• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can you over brush your bases by hand?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm debating trying to re-edge the scraper with a cutting or grinding blade on the dremel and then even out any irregularities with the sharpener/panzer.

I am not understanding/visualizing the usage/process/purpose involving the dremel prior to passing the scraper over the sharpener/panzar.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Do you find that it actually gets the scraper back to original sharpness?

I've been finding that it works reasonably well, and definitely not well enough to justify buying a power sharpener (let alone justify one to the wife), but when I pull out a new scraper I'm reminded that it's not as good as factory. I'm debating trying to re-edge the scraper with a cutting or grinding blade on the dremel and then even out any irregularities with the sharpener/panzer.

Just use a piece of plate glass and some 220 grit wet sandpaper.
Anything else will not get the scraper straight.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you find that it actually gets the scraper back to original sharpness?

I've been finding that it works reasonably well, and definitely not well enough to justify buying a power sharpener (let alone justify one to the wife), but when I pull out a new scraper I'm reminded that it's not as good as factory. I'm debating trying to re-edge the scraper with a cutting or grinding blade on the dremel and then even out any irregularities with the sharpener/panzer.

You will never go back! Works like a charm!

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
@Jacques
These kids know nothing.
A wavy scraper is useless and a disaster waiting to happen.
Every real machinist knows that the only way to get things straight and flat is to grind them that way against a true surface.
A straight, sharp steel scraper is a delight to use. even if it can cause problems for the inexperienced.
A straight, sharp steel scraper that has been burred on a carbide rod is a fearsome thing.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
@Jacques
These kids know nothing.
A wavy scraper is useless and a disaster waiting to happen.
Every real machinist knows that the only way to get things straight and flat is to grind them that way against a true surface.
A straight, sharp steel scraper is a delight to use. even if it can cause problems for the inexperienced.
A straight, sharp steel scraper that has been burred on a carbide rod is a fearsome thing.
I concur.
Sandpaper on a good flat surface works good, although I don't show any of that on any of my stuff.
I sometimes use the old knife rod to create a nice burr for my base peeling scraper.