• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Burly adjustable poles

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Im in the market for a new set of adjustable poles for backcountry use(these wont see much lifts). I destroy poles, so Im willing to carry some extra weight for a stronger pole. I like straps and powder baskets, buts thats about all for my requirements.

recommendations??

thanks
Chris

James

Out There
Instructor
How adjustable? Need to collapse small, or 2 section fine?

splitter

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use the Voile Camlock 3. I find them to be durable. And there’s a snow scraper integrated into the handle, which also makes a nice big platform for kickturns or other precarious skintrack balancing acts.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I destroy poles, so Im willing to carry some extra weight for a stronger pole. I like straps and powder baskets, buts thats about all for my requirements.
Which poles have you destroyed? I'm a BD Traverse fan, too, but if those are what you've destroyed, I've got nothing.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I jumped on those bd traverse poles on outlet, missed the extra 20% off(of course!). Thanks for the recommendations!

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you want burly, go with non-adjustable touring poles. More reliable. Often lighter. Less fiddle factor and less chance of shrinkage at inopportune times. Adjustable poles are nice way for the pole guys to sell more expensive, less durable products that need replacing more often.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have some adjustable hiking poles that should work just fine for skiing. They are heavier duty than my old BD Flicklocks. They are around $25 for a pair and have 3 sections. Just search Amazon for hiking or trekking poles.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
The aluminum Traverses are (a) pretty darn solid and (b) have good parts availability. I've lost and/or broken pieces of BD poles and been able to just order the section I needed from the website rather than ending up being stuck with 3/4 of a pair of poles.

With that said, I generally do prefer non-adjustable poles. The only time I really, really like adjustable is if I end up leaving them attached to my backpack for a while or if I'm touring on tele skis.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I resort ski with Lek Vario (trigger) and have had them for quite a few years. I love being able to change the length depending on if I am skiing mostly groomers or bumps/trees. I have had zero issues - good grief, they will probably die an untimely death now, lol.

I use the LEKI Edge 2 Speedlock (straps) for backcountry; they feel heavier/bulkier than my Vario, but I got them at STP in 2015 for $45, so I couldn't pass on that.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I like straps and powder baskets, buts thats about all for my requirements.

I recommend not using straps in the backcountry; they act like anchors in a avy or fall in deep unconsolidated snow. Also in tight trees if your basket gets caught in the crook of a tree branch, you can dislocate a shoulder if your pole is attached to your wrist.

When I went heli skiing with CMH they wanted all guests to use shorter poles that CMH supplied...all without wrist straps, which was the real reason for having guests ski with CMH poles. ogsmile

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online