• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Bucket List Western Ski Trip advice

Tony

tseeb
Skier
To all those suggesting and discussing Sun Valley, Telluride, Banff/Lake Louise, etc. you are forgetting or ignoring OP’s fact no. 1 “Epic military/veteran pass locations, so Vail owned only.”

From https://www.epicpass.com/info/military-faqs-20-21.aspx
  • Military Epic Passes do not currently include partner resort access for the 2021/22 season, and thus will not provide access to Telluride, Sun Valley, Snowbasin, Resorts of the Canadian Rockies (Fernie, Kicking Horse, Kimberley Alpine Resort, Nakiska, Mont Sainte Anne, and Stoneham), Rusutsu, Hakuba Valley-Japan, or European Partners.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
To all those suggesting and discussing Sun Valley, Telluride, Banff/Lake Louise, etc. you are forgetting or ignoring OP’s fact no. 1 “Epic military/veteran pass locations, so Vail owned only.”

• Military Epic Passes do not currently include partner resort access for the 2021/22 season, and thus will not provide access to Telluride, Sun Valley, Snowbasin, Resorts of the Canadian Rockies (Fernie, Kicking Horse, Kimberley Alpine Resort, Nakiska, Mont Sainte Anne, and Stoneham), Rusutsu, Hakuba Valley-Japan, or European Partners.
I suggested Banff only with the caveat that lift tix and lodging may come in at the same price as lodging in Park City, especially after exchange. I had a quick look and that seems to be mostly true, unless they stay in a Kimball Junction chain hotel like a Holiday Inn Express, in which case PC would be still only be slightly cheaper.

Edit: And factoring the favorable exchange rate on other costs, Banff would still likely be as cheap, or cheaper even with a prepaid Epic Pass and a $350US/night hotel in Kimball Junction.

Last edited:

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Ok here is the tale of the tape between skiing and staying in Park City and Banff from March 3-9 (dates I arbitrarily chose for early March).

Park City: 6 nights in Holiday Inn Express in ultra-drab Kimball Junction- $2316CN on Expedia.

Banff: 6 nights at the Banff Inn plus a 5 day Adult and a 5 day Senior Ski Big 3 Senior Pass- $1882CN on SkiBig3

If going into Canada, you'd need a PCR test which would be a bit of a pain mind you, but the costs definitely bear out.

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
Update:

First, I appreciate all the input. The first law of ski travel: If you ask 5 skiers what they think about a potential ski trip, the minimum number of opinions is 7.

As Tony pointed out, many of the great options you've brought up are not happening. Telluride, Sun Valley, etc. If it ain't on our GI Joe pass, he ain't going. Crossing the Canadian border is a no go as long as there is a testing requirement to return to the US. The work/life consequence of a delayed return to either myself or my BIL are too great to risk possibly being delayed by coming up positive.

As much as I like the idea of Vail/Breck/BC, I think Dad is already kind of opposed to the idea. We can get a pretty good flight from BTV through ORD into Vail, but it's $2-300 more a ticket than SLC or Reno. We can handle it, but as the overall price of the trip goes up, so does Dad's resistance to going. He once postponed a 4 hour road trip on me because gas went up $0.25. It's not that he can't afford it, it's that he's got a fundamental objection wired into his soul about paying more for something than he thinks he should. Comes from being a kid who grew up in the projects and clawed his way into the middle class, I suppose.

Anyway, I think we're down to PC or Heavenly. My secret desire is that, if this trip goes off without a hitch and it feels easy to him, maybe I set the stage for another, longer trip next year. The first one is the toughest for him. He used to refuse to ski at Stowe because it was different and 20 minutes further away than Smuggs. Once I broke the seal, though, he was fine with the change. In fact, now that his habit is going to Stowe, he barely skis the Smuggs side anymore.

I think I've convinced him to extend the trip to a Tuesday-Sunday length, but that's about as far as I can push it. I figure we can take it easy up front and ease into things and hope for the best. I know a full week would be better, but I may as well ask him to fly to the moon as be away from home for that long. Again, maybe next time, if I can pull this one off.

PC is easier to get to, as best I can tell, and we've found some reasonable Airbnb's in the area. I like the idea of venturing up into the Cottonwood Canyons. Dad would be just as happy with seeing mountains on a hike/drive as he is on skis. Perhaps an option for a rest day. I might be able to sneak a lift ticket past him and go to another mountain, depends on his mood. Also, total aside, but a trip to Utah might allow me to drop by DPS and check out the factory. The NE/Military rep has been offering me a look around for years if I ever went out that way.

Tahoe looks amazing, not to mention it's clearly got the snow going for it this year. The terrain looks favorable to introducing Dad to some open trees, but perhaps PC has the same. Flying into Reno is tougher, at least 2 connections and a longer ride. That might enough to kill it, but I'll have to see what Dad thinks.

As for majesty, I understand where you're all coming from. I probably mischaracterized my father. The man finds majesty in a snowflake. He loves winter. Any of these western destinations and their snow covered peaks will astound him. I leave you with this. I once wrote to him to ask if he wanted me to buy him a snowblower. This was his reply:

"First significant snow of the season fell last night in Burlington. The air was cold, colder than I'd like. Now it's morning and time for me to shovel and then nurse my aching joints. But I would have it no other way (except to ban snowplows) for the simple act of shoveling forces me to once again enjoy the wonderment of life. Shoveling drags me out beyond the fortress comfort I call home and into a world we try so much to alter. God or no god, the universe is amazing.

With my dripping nose and frozen feet and fingers I am reminded that we struggle to survive like every other creature. Yet, we fail to realize struggle is just nature's way of telling us not to take anything for granted. Struggle is to enjoy, not to fight. Who are the fools? Those that rush to collect as much wealth as possible to live an artificial life cloistered from the natural world? Or those on their knees marveling at the quickness of a scurrying ant synchronizing six legs? I applaud man's achievements, but let me be among the latter. Let me watch the grass grow, the comet streak past, and hear the silence of the snow fall. Do not deprive me of a shovel.

You all have experienced the marvel in a child's face at their first experiences, especially when it's your own. And you think how privileged you are at witnessing this event. But the privilege is theirs. For they are awakening you to what you might have forgotten - the wonder of life and its simple pleasures. Heed their lessons for they know what you might have forgotten.

Bye, I have to shovel....."

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
If he's a veteran east coast skier it might be good to give him a little pre knowledge of the parking and base logistics at a big western area. Honestly that was as big as adjustment for me as anything else. I felt a little peeved the first few times when I had to deal with remote parking, shuttles, lack of a proper dump-your-stuff base lodge, locker fees, etc.
Seriously. I can't remember the last time he didn't ski out of the back of his pickup parked up against the trail. The western way of doing things will be a shocker.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

When I suggested Sun Valley, I missed that it was an Epic Veteran Pass.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Based on the info you have provided, your initial idea of Park City seems like your best choice.

Should be a great trip.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Crossing the Canadian border is a no go as long as there is a testing requirement to return to the US. The work/life consequence of a delayed return to either myself or my BIL are too great to risk possibly being delayed by coming up positive.
It sounds like you've made your mind up already, but you'd only need the test to get into Canada. Once there, you can come back to the US anytime you want without a test.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Not sure if you’ve seen this, but $250/night or $1500 for week of Mar 4-11 for place walking distance to Park City skiing that sleeps at least 4 (and could sleep 8) and has a kitchen seems like a deal. https://www.skitalk.com/threads/park-city-timeshare-available-march-4-11.25738/

If you have a car and want to experience the most majestic view from a ski area of Mount Timpanogos, you could try Sundance. Tickets are less expensive than other areas and they used to offer partial days, although snow is not as good as LCC/BCC. Lower elevation, too.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
He used to refuse to ski at Stowe because it was different and 20 minutes further away than Smuggs.

Seriously. I can't remember the last time he didn't ski out of the back of his pickup parked up against the trail. The western way of doing things will be a shocker.
This is so funny because I read your second post first and the place I pictured with the pickup parked by the trail was actually in one of the upper lots at Smuggs long ago. (I haven't been there since the 90s.)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Who are the fools? Those that rush to collect as much wealth as possible to live an artificial life cloistered from the natural world? Or those on their knees marveling at the quickness of a scurrying ant synchronizing six legs? I applaud man's achievements, but let me be among the latter. Let me watch the grass grow, the comet streak past, and hear the silence of the snow fall. Do not deprive me of a shovel.
If this is his philosophy, it's going to break his heart to ski by those mansions plopped right on the mtn at parkcity/canyons with heated driveways so they don't even need a snowblower let alone a shovel; as monuments of the conquest of man over nature and the accumulation of wealth.

Not like Tahoe tech billionaires are any better, but at least HV the mountain itself doesn't have houses on it.

---
Anyway, it's just splitting hairs, ultimately it's up to you. Once you decide, I think you can ask for tips.

For example:
At Heavenly, everybody thinks that Ridge Run is the most scenic lakeview run, but in my opinion the best view you must seek out is Pinnacles in the afternoon on a bluebird day. There is a lighting angle effect there that creates a visual that will change you. I can only describe it like if you witnessed a total solar eclipse before or perhaps like the full-on double rainbow youtube video.
It does not come out well on video, but here is an old youtube of some snowboarders losing their minds when it hits them.

Last edited:
TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
It sounds like you've made your mind up already, but you'd only need the test to get into Canada. Once there, you can come back to the US anytime you want without a test.
The CDC website I looked at is still listing a requirement of a negative test withing one day of travel for reentry via air. If that's not true, it does potentially change my calculus on where to go.

I could potentially just drive to Montreal and avoid the requirement, but that doesn't help my SoCal BIL.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I definitely wouldn't call Park City "majestic" - the Wasatch isn't the best looking mtn range in the world and Park City often seems the arse end of it. If it is out west and truly going to be once in a lifetime scenery wise you have 2 options - Tahoe or WB. If you can fly into Eagle, the Beav and Vail have never felt high to me in the same way Breck feels

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, given you’ve had to work on getting your dad to even consider this trip, are you doing the trip for his benefit or for yours? Is he really even motivated to do the trip, or is he doing it to say he did it and get you to stop trying to get him to do it?

But since you asked:
Given what you describe of him, and his writing, any place will do. Park City will be the simplest and most convenient. The more involved the travel arrangements and flight connections the more chances for things to go wrong.

For many of us here PC doesn’t meet the criteria for “majestic” or “good enough snow”, but we’re not the ones whose opinion matters. It will be an adventure for both of you, and more importantly you’ll be doing something fun together.

As far as accommodations and other expenses, does he really even need to know?

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
The CDC website I looked at is still listing a requirement of a negative test withing one day of travel for reentry via air. If that's not true, it does potentially change my calculus on where to go.

I could potentially just drive to Montreal and avoid the requirement, but that doesn't help my SoCal BIL.
That's right, the land and air border crossings are different. For you and your dad driving to Montreal with a PCR test in hand is not too big a hassle. For your BIL to get a test in Canada would definitely throw a rock in things.

The good news though is that will be less foreign travellers when I go in February!

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Updated Update:

We're going to Park City. The flights are what clinched it. One connection, short duration, close to airport. Heavenly was in the hunt, but two planes and the length of travel day was too much for him. Vail was close, but when he saw the lift out of downtown PC, he was sold. Weird what gets him excited, but hey, he's going!

Few more questions. We're going March 1-6. Best I could do for length, I get it. Plan is land Tuesday, ski Wednesday, Thursday off (pick up BIL), ski Fri and Sat and wheels up Sunday. I did get Dad to consider buying a lift ticket somewhere else for a single day. I'm guessing Brighton, but I'll see what he thinks. Any tips on how to best handle Saturday? Is that the best day to get away from PCMR?

We're on the fence on where to stay. We found a place downtown near the town lift, but it's small and expensive. We could get more room for less money if we stay further out. We're not nightlife people, this is a very ski focused trip. Any opinions? I imagine parking and what not would wipe out savings quickly compare to a place where we can walk to the lift.

Final note, my daughter may have been the one who cracked the nut. She looked at Grandpa and said "if you have fun, will you take me with you to Beaver Creek next year?" Grandkids are like kryptonite to his curmudgeonly ways. If we pull this off this year, I got a shot at making this an annual thing.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you can swing it ski thursday. have your BIL get an shuttle or uber over. Once you figure out lodging you can find way to just leave key for him; if he is ready to ski that day too he can meet you at the slopes.

Your midweek days skiing are far more precious than fri/weekend, and its only your 2nd day, so even if your BIL pays $75 to get a ride over its worth it. quit early if you are conserving energy but get out there at least dor the morning since you have passes.
Park city has night skiing so if your bil didnt get a full day and needs more snow you can extend into the night for novelty.

If your sun flight is late, you can potentially ski a little in the morning too, but that depends on how tight your flight is and if you have energy to do it.

Above is all fine tuning, you can change your plans daytoday or do as you see fit.

I am just pointing out don't feel that you must take a day off just to do an airport pickup.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Updated Update:

We're going to Park City. The flights are what clinched it. One connection, short duration, close to airport. Heavenly was in the hunt, but two planes and the length of travel day was too much for him. Vail was close, but when he saw the lift out of downtown PC, he was sold. Weird what gets him excited, but hey, he's going!

Few more questions. We're going March 1-6. Best I could do for length, I get it. Plan is land Tuesday, ski Wednesday, Thursday off (pick up BIL), ski Fri and Sat and wheels up Sunday. I did get Dad to consider buying a lift ticket somewhere else for a single day. I'm guessing Brighton, but I'll see what he thinks. Any tips on how to best handle Saturday? Is that the best day to get away from PCMR?

We're on the fence on where to stay. We found a place downtown near the town lift, but it's small and expensive. We could get more room for less money if we stay further out. We're not nightlife people, this is a very ski focused trip. Any opinions? I imagine parking and what not would wipe out savings quickly compare to a place where we can walk to the lift.

Final note, my daughter may have been the one who cracked the nut. She looked at Grandpa and said "if you have fun, will you take me with you to Beaver Creek next year?" Grandkids are like kryptonite to his curmudgeonly ways. If we pull this off this year, I got a shot at making this an annual thing.
It would be a serious shame for this to be a bucket list trip and the extra paid day not be at Alta/Snowbird, IMO.