• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
There’s a builder in my city with an crazy collection of mostly Ferrari cars(always has a dozen plus) although he’s added a few Mclaren(and I think Lamborghini) to the mix as well. Remember when he came to a show with his first McLaren and friends were teasing him he “went to the dark side” for getting a not getting another Ferrari. Haha

These pictures were at the older Cars and Coffee held at the edge of town beside a 80km/hr(50 mph) highway. Lots of full throttle leaving after the show and remember him taking friends out for very high speed fly bys past the shows in his F40 and F50. Both Sound INSANE!

F50

EFDDEB03-4E86-4AF2-970C-10AB3D8D2784.jpeg
F4E2743A-1D68-4EDC-89FC-E99315D2FDFB.jpeg
655DA12E-34BF-4683-A6DD-C431B5CCA549.jpeg
495D49ED-68A8-436C-AD93-41F360D96C7B.jpeg

F40

B567A9F9-C20D-4C8D-9A3C-2A2F6C0D1BBC.jpeg
F6B6D11F-4203-46EB-AF2F-1AF03385B390.jpeg
0ACC8470-65D6-4762-80F9-95B5D77C9BD6.jpeg
A563A428-ED30-4688-B270-854E8FEAFC41.jpeg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe... but the current record holder is an Aperta version, with the removeable top and some other upgrades, compared to the one currently up for auction. It'll be interesting to watch!

A description from a Ferrari dealer about the Aperta version vs. the "regular" LaFerrari:

What Does “Aperta” Mean?

It’s in the name, and it’s clear just by looking at them that the LaFerrari Aperta offers an open-air experience, but why is it called the LaFerrari Aperta? “Aperta” means “open” in Italian.Now that it’s clear just how much automotive DNA these two vehicles share, it’s time to lay out the differences that come with a LaFerrari Aperta. Unveiled at the 2016 Paris Auto Show, the “Aperta” label designates a removable roof for this limited-run LaFerrari. There’s more separating the LaFerrari and LaFerrari Aperta than the removable carbon fibre (or canvas) top, including:
  • Upgraded powertrain control electronics
  • Longer front air dam for improved downforce
  • Re-angled radiators to direct airflow out along the underbody
  • Different door opening angles and wheel arches
Drivers seeking an incredibly rare modern Ferrari should set their sights on the LaFerrari Aperta: only 210 models were produced. 200 were sold, nine were reserved for the Ferrari 70th Anniversary celebration, and a single model was later sold at auction.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s a builder in my city with an crazy collection of mostly Ferrari cars(always has a dozen plus) although he’s added a few Mclaren(and I think Lamborghini) to the mix as well. Remember when he came to a show with his first McLaren and friends were teasing him he “went to the dark side” for getting a not getting another Ferrari. Haha

These pictures were at the older Cars and Coffee held at the edge of town beside a 80km/hr(50 mph) highway. Lots of full throttle leaving after the show and remember him taking friends out for very high speed fly bys past the shows in his F40 and F50. Both Sound INSANE!
Did he prefer the F-40 or 50?
Interesting ski wagon with integrated racking platform

Doubles as a greenhouse. Skis go on top.

94680973-C59B-457D-89C0-1B9BEB2ACF83.jpeg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did he prefer the F-40 or 50?
Think he preferred the F50 as it’s much more civilized for actually driving on a city street. The F40 is like being a race race with no creature comfort’s whatsoever. Think the v12 in the F50 sounds better too although they both sound crazy. Has a 288 GTO too that he stores at me of his rental properties near my house. Can hear it coming from blocks away!

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Think he preferred the F50 as it’s much more civilized for actually driving on a city street. The F40 is like being a race race with no creature comfort’s whatsoever. Think the v12 in the F50 sounds better too although they both sound crazy. Has a 288 GTO too that he stores at me of his rental properties near my house. Can hear it coming from blocks away!

Really, this is a sensible 3-car garage:

F40 = practical coupe
F50 = fun, rev-happy convertible for the nice days
288 = low-key city car (most people will just assume it's a 308)

:ogbiggrin:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
To give you an idea of this collector, he only had one somewhat modern front engine Ferrari, the FF and liked his mid engine ones better.
Got a text from a friend one day about seeing a Ferrari on fire in a parking lot and if I knew who’s it was. Knew it was this guy’s and he was teased about it at the next car show. Just shrugged his shoulders and said “I never really liked that one anyway”…..:doh:

The other thing about the F40 especially in terms of detailing is that the paint was thin and very inconsistent on different parts of the car with no clear coat(single stage paint). The carbon fibre weaves very visible under the paint. So you have to be VERY slow and patient detailing a car like that and have paint thickness gauges so you know when to quit chasing some deep scratches. Most details you will see on them will be in the 40-100 hour range so mistakes aren’t made.
I’ve never done one and I’m kinda okay with that.

James

Out There
Instructor
Most details you will see on them will be in the 40-100 hour range so mistakes aren’t made.
Wow, thatsa alotta time.
Maybe leave a post it note on it like Nico Rossberg did-

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Clear coat is just extra weight. ;)
You joke but it was an actual decision made by Ferrari to not try and “level” the weaved surface with primer or body filler as that would be extra “unnecessary” weight. Thought I remember hearing they used as little as 2 litres of paint on the whole car to keep weight down. :geek:

That’s why I was cringing watching the @James video as I was wondering if he was going to scrape over that garage bump.
Because of the visible weave under the factory paint, it’s easy to spot any sections getting repainted. Would be a nightmare trying to match the factory texture and paint finish on a damaged section.

Paint tidbit-Aftermarket paint is usually thicker than factory applied paint(especially if filler is used), so car appraisers or during lease returns they could use a paint thickness gauge and test multi spots on each panel of the car. Any big increase in depth is a clear sign that area was repainted.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You joke but it was an actual decision made by Ferrari to not try and “level” the weaved surface with primer or body filler as that would be extra “unnecessary” weight. Thought I remember hearing they used as little as 2 litres of paint on the whole car to keep weight down. :geek:

It was tongue in cheek but totally accurate.

James

Out There
Instructor
Paint tidbit-Aftermarket paint is usually thicker than factory applied paint(especially if filler is used), so car appraisers or during lease returns they could use a paint thickness gauge and test multi spots on each panel of the car. Any big increase in depth is a clear sign that area was repainted.
How precise are the thickness gages?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
How precise are the thickness gages?
Usually pretty accurate and much less expensive options the last few years that are decent. Used to be $600-$1000 plus for something respectable and now lots of EBay/Amazon options a fraction of that price that do a great job.

You’d be able to do a quick scan of a panel to get an average for that panel(might vary slightly) and any repaired section will be very noticeably thicker and easy to spot.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here’s a video with a very basic gauge with a body shop tech going over a car they just repainted and used filler in a few spots. One aftermarket panel must have been bought Pre-painted and it’s 1/2 the thickness of factory vs the body shop paint which is much thicker than factory.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This one looks like a steal right now! We should all bid! :P

1660051056915.png

Sponsor

Staff online