• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can F.I.S. be an acronym? (FIS)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did N.A.S.A find the Ufo that crashed in the Drc?

My kids are older but I wonder about people that use weird names for things with their children. Like teaching someone to say zesty instead of tasty.

More on this though, when did it become commonplace to use these abbreviations? From typesetting? It’s not that hard to say United Kingdom.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
DIN or D I N?

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
DIN or D I N?
Great point. I prefer to pronounce acronyms as if they are words. The purpose of languages is to communicate effectively, and so long as both parties understand, it’s fine by me. I usually take the path of least resistance out of sheer laziness unless it’s grammar related.

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
Fédération internationale de ski is a French name. Thus, the acronym is also French and must be pronounced accordingly: Eff-ee-ess

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Fédération internationale de ski is a French name. Thus, the acronym is also French and must be pronounced accordingly: Eff-ee-ess
DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung, and should be pronounced de-ee-n?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Did N.A.S.A find the Ufo that crashed in the Drc?

My kids are older but I wonder about people that use weird names for things with their children. Like teaching someone to say zesty instead of tasty.

More on this though, when did it become commonplace to use these abbreviations? From typesetting? It’s not that hard to say United Kingdom.

Be careful what you say around your kids; my daughter grew up thinking the proper pronunciation of Alzheimer's disease disease was Old-Timer's disease, 'cause that's what I always called it (in jest).:D

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Can we pronounce the SL too? Fissile.
I believe someone (possibly on TGR) wrote a Whistler area touring report titled "Fissile like a Missile".

TLAs are the bane of the working world and rarely do I have a day when someone doesn't use one without explaining its meaning. And often orally hard to distinguish : is s SCM a Scam, scum, skim, skem?