• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Caber Bio Race Boot?

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was listening to an @tomgellie podcast during which he was talking about using a "new and innovative" footbed that has a ridge on the underside allowing the foot to articulate laterally to provide greater pressure to the edges. Anyway.... I recall that my brother had a pair of race boots in the early 80s with a similar feature. I believe they were made by Caber and were called "Bio" or something similar. Two tone blue with a navy lower and medium blue upper.

I can't find any info on the boots. Anyone have any insights?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Might have been the Alpha? Legit WC boot of choice for Stenmark, and others.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
1652924426488.png
1652924527406.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Well what was it doing?
Gotta love the advertising of that era.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
"Similar to the feel of quality Swedish walking clogs."

Oh sure... that's something everyone is familiar with and can relate to. :P

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Was listening to an @tomgellie podcast during which he was talking about using a "new and innovative" footbed that has a ridge on the underside allowing the foot to articulate laterally to provide greater pressure to the edges. Anyway.... I recall that my brother had a pair of race boots in the early 80s with a similar feature. I believe they were made by Caber and were called "Bio" or something similar. Two tone blue with a navy lower and medium blue upper.

I can't find any info on the boots. Anyone have any insights?
I had those.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

It was the late '70s and Carter was still president - so more than you'd think.

Closed-cell EVA foam only got popular for shoes ~10years later and then someone had to invent the Crocs brand name for millenials to know what a S.W.C. is :P

1652964942252.png

Last edited:
TS
wnyskier

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! LOL. Thanks, that would be the boot.

Well what was it doing?

Best as I can recall - and that's through a very murky lens of 40 years of memory - is that the underside of the boot board was shaped into a mild vee shape, think boat keel, with a bias to roll the foot into a slightly supinated position. When you would roll the ankle to the medial side to initiate edging the footboard would roll to enhance pressure along the the big toe side and create a more stacked kinetic chain over the inside edge of the outside ski.

Not sure about the "Swedish clog" reference, but I don't recall a footbed with arch support, it was all done under the footboard.

FWIW - I think he took out the OEM footboard and replaced with a conventional design, possibly from a Garmont Gara, but I could be wrong.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

You had to be there. This was after Earth Shoes and Dr. Scholl's wooden sandals were everywhere.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
What was the date of this add?
I looked hard at Cabers that year and did not buy.

the boot board was convex - a short-lived (innovation ) ;
the claimed cavus position was a subtle modification of what I believe is currently referred to as ramp angle.

Thanks for the memories... skiJ

James

Out There
Instructor
the claimed cavus position was a subtle modification of what I believe is currently referred to as ramp angle.
Ramp angle is just the fore/aft angle of the boot board or zeppa. Think boat ramp.

The whole cavus thing just sounds like a bunch of nonsense frankly.
As far as I see cavus means a foot with a high arch and isn’t desirable.

With that boot it’s necessary to take Dihydrogen Monoxide at least once a day and more over 7,000ft altitude.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
...and did they really put your foot in a climbing slipper type arch pre-load like the ad says? 'Coz -oof.
I was young and clueless. Probably my pair didn't even fit right. Who knows, 40 years later.

FWIW I don't remember that the boot board put your foot in any particular kind of flexed position. It was more like a bongo board that only operated in the medial-lateral plane.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK... so they might have been popular, and I'm not aware... how popular were they? Would it be like talking about Uggs or Crocs today?
Not quite, because there was an alleged tie-in to health and will being with those old shoes.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So did it feel unstable?
Dunno. I was like 20. I ended up deciding that I didn't like the boots, but there could have been lots of reasons for that. I was not well educated about boot fit. Probably very few people were.

Sponsor