• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can anybody tell me how long do ski boots last?

TS
sabbir.thepro

sabbir.thepro

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Cattracks, yes. Liners will go first, if cattracks used. 500 to 800 days, depending - at least. But that is the shell, not the liner.

In a humid area, or skiing every day for long hours, drying boots can matter. In a dry climate, every other day, often half days, not so much.

I just bring them into the relatively dryer house overnight in winter - heating dries the air out. And that is all that is really needed.

(I ski every other day, not every day - if every day, depending on inspection, I might pull the liners sometimes, on wetter days, maybe. But no need now.)
In summery, keeping ski boots dry is an important factor for ski boots lasting. This is what actually I have understand through out the conversation.
No matter I store or use everyday, I should dry my ski boots after every ski season.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I get about 2-3 seasons out of a boot so for me that is 100-150 days. For me a ski day is typically skiing bell to bell. Another factor is going to be your weight and how hard you are skiing IMHO - I am a bigger guy and more aggressive skier, my wife is half my size and not a super aggressive skier and is on year 6 with her current boots. With new ultra light boots I have heard the shells do not last as long, but am currently going into my second season with a pair of those so cannot say for sure. As your skiing improves your skills may outgrow your boot and you may want to upgrade to something stiffer designed for a more advanced skier.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you dry the liner after each ski day, your boots will last well. I, also, don't like taking the liner out because I am afraid of damaging my boot heater. I use dry guy products like these 2.

I was able to use the travel dryers when I was in Europe. I just had to use a power converter. Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.21.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.21.54 PM.png

However, I do not know what products would be most available in your part of the world. If you do want to pull the liners out to dry them, don't get a boot heater. You can buy heated socks instead. Then you won't have to worry about damaging the wires.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
In summery, keeping ski boots dry is an important factor for ski boots lasting. This is what actually I have understand through out the conversation.
No matter I store or use everyday, I should dry my ski boots after every ski season.
This could be lost in translation....dry your boots every day after you use them, not every season.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
You can easily dry your boots every day after you ski without having to take the liners out. All you need is a fan. Heat is not necessary. Place a fan on top of your boots, blowing down into them. Leave it there all night long. In the morning your boots will be thoroughly dry.

If you do this every day after skiing, and if you wear clean socks on clean feet (!!!), they your boots should never smell bad. If you don't dry them every night after skiing, the moisture will build up and promote the growth of mold and mildew in the liners.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
You can easily dry your boots every day after you ski without having to take the liners out. All you need is a fan. Heat is not necessary. Place a fan on top of your boots, blowing down into them. Leave it there all night long. In the morning your boots will be thoroughly dry.

If you do this every day after skiing, and if you wear clean socks on clean feet (!!!), they your boots should never smell bad. If you don't dry them every night after skiing, the moisture will build up and promote the growth of mold and mildew in the liners.
This HUGELY person and situation dependent. If I've been skiing spring bumps all day I damn well better take my liners out ASAP or they're going to be wet in the morning.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This HUGELY person and situation dependent. If I've been skiing spring bumps all day I damn well better take my liners out ASAP or they're going to be wet in the morning.
@Ogg, I'm sure you are right, it does depend on how much a person's feet sweat. On the other hand, I doubt the OP is going to be skiing bumps all day.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Ogg, I'm sure you are right, it does depend on how much a person's feet sweat. But I doubt the OP is going to be skiing bumps all day.
Agreed but when I was a struggling beginner-intermediate I remember sweating...a lot. I was also overweight and likely overdressed so YMMV.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Liners last typically less than 100 days. Aftermarket liners are usually better than stock and can enhance the performance of the boot.

The shells last until the plastic breaks down. Just got new shells this summer replacing my old boot after 10 years and 400 days. All the hardware on your boots is replaceable, buckles, toe pieces, etc.. so if you breaks something you can get it repaired.

TS
sabbir.thepro

sabbir.thepro

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

Do you use any spray to remove bad smell?

One more thing, do you ever wash your boots with water or is it ok if I do?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Do you use any spray to remove bad smell?

One more thing, do you ever wash your boots with water or is it ok if I do?
I have never sprayed or washed my boots, but always remove and dry my liners and boots. That said I also don't stick my nose in to smell them nor do I offer sniffs to friends :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
No. Makes little difference.

Drying the liners after use may prolong the life, but the reason to do it is warm feet the next day. Drying may help with smell, but those whose boots smell generally nothing works other than say a spray like for bowling shoes.
I don’t see a problem with hand washing liners once in a while. Shells last longer than liners, but plastic in shells loses quality over time.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
You can wash any part of the boot you wish, but make sure it's completely dry before putting the liner back in the boot. However, there is little to no reason to wash a ski boot. When you're on snow (which is, after all, water) there is little chance for dirt to become a problem and if some parking lot crud gets on them you can wipe it off with a cloth.

James

Out There
Instructor
Spring mud season in the East requires a rinse of the shells to remove lots of dirt, mud, grass. This can come from skiing and mostly walking. There are people who ski mud/grass though.
I want the bottoms and the toe/heel lugs clean especially. To avoid wear on bindings and boots.
Dirt + bindings = bad.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
One time at a demo day at Whistler I asked the Nordica rep how long boots lasted. He said that every movement in the boots very minutely softens the plastic. Eventually they will be too soft to suit the skier's preference, then it's time for new boots. As said above, the liners will be done before the shells. The foam in the liners loses its resiliency, they feel sloppy, and it's time for replacement liners. Aftermarket liners, either Intuition or ZipFit, can work better than factory liners if...IF...the boot shop person knows which model is best for the skier and the shell. While heel & toe sole plates and buckles are replaceable, don't count on them being available several years after buying the boots. Just protect them as you use them. Buy replacements at the first sign of wear or damage, not "I'll get them next year," and there are none to be found.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Suggestion; I buy extra heel and toe plates the same year I buy the boots as the sizes and designs may change from year to year. That happened to me once. Order extra heel and toe plates as soon as you know you're keeping those boots and use Catracks or the Yaktrax to protect them. For walking across icy parking lots I place screws in the bottom for better grip. I slipped on ice once in the parking lot and had to visit the ER to sew my finger back together when it slid on my sharp edges as I fell. I drilled a hole in the front so I could cable lock them on the ski rack at the lodge to walk back to the car. Otherwise you're carrying the extra bulk around all day and the screws might tear up your pockets.

Attachments

• 20210207_103600.jpg
    20210207_103600.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Suggestion; I buy extra heel and toe plates the same year I buy the boots as the sizes and designs may change from year to year. That happened to me once. Order extra heel and toe plates as soon as you know you're keeping those boots and use Catracks or the Yaktrax to protect them. For walking across icy parking lots I place screws in the bottom for better grip. I slipped on ice once in the parking lot and had to visit the ER to sew my finger back together when it slid on my sharp edges as I fell. I drilled a hole in the front so I could cable lock them on the ski rack at the lodge to walk back to the car. Otherwise you're carrying the extra bulk around all day and the screws might tear up your pockets.
You are correct, buy the toe and heel replacement parts as soon as you know you are keeping the boots. Trying to find them a few years down the road is near impossible. Ski shops and manufacturers want to sell new boots they may not stock as many parts to keep the older boots on the mountain.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid