• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Canyon Arrives in Canada!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
No bikes..but the website is up... :ogbiggrin:

Nice bikes. My problem is with their business model. Direct to consumer is awesome. I am a big fan. Because I know what I want and can work on my own bikes. But DTC should come with a discount. But DTC is inherently lower service. Again, I am fine with that (some are not). But Canyon basically says "you'll take my bike, and no local support network, and you'll pay me a premium for it." At least compared to high quality traditional brands like Trek, Spec, etc.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Nice bikes. My problem is with their business model. Direct to consumer is awesome. I am a big fan. Because I know what I want and can work on my own bikes. But DTC should come with a discount. But DTC is inherently lower service. Again, I am fine with that (some are not). But Canyon basically says "you'll take my bike, and no local support network, and you'll pay me a premium for it." At least compared to high quality traditional brands like Trek, Spec, etc.
Yeah you're not wrong. Have to do your due diligence and figure out if the quality of their product works for you based on the price you're paying.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier

Must vary from market to market, in New Zealand Canyon are a bit of a bargain on a like-for-like basis (components, wheelsets etc) with some of those brands. There isn't a premium attached to their products here.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Woman walks into a butcher shop and asks "How much are the pork chops?" Butcher replies "$3.99 a pound" The women says, "The last place was only $2.99 a pound" The butcher then asks "Why didn't you buy them there?". The woman says "They were out of them".

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll be in the market next year or the following on road bike. Hoping inventories start to build back up sooner than later

Erik Timmerman

Instructor

My Canyon Grail was $1000 less than a comparable Trek, Specialized, etc.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My Canyon Grail was $1000 less than a comparable Trek, Specialized, etc.
It may very well be. When I said that, I decided to check my impression before opening my mouth. I went and compared Canyon's endurance road bike to Specialized Roubaix I test rode awhile back. Similarly equipped (105/ultegra) the Canyon was about $800 more. I'll admit, I only checked this one comparison. I'd be happy to know that this doesn't hold across the line if you want to add a data point. I like Canyon bikes (although I've never owned or ridden one, they seem like very nice bikes) and I like DTC in general.

Also, I was comparing a price I was offered by the LBS. I am not at all certain that was list price. My assumption is that Canyon has one price and doesn't "deal" on them aside from occasional closeouts. I might be wrong about this too.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I haven't gone too far into it but my general impression is that they are not significantly cheaper than competing models in our region.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I haven't gone too far into it but my general impression is that they are not significantly cheaper than competing models in our region.
Also, I live in bike central (Sonoma County California). I have actually passed Levi Leipheimer* on a ride before. He lives just far enough up the road from me (or did) that he lost his house in 2017 and I did not. Maybe the big guys make an effort to "own" this market and deal aggressively. Trek has a factory store in town and it seems like every other bike on the road is a Specialized. Marin originated in the county to the South of me. I rarely see Cannondales like my Synapse when I ride. So maybe they just deal more aggressively here?

*"passed" is a relative term: he was going the other way. So I "passed" him.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
So the Trek Emonda ALR 5 105 road bike with discs is $2520 CDN. The Canyon Endurace AL Disc 7.0 105 road bike with discs is $2299. So $200 diff? Pick some nits but basically those are equal...Canyon arguably somewhat better deal because no home-brand bits.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
So the Trek Emonda ALR 5 105 road bike with discs is $2520 CDN. The Canyon Endurace AL Disc 7.0 105 road bike with discs is $2299. So $200 diff? Pick some nits but basically those are equal...Canyon arguably somewhat better deal because no home-brand bits.
I find quite bigger price differences in their higher end stuff... for example the Wmns Ultimate CF SL 8 with di2, disc brakes, and carbon wheels runs $5499... Trek Domane SL7 with pretty much same specs is $8099. I can’t say I’ve found many (if any?) carbon frames with Ultegra di2, disc brakes, and carbon wheels for less than $6k CAD... Giant may have one, but that’s about only one I’ve seen.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
I find quite bigger price differences in their higher end stuff... for example the Wmns Ultimate CF SL 8 with di2, disc brakes, and carbon wheels runs $5499... Trek Domane SL7 with pretty much same specs is $8099. I can’t say I’ve found many (if any?) carbon frames with Ultegra di2, disc brakes, and carbon wheels for less than $6k CAD... Giant may have one, but that’s about only one I’ve seen.

That aligns to the kind of pricing we get in NZ. Often the Canyon will save either a lot of money, or a bit of money with better wheelset and cockpit components than the alternatives.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Yes it seems higher-end favours Canyon. So maybe money to save if you're up in that market.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Here in Europe Canyon is on the low end of the pricing scale, same as Rose. Their bikes regularly come out first in magazine's tests (I'll leave it at that for now).

While their frames are good and configurations well thought through, anything non standard comes at extra cost. And options are virtually non existent which is a major draw-back in my book. You can still swap but at full extra cost, which can boost the price right up to the competition.

In that respect I like Rose a lot better and their bikes are on par with Canyon along with better customer orientation imo.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can't say for Canada nor for US, but over here, when I was getting my Canyon mtb, I paid about 5000eur for it. Similarly equipped Specialized would be in range of 8-9000eur. Not 500eur more, but more like 3000-4000eur more.
As far as service goes, I really don't see any problems with this. When you buy Specialized, you don't get service from Specialized but from LBS. And any normal LBS will service Specialized or Trek or Canyon. Afterall, normally you are actually servicing Shimano or Sram equipment, not Specialized or Canyon frame. But in case if you have issues with frame itself, I have super good experience with Canyon, where frame replacement was done in less then 3 weeks, while standard time to do same, if you are lucky, and Specialized maybe decides they will respect warranty and change it, is, at least over here somewhere between 8 and 12 months. So personally I don't see any benefit of getting bike in LBS vs. direct sale. If any, then it's actually plus on direct sale side, as for issues you are dealing with company directly, not with LBS, who is dealing with national importer (if they are lucky), who is dealing with Specialized EU, who is dealing with Specialized HQ.
But regardless of company, availability at the moment, at least over here in Europe, is issue with every single manufacturer. Part of it is problem with Sram, and especially Shimano, who are not able to provide enough parts, the other is that everyone and their dogs, started to ride bike during pandemic.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January