• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Broken Heel Help

Slash01z

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Everyone, So long story short cased and decent size jump last February and most likely broke my heel in some way shape or form ( I say most likely because i'm to cheap and stubborn to go and visit the doctor). Figured after the first month or two of limping around it would slowly get better... Well 9 months later it has progressed but I have developed/can feel a small lump (most likely calcium buildup around the fracture point) on the bottom front of the heel. Well I skied the past 5 days now and on a positive note its not terrible during a casual glide down the hill but any type of unexpected hit to the heel or yes even hitting small jumps because i can't resist is like taking a dead blow hammer to my heel. Days 3 and 4 I tried to get creative with padding and gel inserts but most only made it worse actually. I come here for help from any others as to what modifications to boots may have helped them in a similar instance if any!

Thanks in advance!

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Good advice above. I have previously fractured my calcaneus--you will need to see an orthopedic surgeon or perhaps a podiatrist, as well as get some imaging to determine what is going on and determine a proper path to recovery.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I can relate to not wanting to goto the dr! I broke my foot(navicular) in a ski boot over 20 years ago and even with proper medical attention and surgery it still gives me fits sometimes. When I initially returned to skiing after the injury I intentionally sized up in boots to give myself abit of room over the injured spot, BIG mistake! That little bit of extra room/slop allowed my foot to bang around with every bump/turn/jump/etc which in turn felt like a hammer hitting the effected area all day long.

So, if you insist on not checking with a doc and playing web md/bootfitter(which I do myself!) I'd confirm that your heel is locked in nice and snug.

BUT I THINK SEEING A PRO IS THE BEST OPTION!

TS
S

Slash01z

Skier
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately i figured this would be a common response. Just wish i could go back 9 months now and go in right away as i'm sure its a much more difficult recovery now that it has most likely healed in a not so great way. Thanks!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, if it's still a problem after all this time I'd see a doctor. Although as a rule of thumb, after 40 years old it takes a year for things to finish healing.
But even if a doctor confirms it's calcium buildup, you still have to deal with it.
padding and gel inserts but most only made it worse actually
Maybe donut padding that doesn't touch it?

TS
S

Slash01z

Skier
Yeah, if it's still a problem after all this time I'd see a doctor. Although as a rule of thumb, after 40 years old it takes a year for things to finish healing.
But even if a doctor confirms it's calcium buildup, you still have to deal with it.

Maybe donut padding that doesn't touch it?

The Donut padding was my first thought! They saved my ankles during my hockey years! I actually took a hole saw to some gel insets to remove where the primary point of pain was but no luck! Unfortunately i'm only 28 so with that theory about 3/4 of 40 so ratio puts me at 9 months vs 12 so maybe a couple more days and we will be their! LOL..... I'll ride it out until the new insurance year and probably go in for a visit! Thanks!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since its the internet and most of us aren't mds, my kids had plantar fascitis. They had to wear boots and then do stretches for the achilles. Its common.

The doctors will take an xray and advise on the treatment and therapy. Get it done in one day and follow their treatment suggestions as life allows.

Sponsor

Staff online