• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Building a truck bed shell

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
More progress to report.

IMG_20210808_103354_DRO.jpg

Dry fit.

IMG_20210808_121314_DRO.jpg

The tailgate/walls assembly served well in the assembly process. Most of the gaps will be taken up by the fiberglass wrap so I'll need to micro-adjust width and height to allow for that loss.

The frames for the door panels came out nicely. Most importantly, they are square. :) They are 1/2" and will sit flush with the back wall. 1/4" panels will be glued in and the doors hung. The entire back wall and doors will be glassed and then fixed windows added.

IMG_20210810_074838_DRO.jpg

The hinges arrived. They are what the site said they would be but in real life they seem more burly than I expected. Put in place, they don't look inappropriate, I think. I sized up rather than down so that they are going to be bomber. I can quickly remove the doors by opening them and lifting them up off the pintles thus allowing for large loads to be carried without needing to remove the shell. I'll reinforce the panels on the inside to accept the hinge fasteners.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Recently I’ve started playing TIG welding, Aluminum frame, skin with wood veneer, light yet strong, no warping or the dreaded sagging.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Recently I’ve started playing TIG welding, Aluminum frame, skin with wood veneer, light yet strong, no warping or the dreaded sagging.
Look up 'foamie trailers'. That might be my next project.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Progress has resumed with glass being applied to the door panels and extension.
IMG_20210909_095809_DRO.jpg

Learning how to handle fabric makes this work easier.

IMG_20210909_150338_DRO.jpg

Some glass applied today. Tomorrow other sections of the extension will be glassed. That is followed by more epoxy to smooth it out. Paint follows. Then windows, lights (stop and turn as well as interior LEDs) and other wiring, hinges and lock bars. I'm looking forward to camping in the truck, later this month I hope. I have a number of ideas for lights, berthing and galley. Minimalism is my mantra.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The exterior is done! Now just some finishing touches inside, 12v from truck for LED light, USB ports and deciding how to build a berth. I'll experiment with various options as I put it to use.

IMG_20210925_100000_DRO_1.jpg

The door handles are off 90° due to my ordering a pair with matched keys. One opens clockwise, one counter clockwise. Live and learn. I'll get another clockwise one and have a locksmith friend move the core from the CC to the C. The tail lights were needed since you can't see the trucks lights. The lights over the doors are turn, brake and running lights in addition to the ones beside the doors.

IMG_20210925_100005_DRO.jpg

Installing the tempered glass was hard work without the proper tool (too much $ for a single use) but very much what I wanted. Light smoke tint keeps prying eyes out.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The exterior is done! Now just some finishing touches inside, 12v from truck for LED light, USB ports and deciding how to build a berth. I'll experiment with various options as I put it to use.
I have a Froli bed box spring system in my truck camper and recommend it highly. I don't bottom out on my RV mattress and it allows air flow under the mattress, crucial at preventing condensation and resulting mold under a mattress, especially in an RV in winter.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have a Froli bed box spring system in my truck camper and recommend it highly. I don't bottom out on my RV mattress and it allows air flow under the mattress, crucial at preventing condensation and resulting mold under a mattress, especially in an RV in winter.
Thanks for that info. This rig is more for toy and gear transport than comfort while camping. I'll store your suggestion for the next build I do. It'll be a trailer and comfort *would* be the thing.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Woohoo! I got the truck shell out for it's maiden voyage. More general details here: Mt Biking 2021.

The shell itself stood up to a night of rain, unseen speed humps, rough 4x4 roads and 2 nights of actual use.

IMG_20211008_134042_DRO.jpg

My 'dressing' room for changing into and out of bike clothes.

IMG_2266.JPG

Along Cottonwood Pass

IMG_20211008_170651_DRO.jpg

First campsite
IMG_20211008_192446_DRO.jpg

A view from my berth.

IMG_2280.JPG

Drone footage. Just kidding. I climbed on the rocks bordering my campsite. I used two ratchet straps (one each side from the latch to the bumper) to insure that the wind couldn't lift the roof. It was blowing 15 sustained most of Saturday. The truck didn't move and the roof was completely secure.

IMG_20211009_143829_DRO.jpg

IMG_20211009_172530_HDR.jpg

My truck is a speck in the center of the right third of the photo.

Hartman Rocks was a great place to start out. I visited friends in C.B. on the way. I had a very loose configuration of bins and plywood for berths in the shell. Having spent real time camping in it, I'll solidify some of the ideas I have and incorporate those into the shell. Everything will be modular and removeable. This will let me keep the weight down and change the configuration as my needs change; traveling to bike vs traveling to ski, for instance.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
How much does the shell weigh?
I had it weighed on a set of commercial scales. It came in at 360 pounds. I had to adjust for a full vs half full tank and some gear I had onboard when the shell was on. The only other thing that will be added to the shell, that won't be removed when the shell comes off, is a solar panel. The controller and battery will be separate from the shell as will the berth and any additional infrastructure. Everything will be added with quick removal in mind, so attachments will be removeable pin hinges, machine screws and inserts, tied or lashed in place.

The intent is that I can easily and quickly off load stuff at a camp site during fair weather as well as transition between seasons and uses. Nothing will be 'built in' in a traditional sense. It truly is a shell. In hind sight I could have used 1/2 instead of 3/4 inch for the side walls. That'd save maybe 50 pounds. It might get lighter when I cut out a rectangle of 1/2 plywood 36 x 18 inches and fill it with an awning style, plexiglass window.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Okay. I have an open call for people that have experience with the inexpensive diesel cab heaters that are the rage now. Some people say you have to mount them outside, yet all the videos show mounts inside. I'm contemplating the all-in-one unit with external runs for the exhaust and combustion air. Seems like just the thing. Simple to install, simple to remove when not needed. Actually more practical for placement in the red case than as separate components that need plumbing and installation that would require enclosures.

This is the unit I'm considering. The exhaust and combustion intake would go right through the 'tailgate' of the shell and be behind the bumper. I can envision wanting to remove them while in transit, but that is a 2 minute job with a nut driver.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no direct experience with diesel heaters but have watched lots of YouTube vids about them as I have considered adding one to my truck camper.

One concern is durability. How long wil these cheap Chinese heaters last? No one really knows because they have not been on the market for very long. OTOH the more expensive Espar and other non Chinese heater long lasting brands cost about 10x more than the Chinese heaters.

The pump on the Chinese heaters is loud. I'm not sure about the noise of the expensive heater pumps. Simon of The Foresty Forest Youtube channel has found a guy who builds quiet fuel pumps.

Some find the smell of diesel when the tank is in the camper, to be less than desirable, others not so much.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have no direct experience with diesel heaters but have watched lots of YouTube vids about them as I have considered adding one to my truck camper.

One concern is durability. How long wil these cheap Chinese heaters last? No one really knows because they have not been on the market for very long. OTOH the more expensive Espar and other non Chinese heater long lasting brands cost about 10x more than the Chinese heaters.

The pump on the Chinese heaters is loud. I'm not sure about the noise of the expensive heater pumps. Simon of The Foresty Forest Youtube channel has found a guy who builds quiet fuel pumps.

Some find the smell of diesel when the tank is in the camper, to be less than desirable, others not so much.
Thanks.

This page?
1633972613083.png

Not being a member I can't see the content so I couldn't tell for sure if this is what you meant.

I'm optimistic that as long as I'm careful with the fuel, I won't be smelling it. Is that unrealistic?

I'm aware of the pumps but some reviews have said it could barely be heard over the combustion noise. I plan to heat when I'm up, and set a timer to heat before I get out of bed so noise is secondary, I think. Without drilling large holes in the truck bed, I can't realistically mount anything outdoors. I could run the self contained unit outdoors with holes in the tailgate for the supply and return but I think I'd rather smaller holes for exhaust and combustion air. I have a while to figure this out as I don't envision any extensive winter camping this year. Also, I could start with it inside and then move it outside and just enlarge the holes.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks.

This page? View attachment 144656
Not being a member I can't see the content so I couldn't tell for sure if this is what you meant.

I'm optimistic that as long as I'm careful with the fuel, I won't be smelling it. Is that unrealistic?

I'm aware of the pumps but some reviews have said it could barely be heard over the combustion noise. I plan to heat when I'm up, and set a timer to heat before I get out of bed so noise is secondary, I think. Without drilling large holes in the truck bed, I can't realistically mount anything outdoors. I could run the self contained unit outdoors with holes in the tailgate for the supply and return but I think I'd rather smaller holes for exhaust and combustion air. I have a while to figure this out as I don't envision any extensive winter camping this year. Also, I could start with it inside and then move it outside and just enlarge the holes.

That's the guy. His new quiet pump was installed/reviewed in a video a month or two ago, I think. But I sub him on YouTube, not Facebook. Also on YouTube, Slim Potatohead set up self contained Chinese diesel heater outside a trailer with a heat duct going into the trailer. He was one who couldn't tolerate the diesel smell. I think this vid was a year ago, but???

Meanwhile, Foresty Forest has amazing drone mountain video footage from atop the mountains he climbs. He sometimes uses the drone view to scout a hiking route in real time.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That's the guy. His new quiet pump was installed/reviewed in a video a month or two ago, I think. But I sub him on YouTube, not Facebook. Also on YouTube, Slim Potatohead set up self contained Chinese diesel heater outside a trailer with a heat duct going into the trailer. He was one who couldn't tolerate the diesel smell. I think this vid was a year ago, but???

Meanwhile, Foresty Forest has amazing drone mountain video footage from atop the mountains he climbs. He sometimes uses the drone view to scout a hiking route in real time.
Silly me. I meant to go to YouTube. No need to join there. ;-)

I've seen Slim Potatohead's vid. He doesn't seem to go to places where you have to worry about wind and snow simultaneously. I wonder if sucking in 0° weather would allow the heater to keep up.

I also think of Rinnai heaters and they are self-contained, including the fuel, with outdoor exhaust and combustion air. Hmmm.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember that a diesel heater is a better package with diesel fuel for the truck. It is, obviously, a second fuel supply when you are a gas truck. You can only heat as long as your fuel supply lasts, 36gals heats a bunch longer than, what, 1 or 2 gallons?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember that a diesel heater is a better package with diesel fuel for the truck. It is, obviously, a second fuel supply when you are a gas truck. You can only heat as long as your fuel supply lasts, 36gals heats a bunch longer than, what, 1 or 2 gallons?

The Chinese heaters also have gasoline burning versions but tapping into the trucks fuel tank doesn't work if you want a portable, removable heater.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, multiple fuels becomes an issue. My stove would be propane, so that would make three fuels.
The Chinese heaters also have gasoline burning versions but tapping into the trucks fuel tank doesn't work if you want a portable, removable heater.
Gasoline burning versions aren't rated to the same elevations as the diesel ones. A $2K Webasto is rated to 2500 m while a cheap diesel goes to 5000 m. Portability is less important, with the cost of cheap diesel heaters I could get one for the shell, one for a trailer.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I just took another look at gasoline heaters. Espar / Eberspacher has a new unit on preorder:
Brand new petrol heater from Espar / Eberspacher - 2kW ! first time in a long time 2kW option has been released by Eberspacher / Espar. Smallest 2kw and the most powerful 12V van heater offers versatility and optimized heating control, even in extreme conditions. It is suitable for use at high altitudes (up to 18,000 feet / 5.5 kilometers) with no need for an additional high altitude kit. It can operate in temperatures as low as -46°C / -50°F.
Now that is worth the high price. A leader in the parking heater business, not a knock-off, with excellent performance specs.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes, multiple fuels becomes an issue. My stove would be propane, so that would make three fuels.

Gasoline burning versions aren't rated to the same elevations as the diesel ones. A $2K Webasto is rated to 2500 m while a cheap diesel goes to 5000 m. Portability is less important, with the cost of cheap diesel heaters I could get one for the shell, one for a trailer.
Why not heat with propane? The stove is already propane. Is it ok at 10,000ft?

Those guys -Ebers and Webasto, used to make engine heaters too- circulates the coolant and heats it. Then they run the fan to heat the car/cab. Has phone remote. Prob still make them.