• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

James

Out There
Instructor
This is interesting. True barn find, Shelby GT500. Stored since 1980. Not original block, air filter cover, had some minir body damage repaired.
Fan shroud - $2k to replace
Trunk matt - in barn condition, worth $4k.
Guy offers widow $65k, which is $5k over wholesale appraised value, $5k under retail value.
DB4BF5AB-53AF-4992-8BEC-F1E2058CF4E7.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Why did the rear end sit lower than the front for the “race suspension”? GT500

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why did the rear end sit lower than the front for the “race suspension”? GT500
To make you feel like you're accelerating all the time? :P

My totally uninformed, random actual guess would be to limit suspension travel for a non-independent rear suspension and keep the back end better planted since it's lighter. I don't know if that actually makes sense, but it might. :)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

My totally uninformed, random actual guess would be to limit suspension travel for a non-independent rear suspension and keep the back end better planted since it's lighter. I don't know if that actually makes sense, but it might. :)
Wasn’t this covered in My Cousin Vinny?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

Well that picture is a car with no motor in it. However, they did sit lower in the back, depending. Sometimes it was because the rear suspension was failing..they were leaf spring cars. Bushings in the shackle wore. Leaf springs sometimes sagged. But generally, lower in the back meant more weight on the back..primitive weight balancing. Better acceleration and cornering, since they were already very front-heavy. Which is why, if you have an old pony car, you probably want a small block version if you actually value handling..

The 426 Hemi engine was called the Elephant engine..it weighed like 750lbs, engine only.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well the expert guy in the GT 500 barn find video says they came that way. The woman who owned it with her husband couldn’t see the road in front because of that angle. So they “fixed” it. Which reduces value.

I couldn’t find a quick answer. Only that the 1965 GT 350 was really the only race worthy Shelby Mustang they made. And a bit of a brute on the street. After that, to sell, they added more and more.

I’ll take this ‘67 vette-
70E12AD3-A225-4CDE-931A-107BBFC1B3E5.jpeg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well the expert guy in the GT 500 barn find video says they came that way. The woman who owned it with her husband couldn’t see the road in front because of that angle. So they “fixed” it. Which reduces value.
Yeah, what you really want to do to fix it is move the motor and tranny back about a foot or 2. Then you can drop the front back to normal. They were..primitive.. Like leaf spring suspension with a snubber to basically bottom the suspension in corners or when launching. At that point it's a go-kart. Plus in those days front-high was a thing. Like, fashion thing. People saw all the Factory Experimental cars at the drag strip and they had it for drag launches. And people liked to emulate that. Not smart really for normal driving..but wouldn't be the first or last time car companies did stuff because people thought it looked cool.

Here's a 63 factory drag Dodge Ramcharger. That's not a great cornering stance! :) But a very popular car.

1632259252342.png

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus in those days front-high was a thing. Like, fashion thing. People saw all the Factory Experimental cars at the drag strip and they had it for drag launches. And people liked to emulate that. Not smart really for normal driving..but wouldn't be the first or last time car companies did stuff because people thought it looked cool.
Ding, ding, ding! Winner! I had friends who messed (and I mean messed) with their suspensions simply in order to achieve that front-high, accelerating look. It was a thing, just like the nose-down, ass-up, cat-in-heat look of cars in the 1990's.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, 100 percent stupid. Like huge rims and really low profile tires on suv’s.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January