• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Broke my bindings, can't replace, need new skis & bindings ASAP

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Yesterday I fell on my side while trying some new exercises (one foot skiing, skiing backwards) and the marker VIVA binding on my Blizzard Viva TI IQ 810 snapped- part of the binding broke off and slid down the hill, along with one of my skis. I found the ski, but was told by the employees at the shop at Roundtop that Blizzard likely does not make that binding anymore, as it was specific to that ski from 2010 (? Not certain about the year, but it is pretty old now..) Anyway, they said that the skis are essentially out of commission, because it will be difficult to impossible to get new bindings on them, since they only accept that binding made specifically to fit within the rail construction of the ski. So my question is: Does anyone know if this is true about the bindings? I can't find any info about it on the Marker site. And if so, which ski would you recommend as my next ski?

I have a pretty tight budget. The Nordica Enforcers, probably in 95 width, sound like my dream ski, but are way out of my price range. I am trying to keep the entire purchase below $500, with skis and bindings included. This is an unexpected purchase, and early ski season is a terrible time to buy, but I don't have much choice because I have several ski trips coming up soon and know I will spend more money in the long run if I rent all season. I like to ski fast, do moguls, go off-piste when possible, but realistically spend most of my time skiing fast on hard packed groomers in the East Coast.

Goals for my next ski:

something a bit longer (I tried demoing Blizzard Brahmas in 170-something and loved the added length and sense of stability at high speed. My Blizzard Viva's were 160. I am 5'6" and 140 lb.
maybe something a little wider than my Blizzard Viva 81's- I own powder skis (Fatypus Emotion) so I don't need to go super wide, but maybe something in the high 80s to mid 90s to deal with crud or 6-10" of fresh snow over hardpack.

I have found some good ski + binding package deals on:

Rossignol Experience 88 ti W
Head Monster 88 X
Volkl Mantra M5
Volkl Secret 102
Blizzard Black Pearl 82
Blizzard Black Pearl 88
Nordica Santa Ana 88

Any thoughts? Would the Volkl Secrets be too wide and stiff to be fun on moguls or in glades?

I demoed the Rossignol Experience at JH and liked it a lot, but I don't remember which width or length. Probably at least 165, because I told the demo guy that I wanted to try longer skis. I am leaning towards Rossignol Experience 88 or Nordica Santa Ana 88.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thank you!

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
adding my GF's favorit ranger 102 FR to your list to add to confusion ;)
I've seen people rave about the Fischer Ranger 102 FR. Does she ski the men's or women's model? Is there much difference between them? How does it handle hardpack/icy conditions on groomers at that width?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
she has a 176cm "myranger" so would be womens I guess. She loves it on ice & hardpack. Have another female friend on them as well (but pink... male? unisex? version) 177

Ratbastrd

Booting up
Skier
Yesterday I fell on my side while trying some new exercises (one foot skiing, skiing backwards) and the marker VIVA binding on my Blizzard Viva TI IQ 810 snapped- part of the binding broke off and slid down the hill, along with one of my skis. I found the ski, but was told by the employees at the shop at Roundtop that Blizzard likely does not make that binding anymore, as it was specific to that ski from 2010 (? Not certain about the year, but it is pretty old now..) Anyway, they said that the skis are essentially out of commission, because it will be difficult to impossible to get new bindings on them, since they only accept that binding made specifically to fit within the rail construction of the ski. So my question is: Does anyone know if this is true about the bindings? I can't find any info about it on the Marker site. And if so, which ski would you recommend as my next ski?

I have a pretty tight budget. The Nordica Enforcers, probably in 95 width, sound like my dream ski, but are way out of my price range. I am trying to keep the entire purchase below $500, with skis and bindings included. This is an unexpected purchase, and early ski season is a terrible time to buy, but I don't have much choice because I have several ski trips coming up soon and know I will spend more money in the long run if I rent all season. I like to ski fast, do moguls, go off-piste when possible, but realistically spend most of my time skiing fast on hard packed groomers in the East Coast.

Goals for my next ski:

something a bit longer (I tried demoing Blizzard Brahmas in 170-something and loved the added length and sense of stability at high speed. My Blizzard Viva's were 160. I am 5'6" and 140 lb.
maybe something a little wider than my Blizzard Viva 81's- I own powder skis (Fatypus Emotion) so I don't need to go super wide, but maybe something in the high 80s to mid 90s to deal with crud or 6-10" of fresh snow over hardpack.

Head Monster 88 X
Volkl Mantra M5
Volkl Secret 102
Blizzard Black Pearl 82
Blizzard Black Pearl 88
Nordica Santa Ana 88

Any thoughts? Would the Volkl Secrets be too wide and stiff to be fun on moguls or in glades?

I demoed the Rossignol Experience at JH and liked it a lot, but I don't remember which width or length. Probably at least 165, because I told the demo guy that I wanted to try longer skis. I am leaning towards Rossignol Experience 88 or Nordica Santa Ana 88.

I just bought my wife the Santa Ana 88's. Of all the ski's on your list, I think they are the best all arounder, with a nice intuitive ride in most conditions. She felt the Volkl & Blizzards were too stiff and heavy, didn't like the Head (no reason stated) and didn't ride the Rossi's.

Wife is an advanced intermediate skier. Likes the groomers and skis at speed.

Hope this helps.

Ratbastrd

Booting up
Skier
I've seen people rave about the Fischer Ranger 102 FR. Does she ski the men's or women's model? Is there much difference between them? How does it handle hardpack/icy conditions on groomers at that width?
Far too wide for typical east coast conditions IMO. JMO, but you don't need that much width unless you are skiing offpiste in soft snow regularly. 88-94 underfoot is ideal

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 102FR is great, but if you already have a powder ski and you're in the east, I wouldn't go any wider than 88. Actually, you should rent something in the mid 70s to see how you like it.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just took a quick look on Corbetts/Asogear site for deals in this range. Keep in mind these are Canadian prices so you get a deal on exchange and shipping is free in North America.

Volkl Kenja 88-same as Kendo 88

9A3FED40-08E8-4018-ABA6-B5B0426E9CCD.png
A6A3451B-E481-4595-B361-7FF2E3410C01.png

Bindings that would work on either ski and available in black or red in the 85mm brake.
912AF892-81E7-48E0-BC8B-8111FB4E456C.png
Mindbender 88Ti Alliance-Women’s specific ski that’s a bit lighter, softer and more playful than the Kenja but still solid and powerful.

12B701A4-E257-41A7-A5D6-524F255014C1.png
Another option that includes bindings and it similar to your old skis but with a more updated design. Should be more of a carver than the other two but maybe not as fun in bumps or off piste.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Wife loves the Volkl Secret 96 in 163cm that I bought her three weeks ago. She claims that Volkl gave her back that Aura feel she has been missing. Have seen some of the top Killington women loving the Secret 102.The Secrets are too much ski to be fun unless you can drive them. You are correct that Rossignol Experience 88 or Nordica Santa Ana 88 would be a smarter choice.

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Wife loves the Volkl Secret 96 in 163cm that I bought her three weeks ago. She claims that Volkl gave her back that Aura feel she has been missing. Have seen some of the top Killington women loving the Secret 102.The Secrets are too much ski to be fun unless you can drive them. You are correct that Rossignol Experience 88 or Nordica Santa Ana 88 would be a smarter choice.
I found Nordica 88's w/ bindings for $598 and Rossignol Experience 88 W w/bindings for $349. Do you think the Nordicas are significantly better? Why the big price difference?

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Far too wide for typical east coast conditions IMO. JMO, but you don't need that much width unless you are skiing offpiste in soft snow regularly. 88-94 underfoot is ideal
Agree too, but for some reason, I appear to be one of a few.

That said, I'm a Rossi girl, yet own the SA88. I've only had it out once, as we didn't get much new snow last year and I stuck to my ice skis for grip. I also had the first Temptation 88, so if the newer Experience is a little softer, that would be a good ski.

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
I found Nordica 88's w/ bindings for $598 and Rossignol Experience 88 W w/bindings for $349. Do you think the Nordicas are significantly better? Why the big price difference?
Never mind- the Rossingols just sold out at that price!! I guess that is my answer :(

James

Out There
Instructor
Not sure why you want over 88 for Pennsylvania. (Even that is pushing it.)

Certainly the Exp 88 is an all arounder that would do your “off piste” thing. It’s a lot different than the older one which was very carving biased.
(Just don’t get the k-2 Ikonic 84. Too stiff)

You could call Ski Essentials explain, and see what they have.

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
Given your initial post you have been following the advise from your ski school forum post and are working on improving your skiing skills. Given that, I would recommend not exceeding 75 underfoot. Some of the drills you mentioned and a lot of others will be easier to perfect and you will develop a better feel for ski/snow interaction with a narrower ski. The vast majority of Midwest PSIA level 3 candidates ski and test on narrower skis. That doesn’t happen by chance.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe

or

?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Goals for my next ski:

Head Monster 88 X
Volkl Mantra M5
Volkl Secret 102
Blizzard Black Pearl 82
Blizzard Black Pearl 88
Nordica Santa Ana 88

A different angle here might be to find a cheap pair of your old skis in any length on eBay. Buy them and cannibalize the bindings to buy yourself time. (Actually there is probably a bunch of Blizzard IQ style models from that era that would work, but it would require shop level knowledge to validate any given one.)

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid