• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I'm retiring my beloved first gen Kastle RX skis but I'm thinking of reusing the plate and bindings.
These were purchased used several years ago and came with a unique plates system for the KTI-14 bindings.
A long time ago on Epic someone identified this plate as German made but I cannot remember who made it.
Anybody know what this thing is or anything about it.
It is an easily adjustable but very solid unit that isn't as sloppy as most adjustable bindings.
IMG_2646.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What do you think of putting this setup on the AM77's?
I like your thinking, the plate was very good. But..it is also 10 plus years old and the Marker binding was mostly plastic...not metal like a 16.0, but more a glorified 12.0. Would you put 10 year old tires on a new Porsche? Also, good luck trying to find someone who has a jig for it, I am not sure how much I would trust myself or most shop techs to paper template the binding.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Is there some vinyl/rubber under that plate? The plate is curved upward on its two ends, right, allowing the ski tip and tail to bend upward beneath it?

If it's like the one I had on a pair of MX78s, there's vinyl or rubber under there. It may be deteriorating. On my plate, the soft stuff was turning dark yellow. I worried about it. Maybe I shouldn't have. Nevertheless, I had that binding and plate replaced.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah that plate was good, at the time. I think that was on most of the early Kastle demos I tried.

What Phil said.
Maybe mount it on a wall? Turn the Din way down, use it to store a pair of boots on the wall.

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
All the rubber and plastic parts are in surprisingly good shape.
There are lots of them.
The bindings work fine and have never spit me out when they shouldn't have.
Don't need no imprecise, stinking templates.
I'll have to think harder, Augment is backordered so I have quite a while.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also had that plate on some MX78 from several years ago.
When I buy a brand new ski, I can never bring myself to putt on a used binding on it.
I believe it to be bad luck / karma ogwink

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Now that I have studied it, I think this mystery plate is something special.
It isn't intended to add damping to the ski but it has the best design I have ever seen to allow the ski to take an arc under the boot area.
The rocking hinged sliders at the front and back fit very well and hold the plate about 2 mm above the ski.
The plate is located longitudinally by the mount in the center and along the transverse and vertical axis's by the sliders.
The hinged rockers allow the ski to bend without putting any torque vertically on the ski.
it is strong like hell transversely and held on with 12 screws total.
Zero slop which is a first for me with adjustable bindings.
The Marker bindings engage the slot on the top side of the plate and are easily adjusted.
This unit probably cost at least twice as much to make as a Marker piston plate and lots more then some of the plastic wonders I see.
All the rubber and plastic pieces are in VG condition which means they were made from top grade materials 'cause it is at least 10 years old.
The Marker 14 bindings work fine and are still packed with grease.
These clamps are the weak point in this system but all the heavily stressed pieces are metal and they have never spit me out unnecessarily.
Very tempted to give this setup a new life...
IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2655.JPG