• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Budget Boot for Expert Skier

csnaspuck

Booting up
Skier
Obviously new to the site and still going through older threads but figure if anyone is bored and wants to provide some information it would be greatly appreciated.

First I live in Orlando FL and we have only 2 ski shops in town and one has terrible selection of product and the other put me in a bad pair of boots many years ago. I plan on ordering these boots online. I am currently in a pair of about 8 year old Nordica 85 flex and they are very comfortable but I feel like I need something with a better performance. Currently ski on Fischer Ranger 96s. I only ski 7-10 days a year either Colorado or Utah and I am 42 and 180lbs. I am humble but I have been skiing yearly since I was 7 and can ski 99% everything inbounds. Last year was the first year I did hiking on the East Castle at Alta and enjoyed it but might only do something like that once a year. Most of the time I am skiing groomers with the wife then occasionally hitting the bumps or steep stuff. I would like to get a new pair of boots but keep it under $400. I have been watching the sales for 2021 and now 2022 models but since I will be ordering online I would like to maybe purchase 2 pairs and send one back. I know it would be best to probably wait until I go on the first trip this winter and buy something out there with knowledgeable staff but I might end up in something that I compromise price for something I want or could get cheaper online. Thoughts?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm all for getting a good bargain and keeping skiing as cheap as possible but I'm going to tell you what every else is about to. Don't buy boots online. Buy them close to where you are skiing from a reputable bootfitter. Yes it probably will cost a bit more but you will end up with the right boots and have them properly fitted to your feet instead of getting the wrong ones online and having to replace them anyway.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not much more costly than a bargain boot, it can cost you and ruin a whole ski trip, which easily can be into the thousands.

I am humble but I have been skiing yearly since I was 7 and can ski 99% everything inbounds.
Since you are humble, we will also humbly tell you to take yoru first day of skiing on your next trip and visit a proper ski shop with a quality fitter.
I know it would be best to probably wait until I go on the first trip this winter and buy something out there with knowledgeable staff but I might end up in something that I compromise price for something I want or could get cheaper online. Thoughts?
While you might be able to find a leftover online cheaper, you will not be getting the knowledge of the proper fit to go with it, which unto itself is more valuable than any dollar amount you can save. And for someone who buys a boot every 8 years, ammortorizing any additional cost is minimal to the cost of being in a boot that does not fit your foot.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
You will probably be able to get near perfect fit for roughly $800 ($600 ish boot, $200 ish fitter fee). It will also eat a day or so of your ski vacation if you do it at the destination. 1/2 day to get fit (best IMO to go during the ski day when the shop is not busy and you get undivided attention). Another hour or two some evening/morning to get a couple tweaks a day or two later. Then maybe go back to the same ski destination for one more tweak a season or two later.

At least this is what it took for me. It was well worth it. My wife did the same process and loves her boots.

$400 won't get the same result for most.

If you ski as well as you claim, you will absolutely feel the performance difference and comfort.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
You will probably be able to get near perfect fit for roughly $800 ($600 ish boot, $200 ish fitter fee). It will also eat a day or so of your ski vacation if you do it at the destination. 1/2 day to get fit (best IMO to go during the ski day when the shop is not busy and you get undivided attention). Another hour or two some evening/morning to get a couple tweaks a day or two later. Then maybe go back to the same ski destination for one more tweak a season or two later.

At least this is what it took for me. It was well worth it. My wife did the same process and loves her boots.

$400 won't get the same result for most.

If you ski as well as you claim, you will absolutely feel the performance difference and comfort.
IME many fitters include the fitting with the boots and will even make adjustments if you bring them back within a year. Custom footbeds(highly recommended) will cost extra.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
There is a good chance your current boots are too big so make a plan to get your bindings adjusted for the new boots that first day too.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Look, ya wanna DO SOMETHING…..

Watch some YouTube & make molds of your feet; send em to your boot fitter on location & have em pick out some prospects for when you arrive. :)

D10067E1-5466-47D1-8425-7DAE9BAD9847.jpeg

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Obviously new to the site and still going through older threads but figure if anyone is bored and wants to provide some information it would be greatly appreciated.

First I live in Orlando FL and we have only 2 ski shops in town and one has terrible selection of product and the other put me in a bad pair of boots many years ago. I plan on ordering these boots online. I am currently in a pair of about 8 year old Nordica 85 flex and they are very comfortable but I feel like I need something with a better performance. Currently ski on Fischer Ranger 96s. I only ski 7-10 days a year either Colorado or Utah and I am 42 and 180lbs. I am humble but I have been skiing yearly since I was 7 and can ski 99% everything inbounds. Last year was the first year I did hiking on the East Castle at Alta and enjoyed it but might only do something like that once a year. Most of the time I am skiing groomers with the wife then occasionally hitting the bumps or steep stuff. I would like to get a new pair of boots but keep it under $400. I have been watching the sales for 2021 and now 2022 models but since I will be ordering online I would like to maybe purchase 2 pairs and send one back. I know it would be best to probably wait until I go on the first trip this winter and buy something out there with knowledgeable staff but I might end up in something that I compromise price for something I want or could get cheaper online. Thoughts?
You might wish to contact
Mike at Southern Ski in Columbia South Carolina
He has helped many Florida members get dialed in

and no $400 aint gonna cut it for something that actually fits your foot

but if ya wanna waste $400 anyways send it to me so I can buy a few 30 packs of natty ice

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Just a general question for you all: would it be a good idea for people who live far away from a resort (like OP) to test and break in boots on a dry slope?

A cursory Google search says there's one near Orlando Florida.

Last edited:

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
True, but doesn't really address the question...
Cause a cast might get ya close
But the human foot is a tangled mess of blood vessels ,nerves and bones

any bootfitter won’t commit to anything working without an actual human foot

Attached to a conscious human cause well interactions ya know

which is why you still rock those rear entry boots

cause well it just works for YOUR tanged mess of nerves, blood vessels and bones

plus anatomy

I guess it’s just rokit science

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that would be very close to the real thing, so my answer is yes. Your feet won't get cold, but you will experience ski forces

Sponsor