• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California recommendations (and questions)

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Multi-tiered questions here, so some background first:
I have a wedding in Tahoe in mid-June. Problem is, I live in Canada which means upon return I'll be subject to a 2 week quarantine... which means if I actually go to CA, I'm making it a multi-week trip and taking full advantage of some south-of-the-border time as I miss my US friends (and yes, I am a US citizen, so actually crossing the border isn't an issue).
So my questions (and sorry if the first seem dumb, but where the US is at right now is very different than up here):
1) What are restrictions/freedoms currently like right now in CA? I'm a rule-abiding person (masks, distancing, all the normal pan-d stuff I take no issue with), but are there restrictions currently limiting inter/intra-state travel, are restaurants open... just want a general idea of what life is like right now in CA. I have my first dose of vaccination (AstraZeneca), but my second dose won't be due until late July when I return home... any businesses/activities restricted to fully vaccinated people?
2) After Tahoe, looking to find somewhere on the CA coast to base out of for a week to just ride my bikes and relax on the beach... but most importantly want a place with some beautiful road & mountain biking options. I'll be driving with road (or gravel) & mtb in tow. I have ZERO knowledge of California coast (grew up on east coast and lived in CO for a long time). I'm hoping there's maybe a smaller town to base out of (was looking at Cayucos? but again, know nothing about CA coast). Really not a fan of city vibes, prefer something mellow. For road riding, love twisty roads and good climbs, not a fan of big open flats... love nothing more than a 50-150km day through pretty places. For mtb'ing... I'm a good mtb'er, just not the dh park-style riding or insanely technical... ie typically fine on blacks, more happy on bluer blacks... and no qualms with climbing, 1000m+ days not an issue. If I have to, I'd prioritize quality of road (or gravel) rides over mtb since I'll likely do more mtb enroute from/to Canada.

Any recommendations you have are very much welcome. I'm traveling solo... budget isn't really a concern, but also not limitless. I'm a relatively low-maintenance lady that can camp out of my car just as easily as I can enjoy the luxuries of a beachside apartment with a mojito in hand, so accommodations are very flexible for me.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can’t speak to the riding part of your question, but CA is opening up quite nicely. Pretty much everything is open to sone capacity and our governor plans for full opening mid June. Plan on having a mask when entering stores or other indoor areas but restaurants are open and Nadia are not needed once you are seated. Hotels, Airbnb, campgrounds, erc are all open... but summer is always super busy so make your reservations early. If camping out of your car, it is legal to stay 8 hrs/day in a rest stop.
Big Sur is a particularly spectacular part if the coastline if looking towards central CA. If looking more north, check out the giant Redwoods along the northernmost coastline as they are amazing.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
You are in luck, because CA is one of the best places to be currently in regard to covid. There will almost certainly still be universal masking. Otherwise, just limited capacity. And if you want to eat, it is CA--the weather is good and outdoor options plentiful.

CHeck out Sebastopol, Healdsburg, and some of the smaller coastal communities of Sonoma County. We have Annadel St Park which is a mountain biking mecca, and many great rides around Lake Sonoma and out along the coast. As for road biking, Levi Leipheimer lives here for a reason and all of the top teams train here at times. Check out "king ridge" and "Levi's grand fondo" if you want to learn more about riding here in Sonoma County.

EDIT: Mt Tamalpais, the birthplace of mountain biking, is also just a short drive south into Marin County.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
By June, CA will be well near the thresholds of anyone who wanted the shot would've gotten it with 70%+ vaccination rates (depending on the political leanings of that local area). So restrictions will pretty much be lifted by that point. I would agree though, still take your mask collection for indoors, just as a matter of respect. I think the outdoors will be a fully maskfree social norm though by June (right now sort of in transition).
If your personal vaccine schedule is so delayed because there is a low supply of vaccine up north and only having AZ, you may be able to just get a vaccine dose in the US, as it will be extremely highly available by then; but you may need to research that more and your mixing of vacccine types. There is no questions about documentation/immigration status to be eligible to get the vaccine.

Are you driving down? or flying in? if you are driving do you consider spreading out your roadtrip and check out oregon and washington; or you want to entirely focus on 1 basecamp in CA? Oregon coast and Washington are just as impressive, if not more impressive

Also, were you wanting to see some more sights? Or really the beach and coast is your calling? Are you solely focused on the riding? Or want to look at some parklands/forestlands/waterfalls etc.
If you want a non-coast suggestion, I would suggest up north, centered around Redding (Lassen National Parks and encircled by surrounding national forest lands) is a good base to see some premier forest and park that isn't as crowded as Tahoe or Yosemite.

If you truly want the stereotypical CA surfer "beach" atmosphere with warm sunny weather everyday, that really is a Southern CA thing: so focus only on SoCal as you've pointed out.

If you got a lot of time, you can pick a few basecamps; of course the pace is up to you.
Airbnb can be affordable, especially if you are going for a more extended stay and staying put...often it's the per-visit "cleaning" fee that pushes the total up compared to other options.

While in general I abhor the influencer lifestyle: , this blogger I think does give do a good job of showing off CA natural sights and might get you more ideas of what you might want to explore. This is more from a hiking/general sightseeing perspective though, versus a biking perspective. Check out the "map" to see the posts and click around a bit.

Last edited:
TS
babanff

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
If your personal vaccine schedule is so delayed because there is a low supply of vaccine up north and only having AZ, you may be able to just get a vaccine dose in the US, as it will be extremely highly available by then.
Already started my vaccines up here so not going to mix unless they come out with guidance that it's ok, only brought that up as I'm not sure if any business/activities are requiring proof of full vaccination yet which would limit my travel abilities.

If you are driving do you consider spreading out your roadtrip and check out oregon and washington; or you want to entirely focus on 1 basecamp in CA? Oregon coast and Washington are just as impressive, if not more impressive

I've already done plenty of travel through OR & WA so not looking to spend more time there on this trip, just looking for CA coast recommendations as that's the region I'm must unfamiliar with and want to explore new places.

Or really the beach and coast is your calling? Are you solely focused on the riding?
Yes and mostly. I will definitely do some sightseeing while driving, but already have a general idea of my destinations. Just looking for recommendations on good coastal destinations with great biking nearby because that's the part I haven't figured out yet. I'm looking to bike by morning/afternoon, and lay in the sand by later-afternoon/evening. Bike-beach-rinse-repeat. I live in the mountains, so quite honestly I have zero need to explore more mountains than I already see in my daily life. Right now I need WARMTH. I want to be able to bike without any cold weather gear shoved in my pockets. Don't necessarily want stereotypical surfer beach, only requirement is sun, sand, ocean. I don't really like the crowded surfer vibe and prefer quieter beaches, but understood if that doesn't even exist anymore... like I said, my only requirement is sun and sand with great bike riding nearby.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Only business activities potentially requesting proof would be like Large Venue gatherings/events:, like sport events stadiums for in-person fans, concerts; themeparks and things of that scale. Even that is also a little fluid and not having proof might not be a disqualifier but they may put you in an unvaccinated vs vaccinated section of the event.

There will not be typically any request for proof of vaccine from your typical small businesses like restaurants/shops etc; but it's up to each shop owner as well.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Multi-tiered questions here, so some background first:
I have a wedding in Tahoe in mid-June. Problem is, I live in Canada which means upon return I'll be subject to a 2 week quarantine... which means if I actually go to CA, I'm making it a multi-week trip and taking full advantage of some south-of-the-border time as I miss my US friends (and yes, I am a US citizen, so actually crossing the border isn't an issue).
So my questions (and sorry if the first seem dumb, but where the US is at right now is very different than up here):
1) What are restrictions/freedoms currently like right now in CA? I'm a rule-abiding person (masks, distancing, all the normal pan-d stuff I take no issue with), but are there restrictions currently limiting inter/intra-state travel, are restaurants open... just want a general idea of what life is like right now in CA. I have my first dose of vaccination (AstraZeneca), but my second dose won't be due until late July when I return home... any businesses/activities restricted to fully vaccinated people?
2) After Tahoe, looking to find somewhere on the CA coast to base out of for a week to just ride my bikes and relax on the beach... but most importantly want a place with some beautiful road & mountain biking options. I'll be driving with road (or gravel) & mtb in tow. I have ZERO knowledge of California coast (grew up on east coast and lived in CO for a long time). I'm hoping there's maybe a smaller town to base out of (was looking at Cayucos? but again, know nothing about CA coast). Really not a fan of city vibes, prefer something mellow. For road riding, love twisty roads and good climbs, not a fan of big open flats... love nothing more than a 50-150km day through pretty places. For mtb'ing... I'm a good mtb'er, just not the dh park-style riding or insanely technical... ie typically fine on blacks, more happy on bluer blacks... and no qualms with climbing, 1000m+ days not an issue. If I have to, I'd prioritize quality of road (or gravel) rides over mtb since I'll likely do more mtb enroute from/to Canada.

Any recommendations you have are very much welcome. I'm traveling solo... budget isn't really a concern, but also not limitless. I'm a relatively low-maintenance lady that can camp out of my car just as easily as I can enjoy the luxuries of a beachside apartment with a mojito in hand, so accommodations are very flexible for me.
First of all, welcome back to the US even if its temporary.

The news today indicates that many of the mandates for masks for individual activities will be long gone by the time you come here. Large groups still in question.

As for information about bike trails along the coast, I'm not a good source of information. Around Tahoe I'm fairly knowledgeable.

If you get a chance, give us a shout while you're in the area.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
SoCal summers have excellent weather but also massive crowds and traffic burdened road biking. Central CA (Santa Barbara to Monterey which includes San Luis Obuspo) will not be warm but will have better road bike opportunities and less traffic. NoCal will be “coldish” and damp until the end of July. It’s all beautiful but very different climates.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
There is no certainty that the land border will be open in a month's time even for a US citizen returning to the US. OR for a US citizen coming back to a home in Canada. Checking with Canada Customs for clarity on the subject of current border crossing protocols is what I would do.

I have heard of Canadian RVers who have shipped their RV via transport company to the US from Canada (land border open to commercial traffic only) and then they fly to the US and pick up the RV and continue their travels.

Once in the US, why not get the second vaccine right away instead of waiting another 2 or 3 months or longer to get the shot in Canada.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
There is no certainty that the land border will be open in a month's time even for a US citizen returning to the US. OR for a US citizen coming back to a home in Canada. Checking with Canada Customs for clarity on the subject of current border crossing protocols is what I would do.

I have heard of Canadian RVers who have shipped their RV via transport company to the US from Canada (land border open to commercial traffic only) and then they fly to the US and pick up the RV and continue their travels.

Once in the US, why not get the second vaccine right away instead of waiting another 2 or 3 months or longer to get the shot in Canada.
We don't have Astrazeneca here and currently authorities are advising against mixing shots.

TS
babanff

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
As a US citizen I am already allowed to enter the US for non-essential travel and I am allowed to reenter Canada without issue as I am a permanent resident (just subject to quarantine)... I assure you I am completely aware of all restrictions, protocols, and allowances in regards to border travel. With my dual status, yes I am allowed across both directions, no issues. It has actually been this way the entire time the border has been “closed”.

TS
babanff

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
FYI, so far CA has not disappointed. Santa Barbara area has checked the boxes of bike by morning, beach by afternoon (and some stellar road riding here btw). Tomorrow creeping northward slowly. Hoping to hit Nacimiento road, another Big Sur ride or two, Mt Tam (kind of have to), then northward towards Sonoma and Mendocino. Also if any of you road bikers are looking for an epically memorable ride, climb the Generals Hwy in Sequoia… 2200m of utterly amazing climbing amongst insane trees… would have loved to loop it with Kings Canyon for the full 3300+ of climbing, but wasn’t feeling the valley bottom connector in 110F heat.

And forgot to mention… loved mtb’ing the Donner Lake Rim Trail and the other little loops it connected to… would have loved to hit the flume(?), but not enough time.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, so far CA has not disappointed. Santa Barbara area has checked the boxes of bike by morning, beach by afternoon (and some stellar road riding here btw). Tomorrow creeping northward slowly. Hoping to hit Nacimiento road, another Big Sur ride or two, Mt Tam (kind of have to), then northward towards Sonoma and Mendocino. Also if any of you road bikers are looking for an epically memorable ride, climb the Generals Hwy in Sequoia… 2200m of utterly amazing climbing amongst insane trees… would have loved to loop it with Kings Canyon for the full 3300+ of climbing, but wasn’t feeling the valley bottom connector in 110F heat.

And forgot to mention… loved mtb’ing the Donner Lake Rim Trail and the other little loops it connected to… would have loved to hit the flume(?), but not enough time.
We want some scenery photos!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

There's still time. :D

TS
babanff

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
So finally back home to Canada last Monday (and didn't have to quarantine, woo hoo!), and figure I'd add a summary of my rides in case anyone ever is looking for recommendations in these areas. California did not disappoint, amazing road biking and perfect weather the entire time. I'm astounded how insanely quiet every road was... aside from Hwy 1, barely saw any cars or other riders the entire time. Neglected my mtb for most of the trip because the roads were just too good. Ride log in order of timeline (distance & elevation gain included):
  • Schweitzer, ID Upper/Lower valley trails (mountain bike) - 24km/15mi, 677m/2,221ft - super fun flowy trails, def need to explore Sandpoint again
  • Donner Lake Rim (mountain bike) - 32km/20mi, 780m/2,560ft- I love mountain bike trails like these... alpine terrain, natural (ie no manmade stuff). Great views, wildflowers and a close encounter with a black bear. Mellow climbing with a ripping fun descent.
  • Yosemite Valley - 10km/6mi, ??m - Dawdling site-see spin before the real rides begin. Luckily the route to get south went right through Yosemite so I cruised around and took photos on a beautiful hot night.
  • Sequoia NP General's Highway - 83km/52mi, 2,218m/7,278ft - Epic ride. Awesome big climb followed by magical road through massive sequoia forests. I looove big trees, and the giant sequoias are surreal in every sense. Every serious road biker should do this one. Super fun descent, despite my freehub blowing up at the top.
  • St Ynez Valley wine country - 86km/53mi, 890m/2,917ft - great bucolic cruise through wine country roads outside of Solvang. Lovely, relaxing, and there was wine.
  • Gibraltar Road, Santa Barbara - 47km/29mi, 1,455m/4,773ft - Awesome big ass climb (was part of the ToC), beautiful views of the ocean, virtually empty road, ripping fun luge track descent.
  • Santa Barb Bike to Beach to Bike to Beach and so on - 46km/29mi, 323m/1,058ft - rest day biking from beach to beach around Santa Barbara trying to blend the bike short tan lines.
  • Cambria-Big Sur return - 111km/69mi, 1,336/4,383ft - Stunning, even with the pummeling headwind to start (122lb solo female on a bike that weighs as much as a paperclip vs sustained 40kph headwinds = I earned my lunch). And I saw zebras and seals.
  • Big Sur northern end - 100km/62mi, 1,743m/5,718ft - Even more stunning. Intended to start with Nacimiento-Ferguson climb, but it was closed due to fires. Would love to go back and climb that road.
  • Santa Cruz rural cruise - 33km/20mi, 538m/1,766ft - Lovely twisty quiet rural roads outside of Santa Cruz, nice little ride before laying on a beach.
  • Mt Tam outside of SF - 92km/57mi, 1,611m/5,284ft - it's my name, of course I had to ride it. Awesome climb, super lovely twisty skinny road, saw exactly 2 other bikers and 1 car on the entirety of the climb. One of my favourite descents. Ended with a spin over the Golden Gate bridge because it was there.
  • Sweetwater Springs to redwoods to vineyards, Sonoma County - 105km/65mi, 1,014m/3,327ft - @skibob wasn't kidding, Sonoma County has amazing road riding. Sweetwater is an awesome skinny twisty road where it's just you and serene forest, the only other lifeform I saw were cows... a short but stout climb, with a 1/4mile sustained 15-18% section, stomping on your pedals kind of climb. Then cruised backroads amongst redwoods, followed by vineyard cruising.
  • Pine Flat Road, Sonoma Cty - 39km/24mi, 1,051m/3,414ft - Honker of a climb, but very fun. Twisty little road completely devoid of existence - the only people I saw the entire time were a random construction crew, other than that, no people, no bikes, no cars, just me and an awesome climb. Super fun luge of a descent.
  • Crater Laker Rim - 59km/37mi, 1,304m/4,279ft - beautiful (duh, it's Crater Lake), absolutely great ride but honestly after the rides Ieading up to this, this didn't top the list
  • Bend, OR, Tiddilywinks/Funner loops (mountain bike) - 36km/23mi, 760m/2,491ft - Bend trails are a hoot... fun machine made berm & jump sections, felt like I was descending forever but barely any climbing! Sign of well-built trails.
  • Fernan and Hayden Lake, Coeur D'Alene, ID - 108km/67mi, 1,428m/4,684ft - lovely ride, my legs were pretty over it by 90km, up-down-up-down lakeshore riding is exhausting. CDA is... interesting.
  • And then homeward bound.
Total Distance/Climbing = 1,011km/628mi, 17,128m/56,194ft

I pretty much rode for 16 out of 17 days, and on rest days or in the evenings I'd get in some nice hikes or walks around the towns.
The best way to see places like these is aboard a road bike, seriously... you really get to experience these places at a different level.

If I every go back I'd go to Sonoma Cty in a heartbeat. Intended to explore northern coastal region (Mendocino and northward), but ran out of time and I was loving the dry sunny weather of the inland too much. Also was intrigued by Anthony Lakes/La Grande, OR area on the drive down... there must be some good riding there.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been following your pics and this is a great summary. So glad you had a great trip! I’m just sorry our time in Bend didn’t crossover.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What a great vacation!

Sweetwater Springs to redwoods to vineyards, Sonoma County - 105km/65mi, 1,014m/3,327ft - @skibob wasn't kidding, Sonoma County has amazing road riding. Sweetwater is an awesome skinny twisty road where it's just you and serene forest, the only other lifeform I saw were cows... a short but stout climb, with a 1/4mile sustained 15-18% section, stomping on your pedals kind of climb. Then cruised backroads amongst redwoods, followed by vineyard cruising.
I love this ride. The descent down to Guerneville can be a little rough. And you're right, there's tons of backroads great riding in Sonoma County.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Donner Lake Rim (mountain bike) - 32km/20mi, 780m/2,560ft- I love mountain bike trails like these... alpine terrain, natural (ie no manmade stuff). Great views, wildflowers and a close encounter with a black bear. Mellow climbing with a ripping fun descent.
Sorry we missed you.

Sponsor

Staff online