• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BUY NOW! New SkiTalk.com BUFF® Neck Gaiter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk member discount code to buy custom BUFF®
BUFF22ST

VOTE FOR ONE - buff.jpeg
We know them and we use them every day: synecdoches - those brand names that define a segment. Google, Q-Tip, Xerox, ChapStick, and of course, BUFF®. BUFF has become a household term from the television show Survivor and the iconic phrase “Drop your Buff!” A brand can only dream of having such notoriety; it is basically winning the marketing Powerball. While the BUFF brand started off as a neck and head protector for BUFF founder Joan Rojas’s cross country motorcycle rides, they have created one of the most popular skiing accessories: Multifunctional Neckwear.

We are always looking for marketing partners that share the same vision in sustainability and just building/offering a damn good product. In our conversations with BUFF, we explored many options on how we can raise their already high place in the snow sports industry and thought there is no better way than to design some all new graphics that reflect SkiTalk.com.

We suggested starting a design contest similar to what we did for GoggleSoc a few years ago, and when Casey Rolig, BUFF’s Communications Manager, asked if we wanted them to create the designs, we said, “No, we gotta guy.” We put Dave Petersen to work and had him come up with 8 designs and we will let you, our readers, choose the winning design with a vote. Folks who pick out the winning design will then get put into a separate drawing and will receive one of the winning BUFF Neck Gaiters along with additional SkiTalk Swag. One Grand Prize Winner will receive a First Edition James Nieheus "Man Behind The Maps" Coffee Table Book plus SkiTalk Swag pack.

Here are Dave’s thoughts on each of the designs.

Inspiration for each BUFF Neckwear design:

A. Sunset Skier
  • Beautiful winter skies never cease to leave their impression on me. I played around with an image of Phil Pugliese in Photoshop to give it this sunset feel...on the trail named Sunset at Mt. Rose.
B. Retro Skis
  • What can I say...I'm a sucker for classic ski topsheet design. I learned to ski as a kid in the mid-1970s so these are the graphics which are near and dear to my heart.
C. Chamonix
  • My wife, son, and I visited Chamonix thirteen years ago. Jaw-dropping best describes the scenery.
D. In the Clouds
  • Another beautiful Chamonix image...this crow circling the legendary Aiguille du midi.
E. SkiTalk Logos
  • I always enjoy creating patterns from simple elements.
F. Tahoe
  • This beautiful weathered tree photo was taken by Tricia Pugliese. I thought it worthy of printing without any embellishment.
G. Colorado
  • Every state, every ski area, has their own signature look. I felt overall this represented Colorado well.
H. Patriotic Powder
  • The past couple years have been CRAZY. If anything it has made me more patriotic. Mix that with a photo of Arapahoe Basin and I'm feeling good.

Please add your thoughts in the comment section as to why you chose the design you did. Happy voting.

Thank you,
SkiTalk Staff.

**10 Winners will be chosen from those who pick the top design and will receive a winning design BUFF® Neck Gaiter along with a SkiTalk swag pack. One Grand Winner will receive a First Edition James Nieheus "Man Behind The Maps" Coffee Table Book plus SkiTalk Swag pack.**

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do NOT VOTE in this thread, Please clink on the VOTE HERE link!

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I voted on the link. Adding my thoughts below...

I like E

It's all brand and it's something someone else would probably stare at a bit to try to understand it. Which is good for marketing. It also is not a photo background of an area where I do not live.

The picture buffs are all very nice and pretty, especially the MT ones. But you end up screening out a bunch of folks who don't live out there.

I like SkiTalk to be location agnostic. And the pattern design is really cool.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I voted on the link. Adding my thoughts below...

I like E

It's all brand and it's something someone else would probably stare at a bit to try to understand it. Which is good for marketing. It also is not a photo background of an area where I do not live.

The picture buffs are all very nice and pretty, especially the MT ones. But you end up screening out a bunch of folks who don't live out there.

I like SkiTalk to be location agnostic. And the pattern design is really cool.
While I get that you don't live in one of the locations, I think the fresh powder tracks or mountain scenes are dreamy.
:)

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I like C, Chamonix, without the giant logo. Keep it subtle. I voted on the poll. I would pick A if it was untracked.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I voted E for branding, though I really like the retro ski one. If it was something that didn't get scrunched up, maybe B or one of the scenery ones. But I'll wear whichever wins!

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
C has a great scene and huge logo; so I went with that.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
F Tahoe picture, for the colors mostly. But I'd have voted for A if it didn't look like the skier was skiing uphill. The only choice with an obvious skier in it.

Sponsor

Staff online