitely occupying a place in my Dream Garage!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It’s definitely a cool car, but $1.15 million?? Things are a little crazy.
Absolutely worth it, it is the first iconic Japanese sports car. Plus it wasn't like a Z car which was an every man's sport car that they produced as many as they could and still are producing them, it was a single production run model of 351 examples.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Absolutely worth it, it is the first iconic Japanese sports car. Plus it wasn't like a Z car which was an every man's sport car that they produced as many as they could and still are producing them, it was a single production run model of 351 examples.
Yeah and the first basically Toyota supercar. One of the largest mfgs on the planet. That's worth something to someone.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
A Shelby C Production racing version sold for $2.53 million.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
On the subject of rare Japanese sports cars: last summer I'm stopped at a stoplight in my '93 MR2 t-roof turbo (less than 1,000 were brought into Canada) and buddy pulls up beside me, all excited, and declares "Your MR2 will be worth $100 Grand in 10 years". Later I thought, I should have offered to sell it to him for $50 Grand, right on the spot. :ogbiggrin:

Well, at least my MR2 is now worth more than I paid for it, 22 years ago.

James

Out There
Instructor
Was that the Synchro system, or was that just VW? The Synchro had an air switch knob you pulled out that changed the awd system. Lock rear, 50/50 frnt/rear, and I forget the third position, lock front?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

@GregK to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone
That one looks in pretty good shape and low mileage. Only saw this one listed in all of Ontario on Kijiji and none listed that old on Autotrader.

Don’t love detailing older cars as trim, door/headliner etc fabrics can all be so fragile due to age. Engines aren’t as sealed from water so cleaning them takes longer and with more risks than a modern car. Everything takes longer on old cars!

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier

@GregK to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone
I had that exact car. right down to the color. Made an Audi fanboy out of me. Of all the Audis I've owned, it was by far the best in the snow - most likely because it had the least power, by a long shot.
Sold it with nearly 200,000 miles on it.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Back to the Audi 4000.

I had a bright red 4000CS. Car was ordered by our dealer friend for his daughter…with EVERY option available. She lived in downtown Boston, and hated the 5 speed. So….my win. Really loved that car. I sold it when I got my pick of company cars a few years later. Bright red BMW 325ix. I missed the 4000CS.

My wife had a Syncro wagon. Great car in the snow and crappy weather. I really loved the trans/differential lockout button. So simple. The car was great for our every weekend drives to the ski house with one toddler and one dog. When baby #2 arrived, along with big pup #2, my wife wanted something bigger. Probably a mistake, but I didn’t need or couldn’t keep it. Great car.

Next was Volvo 740 GLE wagon, 5 speed, graphite and red leather. Four studded snows on steelies. Very good in snow. One of the very best cars we have ever owned…..and we have owned “quite a few.” We we stupid to sell at about 125K miles. Smart call to not get the Turbo.

My 325ix was replaced with THE best car that I ever owned, and regret selling all the time. 1995.5 Audi S6 Avant. I have owned two more since. Same year.

That 4000S is a very classic car. Gets me nostalgic. Design is kind of timeless, IMO.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Next was Volvo 740 GLE wagon, 5 speed, graphite and red leather. Four studded snows on steelies. Very good in snow. One of the very best cars we have ever owned…..and we have owned “quite a few.” We we stupid to sell at about 125K miles. Smart call to not get the Turbo.
Love those cars. Interesting - I always lusted after a Turbo. They were that problematic, huh? I suppose it's safest then to hold out for an LS-swap conversion ;)

Sponsor

Staff online