• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can you over brush your bases by hand?

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Ive been tuning and waxing for several years and have always gone by the mantra, the more base brushing the better. No more white flakes or areas of visible wax and I'm good to go. Always glide past most on the slopes and rewax every couple of days during the season. Without a rotobrush, can you really over brush?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think you need to include with what brushhair material?
With steel or the very aggressive brushes you risk brushing off even the thin boundary layer of wax you spent applying, and negating your wax job

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Ive been tuning and waxing for several years and have always gone by the mantra, the more base brushing the better. No more white flakes or areas of visible wax and I'm good to go. Always glide past most on the slopes and rewax every couple of days during the season. Without a rotobrush, can you really over brush?
As long as you are not using a super stiff stainless steel, I'd say no.
I am a proponent of hand brushing. Best way to brush by me. You just don't need a roto.
If you think you are over brushing by hand see this video.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As others have stated, other than a stiff steel brush, I can't imagine harm from excessive brushing. The more the better. (Over Roto-Corking...different story.)
Brush to Rush! (tm)

TS
Jack Lake

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
I use nylon and horsehair exclusively. Also used brass as the first brush for cold waxes for a while but read conflicting opinions on using brass instead of copper. Have never used steel brushes. Guidance on whether or not to use brass as a first brush post-waxing would be extremely helpful. It made the nylon brush a one pass step before finishing with horse hair. Also, I base prep with BP88, then a coat of cold blue, then scrape and brush before applying WOTD. Appreciate all of yous guys.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
From Toko......
76545A66-2AFE-49CB-8334-CFE64B880FBA.jpeg

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I use nylon and horsehair exclusively. Also used brass as the first brush for cold waxes for a while but read conflicting opinions on using brass instead of copper. Have never used steel brushes. Guidance on whether or not to use brass as a first brush post-waxing would be extremely helpful. It made the nylon brush a one pass step before finishing with horse hair. Also, I base prep with BP88, then a coat of cold blue, then scrape and brush before applying WOTD. Appreciate all of yous guys.
Don't be afraid of using steel, brass, copper, bronze etc. post waxing. A polishing brush just won't clean out the base structure enough.
If I had only one brush, it would be fine brass.
Base prep. wax should always be used, but once prepared need only be used from time to time as long as you keep up with the waxing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got some neighborhood kid who thinks I'm teaching him how to fight doing my waxing and brushing..

Seriously though, the only time you night risk taking TOO MUCH wax off is in really warm snow, slush. Bumpier the better for spring corn.. scrape and brush it down for everything below freezing..

TS
Jack Lake

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
I love the therapy. After long weeks on call the hours spent tuning, waxing and brushing when I cant get to the mountain are as cathartic as weightlifting. With that being said, i need more brushes.

Sponsor