• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
5 days left on the F40 and currently at $1.6M, the 28th highest bid ever on BaT.
Bidding ended with no sale at $2,475,026 on the 4th. The 8th highest bid ever on BaT.

That Bugatti mentioned above will bump it down to 9th. The last Chiron Pur Sport is currently the second highest bid (and didn't sell) at $4.4M.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’ve seen a few. I’ll try to take a photo if I see one again.
I need to see one myself. I also have yet to see a rattle snake around Reno, therefore they do NOT exist here either . For transparency, I have seen one in Carson City, so I do know they are down there.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I also have yet to see a rattle snake around Reno
Weren't you with me when we saw the rattler on Peavine? Or was that Jeff?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Growing up, one of my neighbors was into collecting brass era cars. Nice weekends he would take the neighborhood kids for rides. One of them was a Mercer race car, I heard rumors it was a "death car", i.e. one that a driver was killed in. This was early to mid 60's, so a 1913 Mercer was only about 50 years old at that point...age wise that would be like having a 72 Mach 1 Mustang today. Makes you realize how quickly car technology progressed in the early 20th century compared to now.

James

Out There
Instructor
Growing up, one of my neighbors was into collecting brass era cars. Nice weekends he would take the neighborhood kids for rides. One of them was a Mercer race car, I heard rumors it was a "death car", i.e. one that a driver was killed in. This was early to mid 60's, so a 1913 Mercer was only about 50 years old at that point...age wise that would be like having a 72 Mach 1 Mustang today. Makes you realize how quickly car technology progressed in the early 20th century compared to now.
It’s interesting on those early cars how high they were. Enormous ground clearance and wheels. Relating more to horse drawn carriages.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It’s interesting on those early cars how high they were. Enormous ground clearance and wheels. Relating more to horse drawn carriages.

Same problems (massively unpaved roads, bias ply tires with oval contact patch, low available power, suspension that requires big elaborate leaf springs front and back), same tools.

Making the wheels bigger -> better steering response because the contact patch is longer, less deflection on any given rock hit (suspension can have less travel), easier forward roll.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I still have yet to see a Bugatti in real life. I am still uncertain they actually exist.

SV/Ketchum annual speed run always sees a few.......i've never been but a friend there says it's amazing.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
For good reason,,,LOL
1668308074701.png

James

Out There
Instructor
^Crossing ploughed fields is just one of the reasons the 2CV was absolutely amazing ...

Very interesting! Surprising no one took that up for other cars. I got a ride in one once but it was in nyc.

No one drives across plowed fields except farmers in tractors, and armies. They want them frozen.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Very interesting! Surprising no one took that up for other cars.

I know of a couple of Russian attempts - the center of the country was basically a mud bath in spring/early summer - but none of them went to a known consumer model.

I got a ride in one once but it was in nyc.

On crown-cobbled streets, especially ones built before cars, they were amazing. But you had to get used to momentum cornering swaaawaaay :geek:

Sponsor

Staff online