• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can't find small enough boots in stock

MontanaMom

Booting up
Skier
So, I'm at a loss. Ive been wearing 23.5s that are very snug when I first put them on but then (after 3-4 runs) they're sloppy in the heel, even with all buckles as tight as they go.

I went to a local sports store that sells ski boots after reading a thread on here about what new boots should feel like.

NOTHING was tight enough. Absolutely nothing. And they only had two for me to try on from 2020 models and 4-5 from 2019.

I did try on a K2 Mindbender and really liked it in the heel. It was nice and snug, but my toes could barely touch the front (they did touch, but certainly not crunched up at all) and
felt like a fair amount of room up front it was just tight in the heel and up the calf.

So we measured my feet and really I'm a 22.5-23 (with a sock on).

They didn't have any 22.5 boots except 1 pair of cheap juniors. Which I did try on and could get my feet in, they weren't uncomfortable and basically like what that thread described. But too short and not even close to stuff enough.

So I called the other local shop, no 22.5 or 23.5

Called a shop about 2 hrs away, they have one: chakra 95, I tried those on in a 23.5 and hated them so not driving 2 hrs for a smaller one.

There aren't many options except online. What do I do? How do I find a 22.5 boot? Or do I get the 23.5 Mindbenders and try to make them smaller? (I would try to order online but they don't come smaller than 23.5)

Outside of ordering and returning a ton of boots I don't know what to do. Any suggestions welcome.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There are some good Jr race boots, but the bindings might be a problem. Check with the local race team coach? Maybe they have a gear swap with older kids outgrowing stuff and passing it down to smaller kids?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I'm at a loss. Ive been wearing 23.5s that are very snug when I first put them on but then (after 3-4 runs) they're sloppy in the heel, even with all buckles as tight as they go.

I went to a local sports store that sells ski boots after reading a thread on here about what new boots should feel like.

NOTHING was tight enough. Absolutely nothing. And they only had two for me to try on from 2020 models and 4-5 from 2019.

I did try on a K2 Mindbender and really liked it in the heel. It was nice and snug, but my toes could barely touch the front (they did touch, but certainly not crunched up at all) and
felt like a fair amount of room up front it was just tight in the heel and up the calf.

So we measured my feet and really I'm a 22.5-23 (with a sock on).

They didn't have any 22.5 boots except 1 pair of cheap juniors. Which I did try on and could get my feet in, they weren't uncomfortable and basically like what that thread described. But too short and not even close to stuff enough.

So I called the other local shop, no 22.5 or 23.5

Called a shop about 2 hrs away, they have one: chakra 95, I tried those on in a 23.5 and hated them so not driving 2 hrs for a smaller one.

There aren't many options except online. What do I do? How do I find a 22.5 boot? Or do I get the 23.5 Mindbenders and try to make them smaller? (I would try to order online but they don't come smaller than 23.5)

Outside of ordering and returning a ton of boots I don't know what to do. Any suggestions welcome.
Welcome to my world. The world of finding 22.5 boots. What boot are you currently in?
Where are you located? You might get some recommendations from people in your area.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Ski shops don't like to stock the smallest (or largest or stiffest) boots because they often go unsold. But a good boot fitter should be able to figure the correct size to order now for next fall. And that might be the best that you will find.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The mindbender is by no means a low volume boot even if the box says so. The heel volume is excessive for a boot labelled LV, and the heel hold you're getting is largely the function of the liner, which of course will pack out. This time of year, a wide selection of 22.5's is limited.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Between now and actually finding 22.5 boots, this liner cover might take up enough volume in a 23.5 boot:

TS
MontanaMom

MontanaMom

Booting up
Skier
I'm in a dalbello 23.5, Raya. At least I assume they're 23.5. I purchased those used because when I rented skis they put me in a 23.5 and I didn't know any better and they were cheap. They are tighter than anything I tried on today except the heel is just gone. It's not holding me in any like there's no stability there and maybe it is just the liner but I have no idea how old those boots are I just feel like it's probably time it's probably time now to buy a new boot that's going to last me the next good while. We erobably only get 20 days a season.

I tend to be extremely frugal because we do a lot of activities and so I'm trying to find an affordable way to get a really good boot which was my intention to wait until the end of season sales and get something on sale. If I have to order something at full price it's probably just not going to happen. I'd go buy a used boot before I would do that I am not going to spend $600 on the boot it's it's not going to happen at this point in my life.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm in a dalbello 23.5, Raya. At least I assume they're 23.5. I purchased those used because when I rented skis they put me in a 23.5 and I didn't know any better and they were cheap. They are tighter than anything I tried on today except the heel is just gone. It's not holding me in any like there's no stability there and maybe it is just the liner but I have no idea how old those boots are I just feel like it's probably time it's probably time now to buy a new boot that's going to last me the next good while. We erobably only get 20 days a season.

I tend to be extremely frugal because we do a lot of activities and so I'm trying to find an affordable way to get a really good boot which was my intention to wait until the end of season sales and get something on sale. If I have to order something at full price it's probably just not going to happen. I'd go buy a used boot before I would do that I am not going to spend $600 on the boot it's it's not going to happen at this point in my life.
If you can find a good boot fitter that will work with you and can narrow it down you might be able to find a deal online and then bring it to the fitter for any necessary adjustments. The fitter will charge for the adjustments but it still might end up cheaper. :huh:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After the Jackson gathering, some of my friends went on to BigSky, where the one with small feet got new boots at lonesome pine? sports (the small shop on the 2nd floor.) I think she's even smaller than a 22,5. They fixed her up after many tries. I think she ended up with a Lange, not sure what they did with the liner
If your close by, it may be worth a shot

TS
MontanaMom

MontanaMom

Booting up
Skier
If you can find a good boot fitter that will work with you and can narrow it down you might be able to find a deal online and then bring it to the fitter for any necessary adjustments. The fitter will charge for the adjustments but it still might end up cheaper. :huh:
Both local shops will alter boots if I bring them in. There is an additional charge, it's $75 at the one place but I would probably take it to the other place. I think their skill and knowledge level is better. Apparently the boot fitter at the shop that's $75 is only there two or three days a week.

The kid helping me had only been there 3 days and he clearly hadn't had much training and he's a snowboarder so I got a lot of "I don't know" to the questions I was asking but still thanks to this forum I had picked up enough about how they should fit to know that they were all too big.

TS
MontanaMom

MontanaMom

Booting up
Skier
After the Jackson gathering, some of my friends went on to BigSky, where the one with small feet got new boots at lonesome pine? sports (the small shop on the 2nd floor.) I think she's even smaller than a 22,5. They fixed her up after many tries. I think she ended up with a Lange, not sure what they did with the liner
If your close by, it may be worth a shot
It's a bit of a drive down to Big Sky, but if I go to Red Lodge I could drop down, and their might be a ski shop in Red Lodge. I've not been to either resort yet.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Are there any race teams that would have ski swap type things in your area? I'm in the Lange SC 90s in a 22.5, and I think they'd be worth hunting for. I know Phil Philpug hates used racing boots since they tend to be pretty beat up, but maybe it's worth looking at if you're desperate? I've seen those Langes show up in 22.5 for less than like $100 on the used market, just from parents trying to get some kind of money back for their kid's old boots. Ditto for the Head Raptor junior model. Not a perfect solution, but I feel like that's the most reliable method for finding a 22.5 that's relatively stiff.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Epic Mountain Gear in Aurora, CO has a 2018 Lange SX90 in 22.5 for $275. The shell is a 22-23.5, the liner is a 22.5.

I bought Lange boots because (my bootfitter told me to) I need a narrower heel pocket and have a high instep. IIRC, the SX90 has a 102 last, so a little wider in the forefoot.

Ordering/trying/returning is a hassle. But maybe a bootfitter within driving distance can guide you toward a model or two that would work for you and then it's just trying to hunt it down.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a thought, do you have custom foot beds/insoles? They can help tremendously with heel fit. Most regular ski boot insoles are meant to be replaced by custom.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a thought, do you have custom foot beds/insoles? They can help tremendously with heel fit. Most ALL regular ski boot insoles are meant to be replaced by custom.
FIFY

TS
MontanaMom

MontanaMom

Booting up
Skier
I believe Ski Boot RX is in Red Lodge.

Red Lodge is about a 5 hour drive, but I have free passes there so if I go for something else, or go.for work, I could swing by there.

Are there any race teams that would have ski swap type things in your area? I'm in the Lange SC 90s in a 22.5, and I think they'd be worth hunting for. I know Phil Philpug hates used racing boots since they tend to be pretty beat up, but maybe it's worth looking at if you're desperate? I've seen those Langes show up in 22.5 for less than like $100 on the used market, just from parents trying to get some kind of money back for their kid's old boots. Ditto for the Head Raptor junior model. Not a perfect solution, but I feel like that's the most reliable method for finding a 22.5 that's relatively stiff.

My son is doing all Mountain which is designed develop kids for the race team, so we do have one but I don't know much about it. I will ask his instructor this weekend.

Epic Mountain Gear in Aurora, CO has a 2018 Lange SX90 in 22.5 for $275. The shell is a 22-23.5, the liner is a 22.5.

I bought Lange boots because (my bootfitter told me to) I need a narrower heel pocket and have a high instep. IIRC, the SX90 has a 102 last, so a little wider in the forefoot.

Ordering/trying/returning is a hassle. But maybe a bootfitter within driving distance can guide you toward a model or two that would work for you and then it's just trying to hunt it down.

I might drive to the local shop I really trust and talk to him while also seeing what they can do for my current boots.

Just a thought, do you have custom foot beds/insoles? They can help tremendously with heel fit. Most regular ski boot insoles are meant to be replaced by custom.
I don't have any extras unless it came with the boot and I'm unaware. I don't want to throw good money after bad though. If these have ended their life expectancy, or I'm just getting to where I know enough to know they aren't right, I would rather get something right then try to fix the wrong. If that makes sense?

TS
MontanaMom

MontanaMom

Booting up
Skier
So socks make a huge difference? I usually use a wool blend sock that's medium thickness, but I tried everything on with a thinner sock that would be more like a true ski sock.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have any extras unless it came with the boot and I'm unaware. I don't want to throw good money after bad though. If these have ended their life expectancy, or I'm just getting to where I know enough to know they aren't right, I would rather get something right then try to fix the wrong. If that makes sense?

Generally custom insoles can be moved from one boot to the next. If you bootfitter understands that this is the intention they should be able to make sure that you'll be able to do that. In this case they may have to trim down the the insole when you go to a smaller boot but I would expect that to be workable.

It might also help to just put an aftermarket insole like a Superfeet in which would be relatively cheap to hold you over.

Sponsor

Staff online