• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Building a truck bed shell

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've started the process of building a truck bed shell to protect my gear while traveling. The primary goal is to hold my bike(s) and skis while I travel around the country. I intend to have a travel trailer (A-frame or an old school tear-drop) so my cap isn't going to be an RV, but a shell.

That said, I do plan to be able to sleep in it for short periods of time without the need to haul the trailer. It is going to be hard sided, although not necessarily insulated. It will have a pop-top a la Westfalia with solid walls that fold up like an A-frame trailer. I'll be able to sleep under the raised roof in a bunk but also on the truck bed floor when stealth is required. When I'm traveling without a trailer, I'll be able to camp in the truck but it will be minimalistic.

Design considerations:
  • light weight (relative to an RV slide-in) - it will be about 200 pounds when done. I want to be able to drive to remote locations.
  • hold bikes upright with wheels on
  • hold a small fleet of skis up to 220 cm
  • be able to lie down in and sleep
  • fit in garage on the truck - I have 8 foot doors so that wasn't a big challenge, but I need to allow for solar panels on the roof, too. Lengthwise, it will fit with a couple feet to spare. That couple of feet is currently occupied by a workbench, though. When I'm not travelling, I'll be able to remove the bolt-on section (see below), lift the tail gate and walk around behind the truck.
  • can be stored in the garage and leave space to park the truck - I will rig a pulley and winch system to lift it up and suspend it from the ceiling
  • aerodynamics - I didn't want it wider than the truck to create a smaller head on profile. I'll add some fairing in front of the cab overhang section.
This is a profile of what I'm building made from cardboard. I needed to get a realistic idea of size as my skills at converting ideas into life-size scale are weak.

IMG_1505.JPG

The overhang at the back is no further than the tailgate, 1 1/2 feet beyond the bed; parallax is at play in this image. It is 10 feet long overall. Overall it will be 35 inches tall from truck rail to edge of the roof. The undercut at the rear is deliberate and will give me the walk-around space in the garage when the bolt-on section is removed.

The sides are 3/4" AC exterior plywood, the bulkheads (perpendicular to the sides) will be 1/2 AC exterior. The sides will be reinforced with 1 1/4" steel angle with 10 carriage bolts per side. This will help keep the sides straight, strengthen the over cab section, provide part of the support for the raised bunk and help with attaching the 'floor' of the over cab section.

The back end will have two modes. The first will use the tail gate and a recycled capper back window to operate in the usual way. This results in an enclosed space utilizing just the 5 foot bed. The roof section overhang is 1 1/2 feet. In the second mode, I'll create a bolt-on (not a slide-out) that will enclosed the area over the tailgate making a 6 1/2 foot floor; long enough to sleep in without going diagonal, which isn't sufficient for a 6 footer anyway. Access to the bunk will be from the inside and from an entrance in the rear fold-up wall if desired. Steps will be required for the latter.

The cab overhang allows for better space above the berth when the top is raised without having to a) raise both end of the roof (a logistics issue) or b) have the raised end ridiculously high. I used trigonometry (actually an online right triangle calculator) to figure out the best compromise between length and height of the overhang and sides. The cab overhang is 12" high and when raised about 3 feet at the back will allow over 18" of space for my feet and much more, of course, for the rest of me. The apparent gap between the cab and the overhang is less than it appears in this image. Parallax again. I'm only going to store lightweight items over the cab; bedding for the most part.

The sides will be vertical (90 degrees) for simplicity of construction and to maximize interior space. The width of the shell will be the same as the width of the bed, including the rails: 60 inches.

The roof will be slightly convex and fabricated from 1/4 inch AC exterior plywood. I want to be sure moisture will shed and for it to be light.

Once I came up with the dimensions, the first problem was finding materials locally that would be exterior grade and long enough to make the sides from one piece of stock. I could get marine grade plywood in 10 foot lengths but shipping/transport was prohibitively expensive. The lumber yard in Breck couldn't provide the sizes I wanted in exterior grade without requiring me to buy a pallet of it, so that was out. I found yard in Denver that stocked 4x8 AC exterior which is great except it is 8 feet long instead of 10, so I resolved to cut off a 12 1/2" section off a 4x8 and scarf 2 feet onto the overhang to make it 10 feet long.

IMG_20200816_112732738_HDR.jpg

The first cut. I was pretty tentative until I got that done. Lumber isn't cheap. That is a $75 dollar sheet.

IMG_20200816_143935385.jpg

After cutting out the rectangle for the cab, I placed a section the 8 foot piece over the overhang section and removed the material from both pieces to create the scarf joint. This picture shows the two pieces clamped together. Basically you create triangle voices that when flipped and matched, result in a joint that is nearly as strong as the original material. By making them at the same time you insure that the angles will match.

IMG_20200816_172345286_HDR.jpg

The two pieces being dry fit illustrating how they mate up.

IMG_20200822_161148563.jpg

The pieces coated with epoxy.

IMG_20200822_162609215_HDR.jpg

Flipped (with epoxy applied) and clamped. They are clamped onto a 2x12 with pieces going across the top to press the edges of the joint together.

IMG_20200823_112450372.jpg

This is the joint after sanding away epoxy that was squeezed out. I deliberately made the scarfed section a bit wider than needed so I could cut the completed side to size. I wanted to be sure the extension was wide enough. Going slightly oversize allowed for small deviations in the fit of the joint to still provide the necessary dimensions.

IMG_20200824_114752172.jpg

The completed joints. The panels are rough sized. I still need to trim them to the exact dimensions.

I'll be bolting and gluing 2x3s to the bottom edges of the walls and bulkheads. This will provide the contact between the shell and the truck. Rather than c-clamp hold downs on the rails to hold it in place, I am going to use turnbuckles to the tie down points in the truck bed. The connections to the shell will be bolted on steel straps. I have use a similar method, albeit less beefy, to attach the wood rails I used to mount the artificial rain gutters that I mount a Thule rack onto the bed rails.

The next step is to cut the sides to the desired dimensions which is just trimming the top edge a touch and the bottom edge of the overhang. Then I'll cut the 1/2 inch bulkheads and put dados in the sides to accept them. The sides and bulkheads will be attached to each other with epoxy and steel angles with carriage bolts. The visual effect of the carriage bolts will be interesting, I think. A bit steampunk. The bolts and steel angles will certainly keep things together even if the epoxy fails catastrophically. I don't expect that to happen, but I am of the opinion it is better to overbuild.

I'm hoping to have it fully fabricated by mid September as epoxy and painting will require moderately warm temps to be effective. I'm looking forward to sharing the rest of the project's progress with you and hearing your comments. I'm open to suggestions although I have given this years of thought. Methods of construction are still open to change (the dados were a recent addition, for instance).

I welcome your input.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds super cool. I recently saw this trailer in town and am now fascinated by it. It seems like it would be a great fit for what you want to do. https://camp365.com/
This is pretty neat. I haven't seen one before. I'm still looking for trailer designs I like.

It is a little more basic than what I want if I'm going to be actually hauling a trailer. If I'm not going to camp in my shell, I'm going to want heat, standing room, a basic kitchen and a real bed. The real benefit of an a-frame or old school tear-drop is insulation. I plan to be out in the winter chasing snow.

1598306371965.png

The kind of tear-drop I mean. This was mine for a while. It had a layout similar to the A-liner below.

Below is a small A-liner. I don't need much. Light, creature comforts, easy to tow. They are quick to set up and don't have as much windage as a regular trailer.
1598306528136.png

1598306574932.png

Bunk Dinette Two Burner Stovetop Two Skylights Outside Shower Just imagine you and your spouse visiting state parks on weekends or longer with this A-frame camper in tow. Once at your destination, quickly set up, get dressed standing up in the middle, and grab a drink from the 1.9 cu. ft. refrigerator to head out to explore and take pictures of the scenery. The front 30" x 76" bunk and the rear dinette that can convert into a 40" 76" bed offer a comfortable place to sleep at night. You can return to make a meal on the two burner stovetop, or plug in your coffee maker to one of the two electrical outlets. Options are available to customize your camper for your lifestyle such as adding a front soft dormer and 6,000 BTU A/C.

These Ranger A-frame campers by ALiner have a compact size, lightweight, and are easy to tow which will come in very handy for your next adventure to the woods! The windows and skylights provide ample natural lighting and easy access to the weather conditions and views outside. You can cook with the two burner stovetop and store cold items in the 1.9 cu. ft. refrigerator, as well as sleep in each model. You will also find convenient features like the two electrical outlets, the outside shower, and the outdoor baggage door. Whichever unit or layout you choose, the A-frame will last for years of outdoor fun. Begin a new adventure in a Ranger today!
Sleeps: 2
WeightDry: 1225

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the website you can get all your wants. It can have heat, a/c, kitchen, bathroom, shower, beds, standing room, etc. The insulation bit looks interesting. I like the fact that you can get it pretty far off road as well.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Looking at the website you can get all your wants. It can have heat, a/c, kitchen, bathroom, shower, beds, standing room, etc. The insulation bit looks interesting. I like the fact that you can get it pretty far off road as well.
Thanks for that follow up. I looked quickly at just the intro graphic. I'll take a closer look. I like small and light.

Edit: I looked in depth. That is quite impressive. I requested dealer info. Thanks!

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thing are moving along. Lots of cutting, routing and mostly measuring. I don't have to-scale plans so the cardboard in the became a full-scale plan for determining the layout of the bulkheads and other pieces.

Here is a rib in the 'press'. The ribs will support the roof also providing the shape it will take. Two 2" x 63" pieces have epoxy applied to the mating sides to 'prime' the raw wood. A LOT is absorbed in that process. Then another coat is applied to the mating sides and the assembly is put in the press. Kind of like making skis.

IMG_20200902_150534081.jpg

IMG_20200902_150518515.jpg

IMG_20200904_074632324.jpg

Toes for scale

IMG_20200904_074650909.jpg

Today I'll be routing out the right side panel and take pics. I may achieve a dry assembly. I'm hoping to get'er glued up this weekend.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All I can say is Carbon Fibre. You could do the entire structure with Carbon Fibre, the strength and weight savings alone will be the biggest benefits. Wt savings means you can pack more. Strength means you can carry it.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
All I can say is Carbon Fibre. You could do the entire structure with Carbon Fibre, the strength and weight savings alone will be the biggest benefits. Wt savings means you can pack more. Strength means you can carry it.
That falls into the category of 'I love the idea... But...' I don't have the skills. Also building a form to lay up CF would be a project in itself. This will weigh about 200 - 300 lbs.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Lots of good info here, although it looks like @Doug Briggs is on top of the build: https://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/
Thanks. I've been planning this for years and keeping my eye open for ready-made solutions. I've found none that fit my budget, dream or truck.

Here is the side panel, all routed out to accept the bulkheads and 'decks' that close in the overhangs. The rear deck and bulkhead will be removable and I will be building an enclosure for the tailgate area, um..., later.

IMG_20200904_183530762.jpg

Today I am hoping to assemble all the pieces, at least for a dry fit test. I may get it glued up. I'm anxious to get it done before the cold weather (my garage is unheated) but even if I construct it tomorrow, it'll have over 24 hours to cure before the cold weather arrives. Then I'll move onto the roof. Most of the pieces for that are done and ready but will have to wait for 70° days again. Sorry folks, but I'm not really ready for cold and snow.

Yes, that is a stone grinder stone on the floor. I use it as a wheel chock to prevent me from backing too far into the garage. They have a core charge for the metal insert that fills the hole but the stone is refuse.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thing are moving along. Lots of cutting, routing and mostly measuring. I don't have to-scale plans so the cardboard in the became a full-scale plan for determining the layout of the bulkheads and other pieces.

Here is a rib in the 'press'. The ribs will support the roof also providing the shape it will take. Two 2" x 63" pieces have epoxy applied to the mating sides to 'prime' the raw wood. A LOT is absorbed in that process. Then another coat is applied to the mating sides and the assembly is put in the press. Kind of like making skis.

View attachment 109380

View attachment 109381

View attachment 109382
Toes for scale

View attachment 109383

Today I'll be routing out the right side panel and take pics. I may achieve a dry assembly. I'm hoping to get'er glued up this weekend.
Flipcore!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. I've been planning this for years and keeping my eye open for ready-made solutions. I've found none that fit my budget, dream or truck.

Here is the side panel, all routed out to accept the bulkheads and 'decks' that close in the overhangs. The rear deck and bulkhead will be removable and I will be building an enclosure for the tailgate area, um..., later.

View attachment 109467

Today I am hoping to assemble all the pieces, at least for a dry fit test. I may get it glued up. I'm anxious to get it done before the cold weather (my garage is unheated) but even if I construct it tomorrow, it'll have over 24 hours to cure before the cold weather arrives. Then I'll move onto the roof. Most of the pieces for that are done and ready but will have to wait for 70° days again. Sorry folks, but I'm not really ready for cold and snow.

Yes, that is a stone grinder stone on the floor. I use it as a wheel chock to prevent me from backing too far into the garage. They have a core charge for the metal insert that fills the hole but the stone is refuse.

Man, I wish I was out there. I’d love to come by and help or just watch this thing come together.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That falls into the category of 'I love the idea... But...' I don't have the skills. Also building a form to lay up CF would be a project in itself. This will weigh about 200 - 300 lbs.
CF likely 30-50. Build you layout the way you want it then CF it, like Fibreglass just CF. Add a couple of wood support CF in and your done.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had a successful dry build so I started assembling the pieces in earnest. I learned that I need a larger mixing container. While I succeeded in getting things glued up, I found the epoxy in the container had gone past working stage. Epoxy, being exothermic, had kicked much faster in the container than what I had painted out and assembled. The remainder was going to be use to create fillets. I'll be more careful in managing my use and keeping the mixed epoxy cooler by using a larger container that allows the epoxy to spread out and stay cooler.

IMG_20200905_191649886.jpg

Dry fit

IMG_20200905_213644193.jpg

Wet fit

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Man, I wish I was out there. I’d love to come by and help or just watch this thing come together.
I'll bring it by some day. It is part of my 'get out of Dodge' plans to explore the country and visit friends wherever I go. I suspect that friends will be a contributing factor to where I go. :beercheer:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very impressive and bold project.

Some mad skills there @Doug Briggs!

You cannot beat the quality of the A-Liner in the small, collapsible trailer world.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Way cool. I love working with wood and this is a cool project. Keep it up.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Way cool. I love working with wood and this is a cool project. Keep it up.
Thanks.

The main shell is all glued up. All I need is a roof! ;-)

IMG_20200907_075029099.jpg

While I wait for the return to warmer weather when I can resume using epoxy, I'm working on the system to hang the shell from the ceiling for removal from the truck. I don't expect to do this often. Right now it weighs 160 pounds. Probably 40 pounds of that weight are the 10 foot steel angles I used to keep the sides straight and to stiffen the rig. The roof will be mostly 1/4 inch plywood so I'm not expecting to add more than 20 - 30 pounds. Eyebolts will replace a couple of the 10 carriage bolts on each side to provide lift attachment points to 4 wire ropes strung through pulleys to a single haul rope and winch. Pictures to follow.

Sponsor

Staff online