• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Broke my bindings, can't replace, need new skis & bindings ASAP

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
There's a pair of Blizzard Viva IQ magnum skis on ebay for $130, maybe these bindings will slide right on in place of the broken ones?
If they do fit she might have difficulty finding a shop to work on the binding.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
If they do fit she might have difficulty finding a shop to work on the binding.
That would probably have to be a do-it-yourself project. If they're anything like the Fischer systems from that era (which we had a few), they're pretty fool-proof...which was part of the intention I'm sure

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
That would probably have to be a do-it-yourself project. If they're anything like the Fischer systems from that era (which we had a few), they're pretty fool-proof...which was part of the intention I'm sure
Agree most shops will not touch bindings that old due to liability. That said system bindings are pretty simple to adjust ... etc., just make sure you set the forward pressure and DIN correctly.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, you may be surprised. This past fall I sold a pair of Fischers at a local shop's swap with system bindings from 2006, they checked and they were still GTG. They don't accept anything that's not still indemnified

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I meant calling a shop to see what skis they have for sale.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Not that my opinion matters... but I think you'd be better off getting some new old stock replacement skis and consider the current pair trash. You could cobble together parts from other skis out there, but if the parts you are looking at are 10 years old with unknown history, the "new" binding could fail similarly and lead to an injury of yourself or others. I'd say you are lucky that the binding failed as it did versus in the middle of a turn. Count yourself lucky and move on to new skis.

Others have chimed in with suggestions, so won't bother to add anything specific there, other than midfat skis (85-95 under foot) are slower edge to edge and less interesting to ski on groomers. They usually trade that for more forgiving character off piste. Long term, it sounds like you will probably end up with a narrower carver and midfat? So pick whichever of those you can get as new old stock now and start shopping the other in off season. My 2c.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Well you could buy the same model of ski used and just transfer the bindings, but that's like buying a used engine from a junk yard for a 25-year old car; it's just as old as the one that just failed.

While there is no law against just buying an ordinary pair of bindings or plates and bindings, drill holes through everything redneck style, and mount them temporarily on the old skis, it seems that if you are going to that much trouble, you may as well by new left-over skis.

Alternatively, you might be able to find some used skis you can inspect first at a ski shop near you that does consignment sales.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not that my opinion matters... but I think you'd be better off getting some new old stock replacement skis and consider the current pair trash. You could cobble together parts from other skis out there, but if the parts you are looking at are 10 years old with unknown history, the "new" binding could fail similarly and lead to an injury of yourself or others. I'd say you are lucky that the binding failed as it did versus in the middle of a turn. Count yourself lucky and move on to new skis.

Others have chimed in with suggestions, so won't bother to add anything specific there, other than midfat skis (85-95 under foot) are slower edge to edge and less interesting to ski on groomers. They usually trade that for more forgiving character off piste. Long term, it sounds like you will probably end up with a narrower carver and midfat? So pick whichever of those you can get as new old stock now and start shopping the other in off season. My 2c.
No arguement, especially since she said she "likes to ski fast of hard packed surfaces". :) But she also said the budget is tight. Just pointing out one option.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it preferable to have GW compatible? Are a lot of boots being made with GW soles now?

Most new bindings are GW compatible. More and more boots are shipped with GW soles. Many comes with DIN (ISO 5355) soles as an option. Solid lug race boots are usually DIN only. I am in a DIN soled race boot. My entire family are in DIN boots because lots of our race ski bindings are DIN only. None of us have any issues walking in our ski boots. To us GW is a solution looking for a problem.

Resell value? I don't believe we have ever sold a pair of skis. Given many pairs away but never sold one for money.

zag

Putting on skis
Skier
It is still worth it to take your skis to a specialty ski shop that carries Blizzard skis, but just to get you through the rest of the east coast season.

If a piece of the ski binding under normal use snaps off without hitting a tree/rail/another skier,etc, it is a sign of a failing/expiring design/cheap oem. Call ahead to see if they sell Blizzard, then take them in for an inspection and ask for an inspection by a binding/mount tech.

Yes it's a unique binding that just left current list, but you never know if 1) it's just a sister model of another binding with a different name 2) they still have some in the back room 3) could still drill a different binding in some manner.

Bummer: You couldn't pick a worse week to try to buy & mount new skis than the week before MLK with a snowstorm coming. Maybe you'll be able to break out the powder sticks!

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sure, they don't make them anymore, but that's a SkiTalk testers choice ski for $199.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
It is still worth it to take your skis to a specialty ski shop that carries Blizzard skis, but just to get you through the rest of the east coast season.

If a piece of the ski binding under normal use snaps off without hitting a tree/rail/another skier,etc, it is a sign of a failing/expiring design/cheap oem. Call ahead to see if they sell Blizzard, then take them in for an inspection and ask for an inspection by a binding/mount tech.

Yes it's a unique binding that just left current list, but you never know if 1) it's just a sister model of another binding with a different name 2) they still have some in the back room 3) could still drill a different binding in some manner.

Bummer: You couldn't pick a worse week to try to buy & mount new skis than the week before MLK with a snowstorm coming. Maybe you'll be able to break out the powder sticks!
The OPs skis with system bindings are close to 10 years old. Most shops won’t work on gear that old and even if they will binding designs have changed a lot. This particular binding has a rail essentially built into the ski. Given the OPs time crunch this is not going to be the fast pass to repair unless they can find the identical 10 year old ski with bindings in good shape. This means scouring eBay l, Craigslist and used sporting goods shops. Perhaps a passion project if they love this setup but unlikely a quick fix

Sponsor

Staff online