• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Broken Ankle and ski boots

TS
C

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
If that's $400 real dollars of credit, I would at least get the Northeast Midweek Pass (essentially free) and keep it in my back pocket.
The $400 worth is for a full Epic pass. As the credit and the discount are both a percentage. It's only a 40% off whatever version of the pass I buy.

Granted, the lower tier pass will be inexpensive enough, a further 40% off would make it feels "almost free". But I wouldn't be doing a midweek pass. Partly because I'm not usually able to ski midweek. Also because there's some rumor the Vail is scaling back several mountains to weekend only. If so, it makes the midweek pass rather bad value.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Indy pass? Just sayin'. Also, another candidate for rear-entry boots? Again, just sayin'. Tis only money FLUSH

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sometimes ankles get locked up and no amount of stretching will help. This then causes a long list of symptoms such as plantar fasciitis, neuromas, etc. If you don’t feel the stretch in your calf your ankle may be locked up due to bony impingement or may simply need to be mobilized

Unfortunately mobilization is the most underutilized treatment out there

Here’s a video on it-

I’ve found chiropractors who work on extremities the most likely practitioner todo this well.

Other times the lack of ankle mobility is just tight muscles from being immobilized so long.

The call muscles are hard to reallly get stretched out.

Sometimes this can help-

Spam16v

Zac
Skier
I’ve had a plate and hardware in my fib and crushed the lower head of my tib. Front end tucked on my KTM and engine case crushed my ankle. Plate got removed because it was driving me insane and threatening to cut it out and use a Dewalt impact on the T30 screws that were starting to show through the skin convinced the surgeon to do it before I did.

I wear full tilt boots which are all I could get in, because the one ankle is bigger and all screwed up. Don’t go in the full tilt boot thread from a few weeks ago because they all say you’ll die without 130 flex plug boots because they raced back in Polk High and got 4 touchdowns in a single game. Results may vary.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve had a plate and hardware in my fib and crushed the lower head of my tib. Front end tucked on my KTM and engine case crushed my ankle. Plate got removed because it was driving me insane and threatening to cut it out and use a Dewalt impact on the T30 screws that were starting to show through the skin convinced the surgeon to do it before I did.

I wear full tilt boots which are all I could get in, because the one ankle is bigger and all screwed up. Don’t go in the full tilt boot thread from a few weeks ago because they all say you’ll die without 130 flex plug boots because they raced back in Polk High and got 4 touchdowns in a single game. Results may vary.
I still would like to try out a Full Tilt First Chair 130 someday to compare to my Langes.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
20210904_215117.jpg

TS
C

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
LOL

When the eventual outcome of the pain is desirable, it's courage. If it doesn't work out, or the outcome is frivolous to begin with, the enduring pain becomes stupidity. I'm seeing it being the latter for my quest of cashing in the discount and credit.

Anyway, feel free to talk about boots and other injuries to he rest of the body. (as I have made up my mind)

See you guys in a year.

Last edited:

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
LOL

Anyway, feel free to talk about boots and other injuries to the rest of the body. (as I have made up my mind)

See you guys in a year.
Wait... you mean you don't want to hear about that time I broke my collar bone??

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sometimes ankles get locked up and no amount of stretching will help. This then causes a long list of symptoms such as plantar fasciitis, neuromas, etc. If you don’t feel the stretch in your calf your ankle may be locked up due to bony impingement or may simply need to be mobilized

Here’s a video on it-

I’ve found chiropractors who work on extremities the most likely practitioner todo this well.

Other times the lack of ankle mobility is just tight muscles from being immobilized so long.

Sometimes this can help-

My kid had that a few years ago and had to wear the boot -two rounds. When ski season came around, the orthopedist said skiing should be fine since the foot and ankle are locked in. He was fine.

Come to think of it, I could saved the $250 deductible by having him wear a ski boot!

Recently he strained a hamstring. When I told the trainer we had hiked Mt Mansfield the previous weekend, her jaw dropped.

So, it depends on the sport and the person. For op, I can see how the cost of full Epic is a big outlay. People have different pain thresholds.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier

Here’s a video on it-

Sometimes this can help-

Whoops, second link was supposed to be this for calf stretching-

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Glad you reached a decision. Given your situation -- weekend skiing, needing to travel to ski, possibility of even larger crowds as a result of the EPIC discount, and IMO needing lodge access to put on and remove boots -- it wasn't a slam-dunk to renew your pass.

If your ankle and/or the skiing situation improves enough, you can always change your mind.

When I fractured my proximal tibia and damaged the ACL, the ortho said the bone would heal in 6 weeks. I asked about a follow-up MRI. He said it wouldn't show anything new, that there was a bunch of fluid and it could be 6 months before my body had absorbed it all. You're still in a rehab mode, increasing the demands you put on your ankle and letting it freak out and then adjust. Good luck with that process. And with getting back on skis, whether this season or next.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....But I wouldn't be doing a midweek pass. Partly because I'm not usually able to ski midweek. Also because there's some rumor the Vail is scaling back several mountains to weekend only. If so, it makes the midweek pass rather bad value.
I see you ski in the North East. What rumor is this??? I haven't run into this info yet. Can you say more about what you've heard?

And if the OP is gone, can anyone else confirm that there are such rumors?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I see you ski in the North East. What rumor is this??? I haven't run into this info yet. Can you say more about what you've heard?

And if the OP is gone, can anyone else confirm that there are such rumors?

Cannot confirm rumour - our Mid-Atlantic VR hills do have curtailed hours but are not weekends only.

hipstergrl

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I broke my ankle earlier this summer and required surgery. 1 plate & six screws later - I'm on the market now for new ski boots. I am HOPING to ski comfortably this season. Physio sees no reason why I cannot and is encouraging me to go. I am worried about the boot rubbing my ankle as my hiking boots even bother me. Just wondering what type of boot I should look into and what's on the market these days? The last ski boot I bought was more than 15 yrs go! Yes, I am totally due! :cool:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I broke my ankle earlier this summer and required surgery. 1 plate & six screws later - I'm on the market now for new ski boots. I am HOPING to ski comfortably this season. Physio sees no reason why I cannot and is encouraging me to go. I am worried about the boot rubbing my ankle as my hiking boots even bother me. Just wondering what type of boot I should look into and what's on the market these days? The last ski boot I bought was more than 15 yrs go! Yes, I am totally due! :cool:
Welcome to the site. you should be able to get some good direction. I remember breaking my ankle and the fear getting back into boots. Like many fear situations 80% of the times it is unwarranted and goes fine. 10% goes wrong and 10% anything can happen. I suggest focusing on the 80% and not worry about the other 20% ... yet.

How is the ankle mobility, is it where it was before the break and is it near where the other one is now? Is the sensitivity more on the inside of the ankle or the outside? What is the goal in your skiing, jsut to get 3-6 runs a day on the greens and blues or ski bell to bell and ski hard and run gates in a beer league? All questions a good bootfitter should ask you.

As far as what type boot, it is really hard to say withour seeing you in person. <If> your mobility is very limited, and there are some options there like a cabriolet (3 piece shell like a Full Tilt or Dalbello Krypton) or if extremely limited, Nordica's HF rear entry. But an overlap boot (traditional 4 buckle design) with a walk could work also. What I am saying in there are a lot more options today, than there were 15 years ago when you got your last boots. The one thing that you will hear is that you need to see a bootfitter that has worked with broken ankles. A great question to ask when setting the appointment.

hipstergrl

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@jmeb @Philpug Thanks all for this valuable info. Will make a point to ask a lot of questions. My plan is to ski as best as I can this season. Don't think I'll be skiing too hard. My ROM in ankle is pretty good but still a little sensitive to touch (outside ankle) with shoes/boots rubbing it - broke my fibula and it was unstable which required the surgery. I'm anxious to get back to activities I love doing. Skiiing is tops for me so keeping fingers crossed all will be ok. Thanks again.:)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@hipstergrl -- you'll get there. Good news is you're likely to do more damage to the ankle once it's in the boot if you keep the pain low on a 1-10 scale. I broke my fib a couple of seasons back and had to switch to a 3 piece boot that @Philpug mentions due to loss of ROM. But by end of the season, I was back at full strength.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
@jmeb @Philpug Thanks all for this valuable info. Will make a point to ask a lot of questions. My plan is to ski as best as I can this season. Don't think I'll be skiing too hard. My ROM in ankle is pretty good but still a little sensitive to touch (outside ankle) with shoes/boots rubbing it - broke my fibula and it was unstable which required the surgery. I'm anxious to get back to activities I love doing. Skiiing is tops for me so keeping fingers crossed all will be ok. Thanks again.:)
go see your boot fitter and just have things checked over in terms of how the boot fits, if the fibula head is a little different to how it was when you had the boos fitted then it will sit in a different place in the boot and could cause pain, might all be fine, might need a minor adjustment might need something more

good luck getting back on the hill

Sponsor

Staff online