• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Camping near Co. Springs, ISO suggestions.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll be driving out for ten days next weekend, it's the first time I've been in Colorado not for work and I plan to do a lot of hiking. I know about the typical touristy things like Cave of the Winds and Broadmoor Seven Falls (my DW loves waterfalls), and there are a ton of trails around Pikes. Can anyone suggest any particularly choice spots I should try to get to? Maybe a really good (which for me is more about location than size) fireworks display? Restaurant suggestions, besides using yelp? A great coffee shop? We'll be on the west side of town, towards Manitou.

I'm tempted to visit Sand Dunes national park, but at nearly three hours drive time it's a bit too far. And I don't want to see I-70, my work trips always have me running between Denver and Summit Co. and I don't want to think about that.

I sure wish I could make a few turns... if Abasin were still open THAT would get me to go up 70.

??

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not as familiar with that area, but check out Lost Creek Wilderness and see if it's close enough for you. Pretty cool rock formations and good hiking and climbing, among other things. I wouldn't rule out the Sand Dunes, especially because Medano Creek is all time this summer. It's a unique place, even if a little far.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Check out Cheyenne Mountain Campground.

You can check availability thru reserveAmerica.com

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Salida is a great little town with lots of hiking and kayaking. Good restaurants and cafes too.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Find something around Manitou Springs for a day or two while you get the lay of the land. Puts you right there in Garden of the Gods for some hike and climb. If you have kids have them try the Spring Water (not your SO though could cause a divorce).

There might still be some drive to skiing on the North Bowls of Pikes Peak; they had the snow for it. Call the Park, they could tell you.

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There might still be some drive to skiing on the North Bowls of Pikes Peak; they had the snow for it. Call the Park, they could tell you.
Oooooh, MY! I had no idea. *drool* Unfortunately, even if I got beacon, probes and shovel I haven't the avy training, and the others in my group are relatively poor skiers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Oooooh, MY! I had no idea. *drool* Unfortunately, even if I got beacon, probes and shovel I haven't the avy training, and the others in my group are relatively poor skiers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Leave the ski gear at home. The skiing is definitely NOT for beginners or even intermediates.

There will be awesome weather for camping. If you keep it below say 10,500 Feet you will find plenty of dry campsites. The creeks are running high though.

The Barr trail while crowded and popular is a must do.

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
EXCELLENT! Abasin's open on the 4th, so the skis are coming along!

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So we've been out since Monday. I left the skis at home because I realized it wouldn't be right for me to leave everyone stuck at the bottom of Abasin while I skied, and after hearing about the last day madness I guess it's just as well.

A lot of time's been spent helping my son buy a van and fixing what it needs, so we've only managed to hike Saint Peter's Dome and Horsethief Falls. Beautiful spots. Today we need to take it on a long shakedown ride, so I think we'll have breakfast at the Sunshine in Silverthorne and hike the trails near Abasin.

And best of all, my wife is less insistent that we have to go back home to S. Florida when we retire!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid