• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Budget Boot for Expert Skier

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Correct me if I am wrong, but Tecnica, Atomic, and other manufacturers design ski boots specifically for women. It’s difficult to make adult womens boots in a true 21,5: size. Currently companies cannot offer such sizes with an adult toe lug. I am sure small women sizes are under discussion in Austria.

In addition, a lower women’s cuff height has not to do with reduced costs. It’s mostly due to women’s lower calf anatomy. With sizes above ~24.5, a women can easily fit into a mens boot with the higher shell height.

Many women I ski with are currently in 22.5 Atomics Hawx Ultra. They range from 5 to 6.5 in street shoe. Most of these women are kick ass skiers. One has reserved a pair of Atomic STI 110 (unisex) in 22.5 for a Sept/Dec fitting.

Don't know anyone that needed a true 21.5. I am sure there are women/men out there that needed a true 21.5. Just don't know any personally.
I have also watched my fitter put several guy friends in "women" boots because they have shorter lower legs and well developed calves. For me it's whatever fits.

@Near Nyquist is a fitter in the SF area. He is always complaining about the store buyer not bringing in enough 22.5 for the smaller Asian women of that area.

Then there is the technique/skillset issue. A rabbit hole for sure.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't know anyone that needed a true 21.5. I am sure there are women/men out there that needed a true 21.5. Just don't know any personally.
I would sell 2-3 a year. At one time, Tecnica had a 130 in a 21.5

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, the shop I do work for/with always orders a few pair of Lange RS's in 21.5. They almost always sell their ordered stock during the season, and often before the snow flies. I'm really glad someone makes them. Also people should be aware that some manufacturers make a boot labeled 22.5 that are 23.5's with a toe dam/ribs that make it feel shorter.... don't get me started on this practice. Buyers shouldn't even order these IMHO.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
You say the woman's development size is a 24.5 and what width would that be? The reason I ask is because I have an ongoing debate with my daughter about what size boot she should be skiing. I think she should be using a 24.5 and she thinks it should be a 25.5, her foot is similar to mine, wide with a high instep. What would be a high volume size for women's boot? Is there a wide last made for women is it 98 or 100?
The reference size is the 26/26.5 shell. Forefoot width (just one dimension/aspect/measurement) is scaled by 2mm per shell size from size 26.

So, Hawx Magna (a 102mm, high-volume last in size 26/26.5) is 100mm in 25/25.5, 98mm in 24/24.5 and so on.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Thanks for clearing that up. I’ve heard the same thing markojp described above and just never thought about it…then when I actually thought about it, I couldn’t make sense of it. Glad I asked.

ETA: Thinking about this further, I’ve also gotta ask about the lower shell being the same for men/women…I’m guessing this is mostly due to cost. But is the manufacturing world doing women a disservice by doing this? My understanding, which seems to be backed up by many studies is that women tend to have narrower feet for the same length, generally speaking. And judging by the number of serious women skiers that end up in a junior race boot, this seems to follow in line with my understanding.

Has there been discussions and research on creating boot lines specifically with women in mind? This is assuming that most current models are built off of average/median mens feet…cause if we’re being honest here…skiing is still very much a boys club in many ways (though getting better all the time).
The average Dutch woman’s foot is very different from the average Japanese woman’s foot. Show me a “woman’s foot” that translates across all cultures, all populations. There’s really no such thing. There’s just feet.

Now, we of course make women’s boots but their difference is related to the cuff/calf shape/height, not foot shape. And even then it depends on your specific anatomy if it is right for your or not.

The boot has no idea what your sex/gender is. It just knows the shape of your body. If you are a woman, never get caught up or laser-focused on being in a “women’s” boot, or conversely as a man being in a men’s boot. Get what works for your body.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The average Dutch woman’s foot is very different from the average Japanese woman’s foot. Show me a “woman’s foot” that translates across all cultures, all populations. There’s really no such thing. There’s just feet.
Fair enough…I hadn’t really thought about different populations, and how much they differ as well.
The boot has no idea what your sex/gender is. It just knows the shape of your body. If you are a woman, never get caught up or laser-focused on being in a “women’s” boot, or conversely as a man being in a men’s boot. Get what works for your body.
agreed. I’ve never looked at mens boots, due to size offered, nothing to do with the gender listed… I sometimes use mens skis and wear mens bibs because they work for me better. Whatever works is best.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
FWIW, the shop I do work for/with always orders a few pair of Lange RS's in 21.5. They almost always sell their ordered stock during the season, and often before the snow flies. I'm really glad someone makes them. Also people should be aware that some manufacturers make a boot labeled 22.5 that are 23.5's with a toe dam/ribs that make it feel shorter.... don't get me started on this practice. Buyers shouldn't even order these IMHO.
EE8C15CC-E908-4529-AAD2-CA88F6D69483.jpeg

small boots for those Silicon Valley Girls with small feet

they ain’t no San Fernando Valley girls

Near Nyquist

Skier
My wife may benefit from 21.5s (shes currently in a 21.22.5 tecnica mach1 + zipfit with some modifications. Just relocated to the bay area, when you stocking up boots this season?
Target date is Mid October

But I got those 21.5 in my hot hands right now

but again it really depends on her foot

what’s the issue with the current setup
?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you and you are right. Sorry for cutting you down earlier. I ski 7-10 days a year but I fish 40-50 days a year so my money is typically spent on fishing\boating equipment.

I think I will open the wallet a little more. I am skiing Beaver Creek the end of January for a week and I know of a shop with a guy I trust that tunes our skis every year and I will schedule some time with him on a boot fitting or someone he recommends. The BC trip is more about skiing groomers with my wife and it will be a good time to break in. Then I am going to Utah the end of February and I can use that time to enjoy the boots more. I am planning on skiing the interconnect this year so it would be good to have a quality pair I can get the most out of.

You're a good sport, @csnaspuck. You can tell we like to give advice about boots to those who ask. Enjoy your two ski weeks out west this upcoming season, and may you find the perfect fit to help you maximize your fun.
I want to circle back to these posts from 5 pages ago.

@csnaspuck I'll X2 LiquidFeet's comment.
You've been a good sport and I'm glad you're going to do your bootfitting in ski country. Please let us know how it goes.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I am confused, as far as I can tell, Tecnica does not offer a 21.5 in an adult model. Dalbello Chakra and Lupo AX offer a 21.5 and the only other option is tha Atomic Redster LC 110. The Lange RS 110 is hardly a recreational boot for most skiers.

Near Nyquist

Skier
I am confused, as far as I can tell, Tecnica does not offer a 21.5 in an adult model. Dalbello Chakra and Lupo AX offer a 21.5 and the only other option is tha Atomic Redster LC 110. The Lange RS 110 is hardly a recreational boot for most skiers.
I have had gals crush that Lange rs 110 in the shop
They are talented

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

They make an RS 90 in 21.5 as well, and the Dalbello cabrio boot design is very stiff. Again, boot flex numbers are not standardized and only really relevant in the most rudimentary way. The two examples you've mentioned flex completely differently, and the Chakra is a very stiff boot for its given flex rating... again, more damn lies on boot boxes ogsmile

FWIW, and IMHO, the Lange RS 110 SC in a 21.5 is indeed a recreational ski boot (why any less so than a redster?) if its the one that fits and offers the performance one is looking for. There's really no problem out our way finding skiers with small feet that this boot is an appropriate choice for... some will say, "but it's a race boot". To that we answer that it has a solid, traditional block DIN sole that will require some care to protect on your part, but will ski with excellent response to any lateral input and flexes very progressively. It's also a very easy boot to take apart and work on which is critical for small boots. Other than that, its just a ski boot. If it fits and the user can move it, well, there you go. The shop does order and sell more 21.5 RS 90's though.

Phil also said Tecnica used to offer a 21.5.... past tense.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The reference size is the 26/26.5 shell. Forefoot width (just one dimension/aspect/measurement) is scaled by 2mm per shell size from size 26.

So, Hawx Magna (a 102mm, high-volume last in size 26/26.5) is 100mm in 25/25.5, 98mm in 24/24.5 and so on.
Thanks.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is allometry taken into account during scaling or are ski boots isometrically scaled?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid