• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Bucket List Western Ski Trip advice

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
The picture you put up of Park City is the front side. Scenery is a matter of personal preference but I don't think the picture you posted is an entirely fair representation.
I was just trying to make the point that it's brown as per the post I was replying to. Also, much of the time spent on the vacation will be in the town, so that's what they'll be looking at.

As I said, I'm a huge mountain scenery fan and don't mind a 45 minute drive so the Cottonwoods or the previously suggestion Snowbasin are a no brainer for me. Others might hate driving, or don't care about scenery so staying put is more their speed. I know on my bucket list trip, I'm going to where the views are.

Concerning the Snowbasin suggestion, I like it if the OP doesn't mind the extra lift ticket cost vs my earlier suggested Brighton (especially if conditions are good). The mountain is a true western mountain with tons of open bowl skiing. The groomers off the John Paul chair will be longer and more exciting than at PC as well.

Marathoner

Putting on skis
Skier
Updated Update:

We're going to Park City. The flights are what clinched it. One connection, short duration, close to airport. Heavenly was in the hunt, but two planes and the length of travel day was too much for him. Vail was close, but when he saw the lift out of downtown PC, he was sold. Weird what gets him excited, but hey, he's going!

Few more questions. We're going March 1-6. Best I could do for length, I get it. Plan is land Tuesday, ski Wednesday, Thursday off (pick up BIL), ski Fri and Sat and wheels up Sunday. I did get Dad to consider buying a lift ticket somewhere else for a single day. I'm guessing Brighton, but I'll see what he thinks. Any tips on how to best handle Saturday? Is that the best day to get away from PCMR?

We're on the fence on where to stay. We found a place downtown near the town lift, but it's small and expensive. We could get more room for less money if we stay further out. We're not nightlife people, this is a very ski focused trip. Any opinions? I imagine parking and what not would wipe out savings quickly compare to a place where we can walk to the lift.

Final note, my daughter may have been the one who cracked the nut. She looked at Grandpa and said "if you have fun, will you take me with you to Beaver Creek next year?" Grandkids are like kryptonite to his curmudgeonly ways. If we pull this off this year, I got a shot at making this an annual thing.
So how was the trip and how did your dad like the overall experience?

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
So how was the trip and how did your dad like the overall experience?

Check it out! I balled in a Breck report so I posted it separately. Dad had a blast.

Sponsor

Staff online