• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Love those cars. Interesting - I always lusted after a Turbo. They were that problematic, huh? I suppose it's safest then to hold out for an LS-swap conversion ;)
It was a great car. Tremendous build quality, and amazingly comfortable. I have never heard of any problems with the 740 Turbo. We later owned both 850 and V70R turbo wagons. However, the 740 was my wife’s car and we had a hunch that the normally aspirated model would be “just fine” and might be more predictable in crappy weather, snow, ice, slush.

i think we’ve owned 65 plus cars. We should have owned that one a lot longer. The couple in town who we sold it to still own it. Looks pretty darn good. Considering it’s 30+ years old.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Love those cars. Interesting - I always lusted after a Turbo. They were that problematic, huh? I suppose it's safest then to hold out for an LS-swap conversion ;)
Volvos of that era were probably some of the most reliable turbo cars you could buy but turbo anything was a gamble and you were pretty much guaranteed extra maintenance and repairs.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had an 88 744T, charcoal with a red interior. It was a tank of a car.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
My 325ix was replaced with THE best car that I ever owned, and regret selling all the time. 1995.5 Audi S6 Avant. I have owned two more since. Same year.

That 4000S is a very classic car. Gets me nostalgic. Design is kind of timeless, IMO.
Agree on the 95.5 S6 Avant. I also had two - one Brilliant Black and the other Europa Blue. Had Stromung exhausts on both, and the black one had a bunch of RS2 engine and driveline parts on it.
Sold both (bad call) for more than I paid for each (partial make-up for bad call).

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
It was a great car. Tremendous build quality, and amazingly comfortable. I have never heard of any problems with the 740 Turbo. We later owned both 850 and V70R turbo wagons. However, the 740 was my wife’s car and we had a hunch that the normally aspirated model would be “just fine” and might be more predictable in crappy weather, snow, ice, slush.

i think we’ve owned 65 plus cars. We should have owned that one a lot longer. The couple in town who we sold it to still own it. Looks pretty darn good. Considering it’s 30+ years old.

Ahh, gotcha. Makes sense! My college roommate inherited his family's old 740 GLE sedan - by then I think it was about 15 years old. That thing was awesome. Not a lot of power, but such a nice car. Those seats!!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Muleski

Inactive
The RS2 is one that has just stopped me in my tracks. That is really special. IMO, the bidding is reasonable. $70.5K, half hour to go.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Ferrari F40 sold! For $2,440,444, the bid placed at the last minute.
With only a $5k buyers fee, if it was Barrett/Jackson or Mechem, is would be about 7% ... along with a much higher sellers fee than the $100 ( or $349 plus) that BaT chargers.

Muleski

Inactive
BAT should put Barrett/Jackson out of business. Or they should merge. BAT has a much stronger model.

On other news the Audi RS2 sold for $103K. Think that’s a record. Absolutely exceptional car.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just noticed there's another Ferrari F40 up on BaT:

The last one that showed up was a 1990, and bid to $1,960,000 but didn't sell. This one is at $1,875,000 with a day to go... I wonder if it will sell?
Interesting to compare the F40 to the Porsche 959, both supercars of that era. The Porsche pioneered doing more for the driver with high tech, the F40 does nothing.
The Porsche with it’s awd was setup for the Paris-Dakar race. Impressive. The F40 might be the favorite of all for race car drivers who get to drive one.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BAT should put Barrett/Jackson out of business. Or they should merge. BAT has a much stronger model.

On other news the Audi RS2 sold for $103K. Think that’s a record. Absolutely exceptional car.
BaT recently sold to I believe Car & Driver. I am not sure why they would sell, it is just a licence to print money. I don't think the figure was disclosed. I am not sure why they have not also started a basic classified section for the cars that might not be auction worthy or if they don't meet reserve.

Muleski

Inactive
BaT recently sold to I believe Car & Driver. I am not sure why they would sell, it is just a licence to print money. I don't think the figure was disclosed. I am not sure why they have not also started a basic classified section for the cars that might not be auction worthy or if they don't meet reserve.

Thanks, PP. I normally think I’m on top of things, but guess not! TWO YEARS AGO, the owners sold to Hearst Auto Publications….the group that owns C&D.

I hope that the founders/owners absolutely killed it, as the platform does just print money. Agree 100% on your thoughts about options to expand it.

I really struggle to see why anybody would list with one of the traditional auction houses. I can’t imagine that they can deliver more money at the gavel….and the fees are SO much higher.

From a buyers perspective, if the car is unique to some degree and has a handful or more of really knowledgable experts weighing in, you can get enormous insight. Huge.

I have been a fan since it launched. I have yet to buy, or sell. I think I will with our next car. My brother has had four transactions…..and was VERY interested in todays RS2 Avant. He almost pulled the trigger. Not a fan of red in that car.

I think that the cars on BAT end up finding a realistic market price if there is any action at all.

Feel like an idiot to know nothing about the sale!

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
That RS2 was awesome, although I thought it would go for $70-80k. My recollection is someone in Aspen had two of them, one of which was silver, and we were always trying to figure out how he got them licensed and registered in the states since it was before the 25 year period had elapsed.
I've watched BaT grow from infancy, with one of those "why didn't I think of that business model" looks on my face.
From a seller's perspective, I think BaT is very schizophrenic about pricing when it comes to different brands. Porsche and Ferrari always seem to command over market prices but my favorite brand, Audi, can be all over the board. I've seen one RS4 (nearly identical to one of mine) pull $75k and others, of apparently equal quality and similar mileage, go for $28-42k. There have been a fair number of R8s, which have done reasonably well, but very very few B8 or B9 S4s, and I think I have yet to see an A3, S3 or RS3. Maybe one or two A4s. TTs are few and far between. And, yet, my sense is there is not a used Porsche for sale in the US that has not graced BaT's auctions. I've been lusting after a GT3 for years but I blame BaT for driving prices into the stratosphere.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of my ski team friends at Colby had a 740 Turbo, it was used for frequent trips to Sugarloaf in all weather. The studded snow tires also helped in those lovely backroads of Maine. He takes good care of cars, but it was dead reliable all 3 years I was his co-pilot. It was the car that had me seriously considering an 850 for my 1st car after college. Alas, the Volvo dealer in Wellesley was full of jackwagons and didn't take me as a serious buyer...so I opted for a BMW 328i.

Sponsor