• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Budget dropper?

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I want a dropper seatpost. No question there. But I am intentionally cheap with bikes, to offset what I spend on skiing. I had ignored droppers assuming that it would cross my arbitrary 'don't buy it' threshold of more than half what I paid for my used mtb. But it turns out there are some options not too far from that mark.

What should I look for, in a budget dropper post? It will go in a 2000s era hardtail, if that matters.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a PWN Component Loam which isn't too expensive, but isn't cheap either. I like it quite a bit. You will likely need an externally routed dropper which makes them more expensive. Depending on your definition of budget one of these might work.
PWN Components Droppers

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What should I look for, in a budget dropper post? It will go in a 2000s era hardtail, if that matters.
That old of a bike, I would assume it does not have internal routing. Also most likely it’s 27.2mm seatpost diameter (but not always).

So that is what you are looking for: a 27.2, external routed dropper.

Also measure seatpost extension from collar to rails, to make sure it fits.

chainreactioncycles often has good deals on their house brand posts
tranzX also sells direct to consumer now. And they are available from retailers. Note that they offer both air and coil versions, so make sure you are comparing prices in the same model.

I have used both those super cheap posts just fine.

next question is what remote you want. Do you run a front derailleur or did you convert the bike to 1x?
If 1x, get the cheapest under bar remote you can find that’s compatible with your post (most posts have the cable head in the post and pinch the cable at the remote, but not all).

If it’s still 2x or 3x, you will need to decide where and how to run the remote. Most are designed to fit on the left.
Personally, I used to run it on the right.
My thinking was that: if I was using the dropper, it meant the trail had switched from uphill to downhill or vice versa. In that case, I also needed to shift the front derailleur, so I wanted to do the dropper with my right hand.
You might be able to run an (included) under bar remote “upside down” on the right side.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
XLC are TranzX, no?

$135 including remote.

I put this on a kids bike in the past. Worked fine.

What's the minimum saddle to clamp distance on that one? I gather it doesn't need too much seat tube below that.

Sponsor

Staff online