• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Building ski storage that looks good

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Hi all,

With summer here I'd like to build a ski storage solution. This will go in a corner of my living room, so it has to look decent. Also needs to not be a pain to access during winter. Thinking vertical storage as my skis aren't showpieces, perhaps a 3x2 box base on the floor. Ski closet to hide it all away? Any thoughts on attractive ski storage solutions?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have always thought standing skis vertically with their tails resting on the ground to "unload" them is the way to go. I do use ski straps and I spread them by hand in the middle to set the brakes in "max camber" separation position. Hanging them from their tips or even from the bindings will create stress, that over a long time could be an issue.

I do like Phil's wall rack, as it keeps them from falling over. I put mine on the back side of an unfinished wall and use the 2x4 studs to keep them from falling over. I do question if you kept a ski for 10 years, would hanging their weight by the binding effect them. I would speculate it could, but I don't have any evidence to back that up.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
1622318073665.png
We use the buttons and it works great.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was pondering suggesting using the buttons for the skis to mount high in pantry like structure .. where you can hang the poles on the doors inside, have a top shelf for helmets/gloves, bottom shelf for boots, side fan to pull air through the cabinet to keep dry. Set the fan low to blow out and suck warmer high air through the top as not to have the helmets blown over by boot smell. Decor the outside with some older skis or theme.

But then I recalled a favorite idea of mine years back. I was a getting into carpentry and decided it'd be fun to build a coffin for myself. found some nice basic plans for a near "pine box" style. One could order the inside pad and fabric to finish easily as it was mostly wedge fit in. The nice thing was you kept the fabric uninstalled and installed binning for wine and stand up the coffin on it's end ... I never built it, my mother in law thought is a bit off.

Maybe you can do something similar with a coffin but for skis!

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I was pondering suggesting using the buttons for the skis to mount high in pantry like structure .. where you can hang the poles on the doors inside, have a top shelf for helmets/gloves, bottom shelf for boots, side fan to pull air through the cabinet to keep dry. Set the fan low to blow out and suck warmer high air through the top as not to have the helmets blown over by boot smell. Decor the outside with some older skis or theme.

But then I recalled a favorite idea of mine years back. I was a getting into carpentry and decided it'd be fun to build a coffin for myself. found some nice basic plans for a near "pine box" style. One could order the inside pad and fabric to finish easily as it was mostly wedge fit in. The nice thing was you kept the fabric uninstalled and installed binning for wine and stand up the coffin on it's end ... I never built it, my mother in law thought is a bit off.

Maybe you can do something similar with a coffin but for skis!
I am going to say something for the first time in my life...”your mother in law was right” :rolleyes:

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
just bought the buttons and wanting to hang them in the guest room closet. just need to get it done.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Hi all,

With summer here I'd like to build a ski storage solution. This will go in a corner of my living room, so it has to look decent. Also needs to not be a pain to access during winter. Thinking vertical storage as my skis aren't showpieces, perhaps a 3x2 box base on the floor. Ski closet to hide it all away? Any thoughts on attractive ski storage solutions?
I just lean mine against the wall, cambered ones with topsheets towards the wall, rockered ones bases towards the wall. It looks great (well most of them do).

It's not a good option if you have pets or small children, who may knock them over. My skis could seriously harm a small child.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
click

how much space did you do in between the buttons?
The Button has the option of buying with a board for mounting that they can be adjusted as you need or add skis. It is an expensive addition but once you see it you could probably replicate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210530-124329_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210530-124329_Gallery.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 62

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the ski buttons as well. Good solution and easy to re-adjust if needed.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If I was putting it in my living room, I would probably build a wide, tall, but narrow structure. Just enough for skis. I would use barn doors as the closure for aesthetic purposes to close it away and use the buttons inside the cabinet to hold the skis. If you are looking for something deeper to hold ski boots as well, just build it deeper. You could always set baskets on the floor in front of the skis to hold gloves, helmets, goggles, etc. or - if the ceiling is high enough - build a shelf above the skis and stick the baskets up there.

It could also be combined with an entertainment unit - most of which are deep enough to house ski boots and come with built in cupboards. Just build 2 ski cabinets on either side of a TV stand/audio unit. The barn doors could slide towards center to pull out the skis and back over to keep them covered while exposing the entertainment equipment.

My point is that I would want to use up as little square footage as possible and keep it aesthetically pleasing.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
If I was putting it in my living room, I would probably build a wide, tall, but narrow structure. Just enough for skis. I would use barn doors as the closure for aesthetic purposes to close it away and use the buttons inside the cabinet to hold the skis. If you are looking for something deeper to hold ski boots as well, just build it deeper. You could always set baskets on the floor in front of the skis to hold gloves, helmets, goggles, etc. or - if the ceiling is high enough - build a shelf above the skis and stick the baskets up there.

It could also be combined with an entertainment unit - most of which are deep enough to house ski boots and come with built in cupboards. Just build 2 ski cabinets on either side of a TV stand/audio unit. The barn doors could slide towards center to pull out the skis and back over to keep them covered while exposing the entertainment equipment.

My point is that I would want to use up as little square footage as possible and keep it aesthetically pleasing.
I have them hanging in my office/ man cave. Its part of the all the ski decorations.

Sponsor

Staff online