• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cannondale logo change

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure how interesting this is to everyone, but it was kind of interesting to me.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So do we know what the new one looks like?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe they are bringing back the train station?

post-20015-0-33382400-1568979175.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
You know, I could never get into Cannonadales. I dunno why..maybe it was the Headshok..or the Leftie..the colour schemes..I dunno..I just could never warm up to them. They made great touring stuff back in the day..but the bikes..dunno.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You know, I could never get into Cannonadales. I dunno why..maybe it was the Headshok..or the Leftie..the colour schemes..I dunno..I just could never warm up to them. They made great touring stuff back in the day..but the bikes..dunno.
I am on my 4th Cannondale and thinking about it, I never sought out to buy one. First was a black/gold road frame that someone gave to me and I built up, the next was a M900 fully rigid that I added a Judy SL to because I did't like the Headshock either and I couldn't afford a Klein.Tthe next was my Trigger and now my Habit Neo. But I never have thought, "OMG, I need that new Cannondale!!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe they are bringing back the train station?

post-20015-0-33382400-1568979175.jpg
I love this. It represents an actual place, for one thing. Regional identity.

For another - related, I suppose - it's not something that any marketing team would dream up now, any more than they would name a ski area "Suicide Six" or "Bogus Basin."

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

There was a time when they were reckoned more of a clothing company that happened to have a line of bikes... so yeh.

Remember the 90's herringbone weave MTB jerseys with the pedal wrench C?

I love my Synapse.

The Synapse and the CAAD lines: feature rich with a broad fit range. But really, there is only one Cannondale - and Mario rode it.

Notice that the flying C is not exactly distinct from the Cinelli Flying Wrench C - the logo space is a bit more crowded than we give credit.

1629048983748.png

First was a black/gold road frame that someone gave to me and I built up,

Not a Silk Road by any chance? Those were actually sweet riding, if you still had the original fork.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
There was a time when they were reckoned more of a clothing company that happened to have a line of bikes... so yeh.

Remember the 90's herringbone weave MTB jerseys with the pedal wrench C?

The Synapse and the CAAD lines: feature rich with a broad fit range. But really, there is only one Cannondale - and Mario rode it.

Notice that the flying C is not exactly distinct from the Cinelli Flying Wrench C

View attachment 139917
The bags..panniers and handlebar bags..were the best back in the day. Blackburn stuff was up there too but Cannondale bags were the cat's ass. Their bikes are good and they've certainly tried some new stuff..I just never felt the urge to go buy one.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

I've got FIVE of them ogsmile

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

Scott, as you know in the primitive days of front suspension (mid 90's) the industry tried a LOT of different types of forks. The need to keep the weight down was mostly responsible for many of the issues. After all, dirtbikes had damn good suspension by then. The most common complaints were; flexy, pogo stick (no damping), very high stiction and durability (bushings, polymer bumpers).
I think the Headshok was good for what it was (and the cartridges kept getting better). It was stiff, had very little stiction, bike geometry was corrected for it, lock out very accessible. Far from perfect but it did address problems other manufacture's products had. We're talking 2.5" of travel, which was where the industry was at early on.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
Yeah and I'm not saying they weren't good products..just...I personally never really cottoned onto them. For whatever reason. I remember building up their early aluminum bikes and thinking WOW someone FINALLY understands how to make an aluminum bike! This was in the days of Alan and Kinesis making bonded regular diameter aluminum frames. The strength in aluminum was obvious even to a high school student like me..and it wasn't in a regular size tubeset that was bonded. So I respect them..I just never warmed up to their bikes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The strength in aluminum was obvious even to a high school student like me..and it wasn't in a regular size tubeset that was bonded. So I respect them..I just never warmed up to their bikes.

You're excused for my part - their OS tubed alu road frames were some of the buzziest frames I've ever been on. Granted we were all on 21-23 mm rubber at 110+ psi but yowch. Same wheelset on a steel Bianchi - oh sweet sweet relief.

I actually got to the point of dreading any bike where the rear dropouts were on an extension of the chainstay past the vertex of the rear triangle. . .

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yeah and I'm not saying they weren't good products..just...I personally never really cottoned onto them. For whatever reason. I remember building up their early aluminum bikes and thinking WOW someone FINALLY understands how to make an aluminum bike! This was in the days of Alan and Kinesis making bonded regular diameter aluminum frames. The strength in aluminum was obvious even to a high school student like me..and it wasn't in a regular size tubeset that was bonded. So I respect them..I just never warmed up to their bikes.

Yes the first designs were brutally stiff. I'm sure you recall the same with the motos when they first made alu spar frames (for both road racing and MX).
They were also too stiff. But they altered tube/box shapes and got it worked out fairly quickly. My '95 Cannondale road bike has a great ride, stiff torsionally at the bottom bracket but not unduly harsh in ride quality. Actually not very different than my Eddy Merckx MXL.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online