• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cannondale and Tinker Juarez part ways

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tinker:
244746299_10226075301046708_3878943507976523083_n.jpg

Cannondale:
"Since the start of the Volvo-Cannondale team in 1994, our riders have inspired a generation of cyclists, and there is no rider more inspirational and aspirational from the early days of mountain bike racing than Tinker Juarez. Through the last 27 years Cannondale has supported Tinker’s journey that included racing at the top of the sport and showcasing cycling in the boom era of mountain bike racing through current day competitions and events.

“Tinker is one of the most recognized cross-country racers the world has known. We have celebrated almost three decades of competition together where he has represented Cannondale and his partners with an inspiring commitment to his craft and his fans. We will always be appreciative of the time we’ve shared with Tinker on two wheels.

“A true legend in the sport, a mountain bike hall of fame member, two-time US Olympic team member, 7x US National Champion (XC & 24-hour solo category), World Cup winner, and Masters World Champion, Tinker has done and won it all.

“To better align with his goals in the coming years, Tinker has decided to seek a different level of support than what Cannondale is offering, from another bike partner. We will forever be one of his biggest fans and grateful for the contributions Tinker has given to Cannondale, the sport of mountain biking and the broader cycling community.

Thank you, Tinker
."

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Lack of comment suggests why Cannondale cut him. I remember his name from mtb magazines in the early 90s but I doubt even current XCers sell bikes. Olympic champion Tom Pidcock is really a roadie and doubt he sells anything.

Anyway bikes sell themselves at the moment just by availability so why spend any marketing budget?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm sure current top XC riders do sell bikes. Not much, and honestly I doubt they sell enough to be worth $25k/year, but someone racing some recreational races at age of 60+, certainly doesn't sell enough bikes, to be worth more then free coffee... even if he was sort of legend some 40 years ago. For me he was never anything but someone I heard of and had no idea why he should be legend, as in my memory he never did anything special result vise (those ultra races mean even less then normal mtb racing). So personally this crying how they dropped him even though he got "only" $25k/year is slightly ridiculous. Realistically he was never really some huge name worldwide. Mtb racing being some obscure sport noone is interested in (from racing point of view) doesn't help with this either.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does this mean I need s new bike? You know, for solidarity?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is not new in sports, how many top athletes finish their career with either another team or brand? Joe Montana/San Fran-KC, Joe Namath/Jets-Rams, Tom Seaver/Mets-Red Sox (and many other teams). And yes, we see it in the ski industry too with Phil & Steve skiing on Head now when we all knew them from K2. What about Marcel Hiersher making his own ski with no affiliation with Atomic? It is tough for the athlete to let go and tough for the team to pay for diminished talent/RIO and to put a value on the face, how long can that relationship last?

Yes, we all are familiar with Tinker being the face of Cannondale but when was the last time we saw his image even being used by the brand? Tinker says C-Cale didn't renew, C-Dale says he went with another brand. I am with @fatbob in that if you read it carefully, it sounds more the former than the latter. We are in a "what have you done for me lately?" world.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well, I see it purely as business. If you aren't earning your salary X2 for your employer, why are you paying them? Is it a pension? Loyalty money? I dunno..people have to be productive in some way I would think.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Later in his career, he transitioned to endurance racing, 100 milers in particular, and he was searingly fast in them -- but he also got lost a lot.

I've chatted with him after races a couple times and he was quiet, humble, and unassuming.

C'Dale's loss IMO. Hope he finds a ride. Not like he was asking for the moon.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always admired Tinker for his riding skills and general demeanor as shown in interviews, articles, etc.. Don't know what happened with C'Dale but can understand his feelings as well as C'Dales decision. From personal experience I know that relationships can and do dissolve. I see no need to go "after" him now at what must be a difficult time in his life.