• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can F.I.S. be an acronym? (FIS)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So the main thing I've learned in this thread is that anyone says "fiss" rather than "F, I, S" as separate letters ... it's never occurred to me or I've never noticed. Every time I've read or said it, I've read or said F, I, S as separate letters. And I can't recall having heard any TV announcers or anything pronounce it like a word either.

And I thought of another sports example, where I DO always hear it as a word and I say it as a word... FIFA (fee'-fuh).

Weird. No idea why I do one, but the other never even occurred to me.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In Peru USA is pronounced OO-sa. Probably in many other Spanish speaking countries as well.
True... maybe because the individual letters are a little more awkward to say in Spanish and in English?

In English, U, S, A is 3 syllables and link together easily in pronunciation. In Spanish, U, S, A, is more like "oo, essay, ah", 4 syllables which to me seem awkward to pronounce together.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So the main thing I've learned in this thread is that anyone says "fiss" rather than "F, I, S" as separate letters ... it's never occurred to me or I've never noticed. Every time I've read or said it, I've read or said F, I, S as separate letters. And I can't recall having heard any TV announcers or anything pronounce it like a word either.

And I thought of another sports example, where I DO always hear it as a word and I say it as a word... FIFA (fee'-fuh).

Because you grew up with Anglo vowels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift

And consistently breaking those pronunciation patterns for how everyone else says it is apparently hard.

And thus we have F I S and F I A and U C I and I O C but we have WADA and FIFA.

True... maybe because the individual letters are a little more awkward to say in Spanish and in English?

That's just the ones that don't say "Estados Unidos".

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier

In English, U, S, A is 3 syllables and link together easily in pronunciation. In Spanish, U, S, A, is more like "oo, essay, ah", 4 syllables which to me seem awkward to pronounce together.
Its because every letter in Spanish is always pronounced the same way. U is always oo as in boot, S is always sss as in snake, and A is always ah as in "say ah".

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
In 18 years involved in the race world never heard anyone use F.I.S.
But, maybe if someone were talking about the organization itself and not a race. I.E., "the F.I.S." as opposed to "FIS races". I don't think people say "the FIS changed the rules", it's "The F.I.S. changed the rules". And "When we go to FIS races", not "When we go to F.I.S. races" or "She raced FIS in high school", not "She raced F. I.S. in high school".

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think snowboarders would have been just fine if the wankers at FIS hadn't appropriated their sport using the nasty politics of being gatekeepers for the Olympics.

In an amusing-to-me turn of events, Lance Armstrong said the exact same thing in one of his podcasts. Except about cycling, the UCI and WADA :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

It's because we - you and I, among others - hang with the skiing hoi polloi. The real race people who know how things are are too busy to burn time standing around taking tourist pictures and noodling down the hill with the likes of us. So we never pick up the lingo.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's because we - you and I, among others - hang with the skiing hoi polloi. The real race people who know how things are are too busy to burn time standing around taking tourist pictures and noodling down the hill with the likes of us. So we never pick up the lingo.
But why is the lingo the same for FIFA among coaches/players/announcers/the org itself, and different for FIS - as apparently the general public and announcers/broadcasters don't say it the same way.

I'm not actually looking for an answer, just noting the odd vagaries of lingo and how it spreads or gets used.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not actually looking for an answer, just noting the odd vagaries of lingo and how it spreads or gets used.

This reminds me of that old English guy demonstrating coppicing on YouTube.

Take-away quote:
"The dictionary guys say there are two ways to pronounce 'coppice'. The dictionary guys have never seen one and sleep in a brick house, or they'd know the pronounciation is 'copse' "

James

Out There
Instructor
Use both. Saying “fiss” as opposed to the letters can get lost in a sentence sometimes.
I don’t see it as much of a big deal though.

I generally don't say “fiss slaloms” for the skis for instance.

Sponsor

Staff online