• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Camelback Mountain reports a new high-speed quad.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
In the end, it will come down to what you feel is the safe path for yourself. I definitely wouldn't even consider weekend skiing this year, and weekday skiing will depend on the number of cases within a 3 hour drive (I figure 90% of the skiers at any mountain would be coming from that distance maximum). Too many people are starting to become comfortable taking part in activities they wouldn't have considered 6 months ago.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
We've been wondering the same about Marc Antony and Cleo, but based on their never running them like previous management on their busiest holiday weekends last season when Stevenson and Sullivan were backed up to lower Florida, I'm not optimistic. I assume that was a penny-pinching payroll decision, so I can't think those circumstances will be better THIS season. We've held off on season passes given they want full pop and we have no idea what to expect (limited access to restrooms??).

I know they want to replace these lifts and had actually heard that they had plans to remove them last summer. Of course Covid (or just 2020 lol) changed things. Not so sure that they were intentionally not running them to save money as they were planning the future with replacing them. I have always advocated a new HS lift up the center of the mountain. I feel this would open up a kinda of new 1/3 of the mountain with some slight trail reworking. Basically I would like to see a cut through from Big Pocono to Lower Cleopatra not forcing one to Sullivan Quad. Problem has always been Honeymoon lane which is the major cross from east to west, but the new lift could be the solution to that. (BTW a set of bumps down Upper Big Pocono attached to bumps on Lower Cleo would make an awesome t2b run). I also heard Glen and Raceway were scheduled to be replaced (by 1 lift) too. What the pandemic does to these plans who knows?

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I doubt that will stop the parking lots from being filled with NY plates...
We are so in uncharted waters. With the way things are going I'm not convinced they are even going to open so the lots may just be empty. Tough and expensive to make snow when its not clear that it will be able to be skied upon.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
In the end, it will come down to what you feel is the safe path for yourself. I definitely wouldn't even consider weekend skiing this year, and weekday skiing will depend on the number of cases within a 3 hour drive (I figure 90% of the skiers at any mountain would be coming from that distance maximum). Too many people are starting to become comfortable taking part in activities they wouldn't have considered 6 months ago.

I only go to Plattekill on weekends since I hate crowds in general. The rest of my skiing this year (if at all) will be Wednesday trips to Hunter or Belleayre until NY is closed off to out of state residents too.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
You may be stuck with Mountaincreek...:geek:
I'm more likely to try the indoor ski mall at the Meadowlands.

I could actually say I miss Craigmeur right now as its in my town but the real shame was when Morris County Freeholders decided against opening up the old Snow Bowl ski area. That was actually a decent hill.

As far as Mountain Creek. I really liked Vernon Valley when it first opened and one was able to ski Straightaway from the top right down to Rt 94 under the Yellow Chair. I think they took away a lot when they built Action Park and subsequently the Condos. Great Gorge North seems kind underused with really only one trail off of it with Pipeline now closed permanently. Kamakazi (what ever they call it now) is ok but South summit (which not complaining,, but now become a terrain park heaven) was never a huge favorite of mine. Soujourn Chair and trail is not a picnic either.

That pretty much sums up why I prefer Camelback as a home bump. Both are under an hour (Shawnee Mt,, likewise) door to door. Even though the runs are shorter I feel they have more variety and the layout is better and its further from the coast, higher in elevation and is generally colder then NJ.

I do want to try the "ramp" (what I call Big Snow) but really haven't had the time to go down there. Wanted to do it during the summer (trying to keep some skiing muscles in shape) but of course it was closed.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I learned to ski at Craigmeur. I still remember the rental boots...buckled leather boots that were usually soggy by the time I got there in the evening, so they had all the support of a bowl of spaghetti LOL. Never liked VV, the runs were bisected by that one green trail that went top to bottom. I preferred GG, nice cruiser top to bottom. But I haven't been there in probably 15 years...

I think that the traffic at the Camelback base area is going to be even worse that it was, from what I have heard about where the top of that new lift is. Well, things change, not always for the better, but it is what it is. I still don't get the "high speed, non-detachable" description LOL

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
think that the traffic at the Camelback base area is going to be even worse that it was, from what I have heard about where the top of that new lift is. Well, things change, not always for the better, but it is what it is. I still don't get the "high speed, non-detachable" description LOL

They have plans for the base area and the structures there. Remember they indicated that they were going to take over the Thirsty Camel and I think the The Loft (ski shop) section of the lodge. What they are going lift wise I have not seen but I did hear that most of the older lifts (Bailey,Cleo, Marc and Glen) were all slated for removal. The placement of the new chair makes a lot of room down there (plenty of room for a nice bottom to top high speed lift and another lift to serve what Raceway and Glen lifts serve now.) right next to the Stevenson the hotel and Trails End bar. Sun Bowl Lodge could be improved and the nice deck it has upgraded. They have the east to expand to over on the other side of Stevenson too. Like I said I have not seen or heard much but it seems like they are willing to spend money. The mountain can't grow but I think it can ski better.

Walking up Sun Bowl was faster then the old double chair so anything they put in could be considered high speed.

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

Couple of views of the Sun Bowl as she was

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I could actually say I miss Craigmeur right now as its in my town but the real shame was when Morris County Freeholders decided against opening up the old Snow Bowl ski area. That was actually a decent hill.

As far as Mountain Creek. I really liked Vernon Valley when it first opened and one was able to ski Straightaway from the top right down to Rt 94 under the Yellow Chair. I think they took away a lot when they built Action Park and subsequently the Condos. Great Gorge North seems kind underused with really only one trail off of it with Pipeline now closed permanently. Kamakazi (what ever they call it now) is ok but South summit (which not complaining,, but now become a terrain park heaven) was never a huge favorite of mine. Soujourn Chair and trail is not a picnic either.

That pretty much sums up why I prefer Camelback as a home bump. Both are under an hour (Shawnee Mt,, likewise) door to door. Even though the runs are shorter I feel they have more variety and the layout is better and its further from the coast, higher in elevation and is generally colder then NJ.

I do want to try the "ramp" (what I call Big Snow) but really haven't had the time to go down there. Wanted to do it during the summer (trying to keep some skiing muscles in shape) but of course it was closed.
7239F5C0-9BA8-4B6E-9775-331FFC5A9123.jpeg
Roots.