• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can anybody tell me how long do ski boots last?

sabbir.thepro

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi there!

I am learning skiing. Currently I using one of friends ski boot. However, now I am planning to buy one pair for me. But ski boots are so expensive.

So this question come out on my mind, how long do ski boots last?

What to do to make ski boots neat and clean?

Posaune

sliding
Skier
My current boots have a minimum of 250 days on them and I'll be using them again this coming year and into the future until something breaks. If you protect the soles from wearing down they'll last better.

As far as cleaning, they're having snow rub along them every time you use them so the exterior rarely needs cleaning. For the interior, take your inner boot out of the shell regularly and make sure it's dry inside before storing them. Store them buckled.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My current boots have a minimum of 250 days on them and I'll be using them again this coming year and into the future until something breaks. If you protect the soles from wearing down they'll last better.

As far as cleaning, they're having snow rub along them every time you use them so the exterior rarely needs cleaning. For the interior, make sure you take your inner boot out of the shell regularly and make sure it's dry inside the boot for storage. Store them buckled.
250 is pretty good. I was going to say 100-150 days is about average but you'll probably need liners before that. Are you still on the original liners?

TS
sabbir.thepro

sabbir.thepro

Skier
Is it wise to store them in my garage? My garage is quite warm.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Are you still on the original liners?
I never used the original liners. I'm using Intuition liners and I may need to replace them sooner than the shells, but they still hold me in well. I really don't remember when I got my current boots, but it's at least 5 years ago and I ski about 50 days per season, so 250 days all together is a minimum.

Reactions: Ogg
TS
sabbir.thepro

sabbir.thepro

Skier
As long as it's dry and there aren't any rodents or other varmints that would nest in them in the building. A wet boot will mold inside, so keeping them dry is important.
What do you do to make them dry?

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Let them sit with the inner boot pulled out of the shell until they dry. If in a hurry, use a hair dryer or put them upside down over a heat register. It's the inner boot you need to worry about with moisture.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you walk on them much on pavement, the toes and heels wear down first. My Nordicas have replaceable toe and heel pieces which I order online every few years.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
besides storage and cleaning most important component to have ski boots for long time is properly fitted boots. Otherwise, your experience will be painful and expensive shortly after with collection off ski boots which doesn't work for you

TS
sabbir.thepro

sabbir.thepro

Skier
Let them sit with the inner boot pulled out of the shell until they dry. If in a hurry, use a hair dryer or put them upside down over a heat register. It's the inner boot you need to worry about with moisture.
Super idea. Like your way of drying your ski boot.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Be careful about using too much heat to dry them especially if you have moldable liners or shells. I actually melted the tongue on one of my old boots by putting it too close to an electric baseboard(dumb, I know). They also make a variety of electric boot dryers from small portable that will fit in your pocket to a multi boot rack. Some of us have also built our own.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
When you do go to purchase your boots, make sure you go to a good boot fitter. They will help you get the correct fit and that alone will make you keep the boot a long time.

TS
sabbir.thepro

sabbir.thepro

Skier
Be careful about using too much heat to dry them especially if you have moldable liners or shells. I actually melted the tongue on one of my old boots by putting it too close to an electric baseboard(dumb, I know). They also make a variety of electric boot dryers from small portable that will fit in your pocket to a multi boot rack. Some of us have also built our own.
Buddy what I think, buying a pair of ski boot is way better then taking care of them.........right?
Especially, I might need some other equiments for repairing those.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Boots don't need much care compared to skis, just don't abuse them. When you get into tuning your skis is where you start down the rabbit hole.

TS
sabbir.thepro

sabbir.thepro

Skier
When you do go to purchase your boots, make sure you go to a good boot fitter. They will help you get the correct fit and that alone will make you keep the boot a long time.
Yah you right. I was thinking about it. As my foots are wide. So I need a good boot fitter nearby me to fix this problem. I was looking for ski boots for wide feet online and I found a variety of ski boot for wide feet suggestions.

Last edited:
TS
sabbir.thepro

sabbir.thepro

Skier
Boots don't need much care compared to skis, just don't abuse them. When you get into tuning your skis is where you start down the rabbit hole.
Ha ha ha ha ha................well said. I want to tweet your quote.....:roflmao:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'll be going into season 7 with my boots. Last 2 seasons I've not had nearly the # of days as before.

Like a few others I pull my liners to dry them and the plastic boot. I do have a boot dryer that uses gentle heat, no forced air. But even if I use it, I pull the liner out and dry them on their own. Last season I replaced the toe and heel pads, Atomic Hawks and gravel don't get along.

Boots are your connection to your skis. You marry your boots, you date your skis ( the Ski Diva mantra!!) So spend good money on boots and get them professionally fitted. That is one of the reasons I can still ski in these boots. My fitter is in Whistler, even though I'm in Eastern Canada.

I think I'll be in for new boots next year. But I'll talk to Barry before I buy anything. He knows my feet and will not let me down.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Mine have 450 days on them over 6 years. I’m on my second liners, booster strap, and set of toe/heel plates. I always store shells and liners separately and almost always use cattracks. I could easily get more use from them but I’m getting a new pair fit.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cattracks, yes. Liners will go first, if cattracks used. 500 to 800 days, depending - at least. But that is the shell, not the liner.

In a humid area, or skiing every day for long hours, drying boots can matter. In a dry climate, every other day, often half days, not so much.

I just bring them into the relatively dryer house overnight in winter - heating dries the air out. And that is all that is really needed.

(I ski every other day, not every day - if every day, depending on inspection, I might pull the liners sometimes, on wetter days, maybe. But no need now.)

Sponsor

Staff online