• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Broke my bindings, can't replace, need new skis & bindings ASAP

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
What’s your BSL?
II have a pair of 165cm Liberty V76’s with Attack13 bindings that I’m looking to pass on. If you can come up to Blue Mtn or Bear Creek you could pick them up. You’d just need to pay for binding adjust or remount and a tune. I’m thinking they need a grind to flatten the bases. I don’t need $$ for them. They currently are in the possession of an instructor at Bear Creek but she doesn’t want them. They are in excellent condition. It would cost you about $150 tops to get them ready.
Wow! Thank you so much! That is incredibly generous of you! I would love to take you up on it. Will you be around any time this Sunday or Monday? I am heading to Jack Frost, and it looks like Blue Mountain is pretty close by. I have a Tecnica boot which is 24.5 (285 mm length.)

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I asked him which skis he would recommend for me, he shrugged and said "I dunno. These are pink. Do you like these?" :doh: So they didn't leave the best impression on me!

More often than not, pink skis are totally badass.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! Thank you so much! That is incredibly generous of you! I would love to take you up on it. Will you be around any time this Sunday or Monday? I am heading to Jack Frost, and it looks like Blue Mountain is pretty close by. I have a Tecnica boot which is 24.5 (285 mm length.)
PM me. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What’s your BSL?
II have a pair of 165cm Liberty V76’s with Attack13 bindings that I’m looking to pass on. If you can come up to Blue Mtn or Bear Creek you could pick them up. You’d just need to pay for binding adjust or remount and a tune. I’m thinking they need a grind to flatten the bases. I don’t need $$ for them. They currently are in the possession of an instructor at Bear Creek but she doesn’t want them. They are in excellent condition. It would cost you about $150 tops to get them ready.

When you get these, before skiing them, have a complete tune put on them with a 1/2 bevel.
We love Liberty skis but a majority of the time they need a full base grind and tune before being ready to ski.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Yesterday I fell on my side while trying some new exercises (one foot skiing, skiing backwards) and the marker VIVA binding on my Blizzard Viva TI IQ 810 snapped- part of the binding broke off and slid down the hill, along with one of my skis. I found the ski, but was told by the employees at the shop at Roundtop that Blizzard likely does not make that binding anymore, as it was specific to that ski from 2010 (? Not certain about the year, but it is pretty old now..) Anyway, they said that the skis are essentially out of commission, because it will be difficult to impossible to get new bindings on them, since they only accept that binding made specifically to fit within the rail construction of the ski. So my question is: Does anyone know if this is true about the bindings? I can't find any info about it on the Marker site. And if so, which ski would you recommend as my next ski?

I have a pretty tight budget. The Nordica Enforcers, probably in 95 width, sound like my dream ski, but are way out of my price range. I am trying to keep the entire purchase below $500, with skis and bindings included. This is an unexpected purchase, and early ski season is a terrible time to buy, but I don't have much choice because I have several ski trips coming up soon and know I will spend more money in the long run if I rent all season. I like to ski fast, do moguls, go off-piste when possible, but realistically spend most of my time skiing fast on hard packed groomers in the East Coast.

Goals for my next ski:

something a bit longer (I tried demoing Blizzard Brahmas in 170-something and loved the added length and sense of stability at high speed. My Blizzard Viva's were 160. I am 5'6" and 140 lb.
maybe something a little wider than my Blizzard Viva 81's- I own powder skis (Fatypus Emotion) so I don't need to go super wide, but maybe something in the high 80s to mid 90s to deal with crud or 6-10" of fresh snow over hardpack.

I have found some good ski + binding package deals on:

Rossignol Experience 88 ti W
Head Monster 88 X
Volkl Mantra M5
Volkl Secret 102
Blizzard Black Pearl 82
Blizzard Black Pearl 88
Nordica Santa Ana 88

Any thoughts? Would the Volkl Secrets be too wide and stiff to be fun on moguls or in glades?

I demoed the Rossignol Experience at JH and liked it a lot, but I don't remember which width or length. Probably at least 165, because I told the demo guy that I wanted to try longer skis. I am leaning towards Rossignol Experience 88 or Nordica Santa Ana 88.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thank you!
If you were happy with the ski, I have the Blizzard Viva 810 TI IQ 167 in my quiver and rarely use. If you are interested in a great deal on those, message me.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When you get these, before skiing them, have a complete tune put on them with a 1/2 bevel.
We love Liberty skis but a majority of the time they need a full base grind and tune before being ready to ski.
That’s exactly what I told her in my PM, so thanks for verifying. I’m pretty sure they came from the factory railed, and I’m going to check them tonight on the bench. I wasn’t sure what bevel to ask for so thanks for recommending the 1/2. ogsmile

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Pink is badass. The hot pink Liberty Evolv 90w stole my heart last spring.

Men who wear (and ski) pink are comfortable with their masculinity. ogsmile
Thread drift ...pink...never had a problem wearing that, this is from 2013, pants have been in use since the mid '90s, not yet completely decom, but rarely used these days (for the record, those are K2 pants), very faded by now, from a bright pink to a palest fo the pinks... :-D
full

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch
@dbostedo
Do you know a good shop in Baltimore/southern PA area where @hollyberry can get her Liberty skis ground?

Given the choices near Baltimore (Ski Warehouse, Sun and Ski, Princeton) I would go to someplace near Roundtop (Mountainside or World Cup), the DC ones @dbostedo already named, or ... take them to Stowe when she goes up there (which is soon, right?)

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Given the choices near Baltimore (Ski Warehouse, Sun and Ski, Princeton) I would go to someplace near Roundtop (Mountainside or World Cup), the DC ones @dbostedo already named, or ... take them to Stowe when she goes up there (which is soon, right?)
I'm hoping to get them ready to go before my Stowe trip. So perhaps near Roundtop or the ski shop in Gaithersburg? BTW, I called the shop in Gaithersburg and told them that I want a base grind and 1,2 bevel plus a binding adjustment- they said it would cost about $60. Does that seem right? I asked the person from the shop if he was sure that was for a full base grind and doing the bevel on the sides plus a binding adjustment and he said yes, that would be the price for all of that. Just checking- a base grind and setting the bevel would not be the same as a 'light tune,' or would it? I am not that great with the ski shop terminology and want to make sure I am asking for the correct service.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm hoping to get them ready to go before my Stowe trip. So perhaps near Roundtop or the ski shop in Gaithersburg? BTW, I called the shop in Gaithersburg and told them that I want a base grind and 1,2 bevel plus a binding adjustment- they said it would cost about $60. Does that seem right? I asked the person from the shop if he was sure that was for a full base grind and doing the bevel on the sides plus a binding adjustment and he said yes, that would be the price for all of that.

That is a reasonable price, especially for this area. Make absolutely sure they can deliver the turnaround time you want.

Just checking- a base grind and setting the bevel would not be the same as a 'light tune,' or would it? I am not that great with the ski shop terminology and want to make sure I am asking for the correct service.

'Light tune' can mean a lot of things, depending on whom you ask, Stick to the specifics of what you want and the pick up date you need and you won't go wrong.:thumb:

Whitetail: There used to be a shop I trusted in Frederick - out of business. There's no proper service shops in Hagerstown or between I-70 and the hill other than the on-mountain shop; the Mechanicsburg side is a bit of a desert even for retail.

EDIT: IF you take a wax here that you will use in Stowe, make sure you ask for cold - you want it rated down to the 5-10F range.

Last edited:
TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
That is a reasonable price, especially for this area. Make absolutely sure they can deliver the turnaround time you want.

'Light tune' can mean a lot of things, depending on whom you ask, Stick to the specifics of what you want and the pick up date you need and you won't go wrong.:thumb:

Whitetail: There used to be a shop I trusted in Frederick - out of business. There's no proper service shops in Hagerstown or between I-70 and the hill other than the on-mountain shop; the Mechanicsburg side is a bit of a desert even for retail.

EDIT: IF you take a wax here that you will use in Stowe, make sure you ask for cold - you want it rated down to the 5-10F range.
Thanks for the tips!

zag

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm hoping to get them ready to go before my Stowe trip. So perhaps near Roundtop or the ski shop in Gaithersburg? BTW, I called the shop in Gaithersburg and told them that I want a base grind and 1,2 bevel plus a binding adjustment- they said it would cost about $60. Does that seem right? I asked the person from the shop if he was sure that was for a full base grind and doing the bevel on the sides plus a binding adjustment and he said yes, that would be the price for all of that. Just checking- a base grind and setting the bevel would not be the same as a 'light tune,' or would it? I am not that great with the ski shop terminology and want to make sure I am asking for the correct service.
That is a fair price. That shop knows what they are doing, you'll get what you ask for. A base grind and bevel may be called a light tune - a full tune might include hand wax (worth upgrade) and light base repair.
Also, are there any good shops near Whitetail? I might be headed there next week.
No, nothing, nada. Leesburg and Gaithersburg still nearest actual ski shops.

Sponsor

Staff online