• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Building ski storage that looks good

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do people not like horizontal solutions?

I basically did the same as below pic; with track shelving from Homedepot, and metal shelf brackets, then on each bare bracket, I put on foam (pool noodle) to cushion, and then shelf liner I had to add more grip. With hardware store shelving parts; the skis will be flat though and not angled like the products below..
Can fit 2 pairs per shelf (just depends what shelfbracket length you get) (just alternate the binding direction for each shelf), and the track lets you can finetune height if you need.
The skis resting in this horizontal seemed to me to be the most stable solution.
If you don't like the idea of tracked metal shelving, there still are horizontal wood based designs, and seem to either fall into "slotted" or "arms" to make the shelves for the skis to live.
The downside is you can't adjust/finetune the position as easily compared to the track shelving..

If you're more insistent on hiding your skis, the horizontal ideas can also be used to rack your skis tucked away low or under something ; e.g. for example under a sitting bench/shoe rack

Below pics from StoreYourboard.com (I don't necessarily have an opinion on their products , but they had good pics that cover the general horizontal options)

Track :
board_storage_rack_for_snowboards__69741.1475246943.jpg

wood slotted:

newslot5_305ca025-e42d-46ab-9044-7c3646cc3127_1024x10242x__51888.1619730656.jpg

wood using arms:
Timber-Snow-Cover__91286.1594414282.jpg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Since you mentioned 'living room', I store my collection's 'A' list skis inside my living room. I went with traditional 'dowels on a board'.

20180615_175657_Silverthorne Lane.jpg

These skis stay put so ease of access was not of primary concern.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This will go in a corner of my living room, so it has to look decent. Also needs to not be a pain to access during winter. Thinking vertical storage as my skis aren't showpieces, perhaps a 3x2 box base on the floor. Ski closet to hide it all away? Any thoughts on attractive ski storage solutions?
I have them hanging in my office/ man cave. Its part of the all the ski decorations.
To each his own but the OP wanted something attractive for the living room ... hence my suggestion.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do people not like horizontal solutions?

I basically did the same as below pic; with track shelving from Homedepot, and metal shelf brackets, then on each bare bracket, I put on foam (pool noodle) to cushion, and then shelf liner I had to add more grip. With hardware store shelving parts; the skis will be flat though and not angled like the products below..
Can fit 2 pairs per shelf (just depends what shelfbracket length you get) (just alternate the binding direction for each shelf), and the track lets you can finetune height if you need.
The skis resting in this horizontal seemed to me to be the most stable solution.
If you don't like the idea of tracked metal shelving, there still are horizontal wood based designs, and seem to either fall into "slotted" or "arms" to make the shelves for the skis to live.
The downside is you can't adjust/finetune the position as easily compared to the track shelving..

If you're more insistent on hiding your skis, the horizontal ideas can also be used to rack your skis tucked away low or under something ; e.g. for example under a sitting bench/shoe rack

Below pics from StoreYourboard.com (I don't necessarily have an opinion on their products , but they had good pics that cover the general horizontal options)

Track :
board_storage_rack_for_snowboards__69741.1475246943.jpg

wood slotted:

newslot5_305ca025-e42d-46ab-9044-7c3646cc3127_1024x10242x__51888.1619730656.jpg

wood using arms:
Timber-Snow-Cover__91286.1594414282.jpg
We used to hang our skis this way but found they held moisture and dripped on each other.
Not built but bought Storewall. Tl
20210601_085455.jpg
Their new ones work well. The old ones hung by the tips and I didn't like that. (See the granddaughters skis.)
20210601_085440_001.jpg

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Our downstairs guest bedroom closet has been a mess for years. finally able to close the doors without pushing them shut. thanks for the ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 28

Sponsor

Staff online