• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Building a truck bed shell

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs ….. Anything new. I'm really interested in seeing what it looks like when you do the final finish on the inside.
Nothing new yet on the inside. It is functional for my requirements for the winter and I've run out of mild temps to sand and urethane the inside. I'll roll it outside and pop the top and take some pics soon to show how it all works.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Nothing new yet on the inside. It is functional for my requirements for the winter and I've run out of mild temps to sand and urethane the inside. I'll roll it outside and pop the top and take some pics soon to show how it all works.
Looking forward to seeing them, I'm really interested to see how you do the side panels and how they store when its not open.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Look nice @Doug Briggs. Stryofoam insulation on the inside have any usefulness for you?
Insulation isn't that important in the grand scheme. I'm not going camping this winter for various reasons, primarily CV19. Primarily the reason for not insulating is the need for covering it to prevent damage to the insulation and for fire safety reasons. If I do camp in the truck in the winter, my camp stove while awake and a 0° down bag when I'm not should keep me comfortable.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry about the lack of clarity. It is hard to get a good interior shot while it is closed.
IMG_1861.JPG

The back wall sits on top of the side walls which are supported by a removable cross piece.

IMG_1860.JPG

Hopefully this shot helps you understand the first shot. The curved plywood is an arch supporting the roof. The edge below that is the bottom edge of the rear wall. The pieces under the side walls are under the rear wall and supported by a removable piece of wood to hold all three walls up and out of the way.

IMG_1859.JPG

Looking forward with the top up, side walls down.

IMG_1858.JPG

Rear wall up, side walls down.

IMG_1857.JPG

Rear wall up, side walls up.

IMG_1856.JPG

Looking forward, all walls up.

IMG_1855.JPG

Looking at one of the corners where the rear wall and side wall meet up. I still need to add the toggles to hold the side walls securely in place.

Sorry about the focus.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have determined I have about a 15% loss in mileage so am thinking in earnest about some fairing/deflectors.

I don't want to put a roof rack on just to hold a deflector so I'm trying to come up with ideas for a fiberglass fairing that will mount directly to the front of the shell. I don't envision the fairing integrating directly to the truck as the bed and shell will move a bit.

I have two basic ideas in mind. One (plan A) more contoured to match the windshield angle, but set back enough to not catch wind underneath. The other (plan B) would be more of a sausage cut in half. Both would have compound curves. I'm slightly concerned that if I go with plan A there might be a chance wind would catch under it and tear it off. I don't know exactly how low the airflow over the cab would be.

Plan A would seem to be more effective as it would start below the main flow of air coming off the windshield. Plan B would simply be a rounded surface instead of the current flat one. I'm game to build a mold for either and looking for ideas on how to do so. Carving foam and coating with a release material to layup fiberglass directly on the mold would seem to give me the best options for shape. Other thoughts that come to mind is building a frame with the overall shape then bending some plastic material or perhaps wacky wood to create a structure that, again, I would coat with release material and layup the glass.

In the end, I am aiming at a fiberglass construction with minimal internal frame (if any) that I could then bolt to L brackets that in turn bolt to the front of the shell.

Any thoughts on the overall shapes effectiveness Plan A, Plan B or other suggestions would be appreciated. I'd also like to draw on your experience on building a mold that would allow for the greatest flexibility of shape providing compound curves.

Finally, should this just be a deflector ala Thule deflectors that are a simple, basically flat piece of material that forces the wind up? Or an enclosed form so that it is more of an extension of the shell?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

IMG_20210208_135313785.jpg

Top view to show existing location of shell with relation to the cab and windshield.

IMG_20210208_134028792.jpg

Plan A is an enclosed rounded wedge, Plan B is an enclosed half-sausage.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have you considered installing a rubber sweep on the bottom edge that would touch the roof of the truck cab to close the the air flow through there? Door sweep seals or something else as high tech.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Have you considered installing a rubber sweep on the bottom edge that would touch the roof of the truck cab to close the the air flow through there? Door sweep seals or something else as high tech.
Yes, as part of Plan A, that would work. I'd probably need to fill in a space of up to 1.5" as I am know that off road, the bed and therefore the shell can move considerably. The spacing between the shell and the cab is about 1.5"

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
When I use to tow my 5th wheel trailer I had a fibre glass fairing that was attached to an aluminum frame that had suction cups and rain gutter straps for the roof of my truck. I don't really know how effective it was or wasn't. Guess I'm not much help.

I did make a fibre glass raised roof for an Ford Econoline van back in the early 70s. 1/2" Plywood ribs and solid plywood end pieces and 1x2 stringers to make a frame. Then attached 1/8" paneling, stapled fibre glass cloth in place and then applied fibre glass resin. Ended up strong and light.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
it'd be cool if you could build up a small model, run a fan with some smoke stream over to get a feel for airflow prior to building up a nose. suspect the low nose will perform better though.

Ebay Tundra Model Link

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, as part of Plan A, that would work. I'd probably need to fill in a space of up to 1.5" as I am know that off road, the bed and therefore the shell can move considerably. The spacing between the shell and the cab is about 1.5"
Consider a thule/yak deflector mounted on the roof of the truck just in front of the cab.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice article on airflow over tractor trailers ... maybe some application for the sides where the back of your topper extends out past your truck sides?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
it'd be cool if you could build up a small model, run a fan with some smoke stream over to get a feel for airflow prior to building up a nose. suspect the low nose will perform better though.
Ebay Tundra Model Link

Yarn tufts and dirty road residue are your very good friends.

I suspect some aero gains might actually be made along the sides of the truck - and yarn tuft video rules for when/if you want to get into THAT.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have some road grime on the front of the box now. I'll take a picture and post it. I'm interested in feedback on what it could reveal.

Yarn tufts. Good idea. How do I get video of the yarn on the roof of the cab, though? I'll need to borrow someones GoPro for that.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this guy available?

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Is this guy available?

'Call the police!' :doh:

He's lucky to be alive. If the trucker had succeeded in making him fall off... :geek:

I don't think I'll take that approach for my 'wind tunnel test'.

Sponsor