• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
As NOT seen on BaT
152298829_250624873178787_3716321138586330048_n.jpg

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
On Barn Finds...for those deep snow powder days...

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A nice 1991 Honda Civic RT4WD 6-speed Wagon just appeared on BAT:

I remember these. They were unsung heroes in the Wasatch: a bit more rare than the standard Subaru, reliable, fun, and rusted if you didn't wash them religiously.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not like you'd be racing in this thing. It would get you up to the mountain without issue and the traction was good. It also is frugal in terms of petrol consumption which is no small feat.

Granted, given its age I'm sure about 20 horses have bolted from the paddock...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's not like you'd be racing in this thing. It would get you up to the mountain without issue and the traction was good. It also is frugal in terms of petrol consumption which is no small feat.

And both the injection and ignition systems would self adjust for high-altitude low-octane gasoline - super bonus for the era. I won't even go into how many problems I had with my (non-turbo) Pontiac at altitude.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Unicorn
Wow... how do you buy that truck, in New Hampshire, and only put 1k miles on it? Is it possible it was bought just to be a collector car? Did Land Cruiser's have tha kind of rep in the 90's?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wow... how do you buy that truck, in New Hampshire, and only put 1k miles on it? Is it possible it was bought just to be a collector car? Did Land Cruiser's have tha kind of rep in the 90's?
Yes it was bought as an investment. That generation was somewhat revolutionary.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Did Land Cruiser's have tha kind of rep in the 90's?

That's when they really ramped up in desirability.

Obviously there was the Dakar win but even before that families that totally did NOT want to be seen in a Blazer were buying Land Cruisers as slightly-anemic-but-premium-quality-family-tanks.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Looks like a $136K sale. Wow.
At $136K, that is too much money for it to become a daily driver....a almost 30 y.o. SUV is a collector car. :huh:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
At $136K, that is too much money for it to become a daily driver....a almost 30 y.o. SUV is a collector car. :huh:
Making it a daily driver would perhaps defeat the point of buying a car with only 1k on the odometer. I'd think most buyer's would be looking to hold it as part of their collection, or hold it for a while and hopefully turn it for a profit.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It can’t begin to guess how it will be used, and frankly, where it will end up. I have a guess or two….within the USA. Then I have other guesses abroad.

Phil and I both made reference to Nantucket. There are locales all over the country, like Nantucket, where extremely well to do families “summer”, with no apparent budget. I have a business acquaintance who flies to Nantucket by private jet every weekend late May through early October.

He has quite a compound. The pilots even have a guest cottage. And…he loves his toys. And if his toys are more rare, more “old” and harder to acquire than yours…win. Have a friend with a family compound on the coast of Maine. Same.

My Maine friend most often drives around in an early 1940’s Ford woody. Or, a 1958 MB 300SL. Both worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

On Nantucket, my friend has the three very cool Island cars. A fully restored 1990ish Red LR Defender 90, a completely “new” old Jeep Wagoneer….restored to brand new specs, and a Model A woody. Perfect. He drives them ALL over that island. In the sand and salt air.

Does this make ANY sense? Nope. Any fiscal sense? No way. They think it’s fun, their kids and grandkids do, too. So…why not? BTW, the car budget is a small fraction of the boat/yacht program!

if you’re worth a few Billion bucks….why be rational? Hell maybe you had a FJ80 30 years ago at your ski house in Aspen? And you miss it! Here’s a chance to buy a new one.

Maybe a specialty dealer ends up with it, and sells for even more money. Maybe it goes to the Middle East. Maybe a huge Toyota dealer ends up with it in his showroom?

The likely final buyer, IMO, has no idea what BaT is. Just a hunch.

On this thought, a friend of mine bought a new Defender 90, yellow, and proceeded to beat the daylights out of it for 100K plus miles. 15 years? He was approached to see if he wanted to sell it. Hadn’t really planned to, but he did….for something like $50K. It was all original.

They buyer is in the business. He totally restores them. Rebuilds them. Frame on up. Sources or fabricates anything not perfect. When they leave his hands….almost priceless. He sold this one as he was just starting, to be delivered when complete. As I recall, the buyer just wanted it. And he could care less about the price. $150K, $200K….who knows, and who cares?

This guy wants to be “that guy” wherever he summers. It would be more cool if he had it since new….but no worries, he’ll tell everybody that he has! Buying that look.

This one could end up ANYWHERE. You think an extra $100K matters to somebody in Dubai who wants it?

Cool auction. The auction specs were terribly written. Didn’t matter. I was guessing $100K.

Sponsor

Staff online